Post Game assessment

adam

With a night a sleep, looking back at the game on Game Pass, here were my observations:

1. The team should've been more prepared with 11 DAYS to prep for Minnesota. This is on Fox. Game plan for the most part was crap, this is on Loggains. Very predictable. Outside of the trick play for 2pt conversion and fake punt, not much to like. Don't get me started on the penalties. How about those timeouts? Would've been nice to have some at the end of the game. Instead, we used one AFTER MIN used one? How does that happen?

2. Trubisky is the real deal, and Glennon was only part of the problem in the previous losses. Trubisky's ability to move in the pocket, and extend plays outside of it are going to help this offense significantly going forward. He made a rookie mistake on the INT, but if he throws it 2 feet deeper or higher, Miller has a big gain. Maybe more game experience would help?

3. I am baffled as to why we signed Sims and Wheaton, and resigned Leno. Leno is to blame for strip sack which resulted in pts for MIN, and Wheaton's hold got a Howard TD run called back. Both would've been the difference in the game. Wheaton has hands of stone and it looks like he just runs routes to run them, not expecting the ball. Horrible FA signings.

4. Why did we draft Shaheen in the 2nd round? After drafting Trubisky, we needed to surround him with weapons. I hope Shaheen works out, but his lack of snaps and targets is alarming for a 2nd rounder. JuJu Smith-Schuster went 12 picks later and would look really good right now catches passes from Trubisky. If we had Miller/Brown, and signed Sims, what was the point of drafting Shaheen again?

5. The injuries are clearly impacting this team. Very few teams will have success when they are on their 5th stringer at a position like we are at ILB.

Based on that performance, I feel like we are again looking at a 3-4 win season. Right now, we draft 5th:

CLE 0-5

SF 0-5

NYG 0-5

LAC 1-4

CHI 1-4

With a night a sleep, looking back at the game on Game Pass, here were my observations:

1. The team should've been more prepared with 11 DAYS to prep for Minnesota. This is on Fox. Game plan for the most part was crap, this is on Loggains. Very predictable. Outside of the trick play for 2pt conversion and fake punt, not much to like. Don't get me started on the penalties. How about those timeouts? Would've been nice to have some at the end of the game. Instead, we used one AFTER MIN used one? How does that happen?

2. Trubisky is the real deal, and Glennon was only part of the problem in the previous losses. Trubisky's ability to move in the pocket, and extend plays outside of it are going to help this offense significantly going forward. He made a rookie mistake on the INT, but if he throws it 2 feet deeper or higher, Miller has a big gain. Maybe more game experience would help?

3. I am baffled as to why we signed Sims and Wheaton, and resigned Leno. Leno is to blame for strip sack which resulted in pts for MIN, and Wheaton's hold got a Howard TD run called back. Both would've been the difference in the game. Wheaton has hands of stone and it looks like he just runs routes to run them, not expecting the ball. Horrible FA signings.

4. Why did we draft Shaheen in the 2nd round? After drafting Trubisky, we needed to surround him with weapons. I hope Shaheen works out, but his lack of snaps and targets is alarming for a 2nd rounder. JuJu Smith-Schuster went 12 picks later and would look really good right now catches passes from Trubisky. If we had Miller/Brown, and signed Sims, what was the point of drafting Shaheen again?

5. The injuries are clearly impacting this team. Very few teams will have success when they are on their 5th stringer at a position like we are at ILB.

Based on that performance, I feel like we are again looking at a 3-4 win season. Right now, we draft 5th:

CLE 0-5

SF 0-5

NYG 0-5

LAC 1-4

CHI 1-4

1. what do you mean by unprepared?

the game plan on offense was lacking. some of this is probably on loggains but my guess this also was a simplified basic game plan to give the rookie qb in his first start something to work into the starting position. it also has to do with the quality of our wide receivers and the injuries we have at that position. they wanted to incorporate a more solid running game to take off the pressure on trub. this didn't seem to work as expected. that said, loggains at this point is a serious question mark for next season as our OC. i think he is a good plus QB coach though alll in all.

the timeouts are an unknown without confirmation from the coaching staff. it could have been a poor coaching hitch or it could have been the rookie QB having problems with the call or the defensive adjustments.

2. a bit early but i agree. he looks like he could turn into a quality qb.

3. sims: a large TE that in my opinion was brought in for blocking purposes and mismatches in receiving in the red zone. we were/are iffy on our tackle position which has in the past been a problem protecting our qb. this option i believe was enforced to create another good blocker in pass protection who could move to either side of the line to help out our tackles. another benefit for sims is his blocking abilities in a run game which seems this team was/is still trying to make a dominant force. whether this has been implemented correctly or not i can't say but in my opinion it was a good pickup.

wheaton: i can't say one way or the other.

leno: i know everyone wants to make him a scapegoat. in my opinion he is average playing LT. it could be a whole lot worse (anyone remember the logs we have had at that position in the past like pace, omiyale uhh, and the unforgettable web?) in free agency you don't find high quality LT's unless their career is nearly over. this signing gives us a window to draft one and for the most part not kill our qb waiting for one.

4. we drafted shaheen because miller is old and a tower of glass. sims was brought in for his blocking. brown is average. shaheen brings speed and size to the table. this is the move for the future. whether he pans out is another question. he being a rookie and from a smaller school is going to take time. i have no problem with us drafting him.

5. the injuries are a problem. i don't know how this compares to the rest of the nfl but throughout the league there are a lot of them. the vikings themselves have serious injury problems. packers also. a 'possible' way to compare would be analyze the type of injuries and where they occur. at home or away? also how many injuries to other team players playing in chicago.

how many injuries are soft tissue, how many are joint injuries, how many are broken bones (these can't be judged as preventable in my opinion). similar to the philly problems they had in the past that caused numerous injuries due to the crap field.

CLE 0-5

SF 0-5

NYG 0-5

LAC 1-4

CHI 1-4

1. It's sort of pathetic the lack of preparation this team had, isn't it?

2. Agreed.

3. Agreed. Sims and Wheaton made no sense if this is their intended usage.

4. Agreed. Shaheen in the 2nd didn't make a lot of sense since they already had Miller and Sims.

5. Agreed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Pace knew 2017 was going to suck. I don't think he gave a damn about 2017 at all. Trubisky is starting earlier than his plan because of how bad Glennong played, but otherwise he intended to unleash on 2018 with all his fury. That means Miller is likely gone, and Sims is 100% gone. Shaheen either starts or splits with Miller next year. Add in a 2018 draft class that will almost certainly feature OL & WR, both things necessary for a young QB to prosper, and it looks like Pace was planning this all along. Furthermore, it's possible he went early on Trubisky so that he exploit the more highly touted QB class next year (i.e. hopefully better trades).

We shall see, but this season is already done.

1. It's sort of pathetic the lack of preparation this team had, isn't it?

2. Agreed.

3. Agreed. Sims and Wheaton made no sense if this is their intended usage.

4. Agreed. Shaheen in the 2nd didn't make a lot of sense since they already had Miller and Sims.

5. Agreed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Pace knew 2017 was going to suck. I don't think he gave a damn about 2017 at all. Trubisky is starting earlier than his plan because of how bad Glennong played, but otherwise he intended to unleash on 2018 with all his fury. That means Miller is likely gone, and Sims is 100% gone. Shaheen either starts or splits with Miller next year. Add in a 2018 draft class that will almost certainly feature OL & WR, both things necessary for a young QB to prosper, and it looks like Pace was planning this all along. Furthermore, it's possible he went early on Trubisky so that he exploit the more highly touted QB class next year (i.e. hopefully better trades).

We shall see, but this season is already done.

Yep, we aren't sniffing playoffs this year. But I think I'll see some fun football from Biscuit. Next year is ours.

1. what do you mean by unprepared?

the game plan on offense was lacking. some of this is probably on loggains but my guess this also was a simplified basic game plan to give the rookie qb in his first start something to work into the starting position. it also has to do with the quality of our wide receivers and the injuries we have at that position. they wanted to incorporate a more solid running game to take off the pressure on trub. this didn't seem to work as expected. that said, loggains at this point is a serious question mark for next season as our OC. i think he is a good plus QB coach though alll in all.

the timeouts are an unknown without confirmation from the coaching staff. it could have been a poor coaching hitch or it could have been the rookie QB having problems with the call or the defensive adjustments.

I just thought the team as a whole looked unprepared. Between a delay of game AFTER a timeout and a timeout on defense after MIN called one on offense, there just seemed to be a lot of confusion between missed assignments, missed blocks, bad routes, and penalties. All of those are normally tied to preparation.

I'm in a different place here. I thought our defense looked very good especially given the 4th and 5th string ILBs we had in the game. Losing Timu hurt, a lot, and afterward the Vikings went into almost nothing but screen passes which the ILBs couldn't read or stop. I suppose you can blame coaches for not preparing the 6th String ILB to play but I prefer they prepare the starter, Timu, and he looked prepared. Does anyone even know our defense is 6th overall in the league for yards/game? That's been done with quite a few moving pieces at ILB, CB, and OLB. So far we've done this against offenses from Atlanta, Green Bay, Pitt, and Tampa. Minn was the worst offense we've played. Get Kwit and Trev back inside and I'm looking forward to seeing this defense mature this season.

The offense looked physically over-matched throughout at WR. Nobody is shocked at this. This is the best defense we'll see this season with the Panthers being a close second. I'm not worried about the conservative game plan with a rookie QB in his first game against this defense. For all the complaining about how bad our Oline is they gave up just a single sack. Yes it was a strip sack but going into this game I'd have bet most pundits here would expect the Oline to give up far more pressure and sacks. Nor do I care about Trubisky breaking out of the pocket under pressure a few times because that's what other QBs do to us. Other than that strip sack, things were handled well enough for Trubisky to make some reads downfield and then find an outlet to extend the play.

The Vikings showed numerous blitzes overloading both sides of the line and for the most part they were handled well. Yes we kept in TEs to help often but I'm not going to fault Loggains for doing that with a rookie QB in his first start. Maybe others are expecting Trubisky and the WRs, TEs, RBs to all be on the same page for hot reads but I think that stuff will take some time. The scramble plays will get better as receivers get on the same page as Trubisky. He won't always have to use hand signals to tell players where to run. Defenders were reading those too.

Now with game 1 of the Trubisky era out of the way it's time to start sending these TEs, Shaheen/Miller, on some play-action seam routes to start busting up these 8 in the box defenses.

After an initial hard criticism of Trubisky and where he was drafted, I’m beginning to warm to Mitchell as a legitimate QB (this coming from someone who still likes Watson). I’m not still convinced our team needed to do what they did to get him but what is done is done.

Watching the Biscuit in his first start I saw flashes of Manning, Rodgers and Cutler. From listening to Gruden describe him, he said Mitchell has the meticulous preparation not seen all that often. Which to me means he prepares similar to Payton. His calmness while playing seemed very Payton-like with his ability to look over the field without panic written all over his face. He has the elusiveness similar to Rodgers and the accuracy to boot. To Cutler he has the pure arm strength. All of this boils down to Trubisky being a force to be reckoned with.

But to put a point to my appreciation of Trubiskys play I would highlight that touchdown pass to Miller. Watch as he rolled out and seeing Miller was covered as he went right Trub simply took his thumb and beckoned Zach to reverse course (although the defender saw it too and was able to deflect the pass). I’ll be honest that was probably the coolest thing I saw him do during the whole game. That single moment told me he has ‘it’.

I saw a lot of poise from Trubisky. It seemed he was always in control of the situation. 5 drive killing penalties and dropped passes in the first half was a disaster. I didn't see a terrible offensive line as most did. They were simply too many overload looks that the wr's could not take advantage of. I would have liked to see Shaheen used more, as I thought he and Trubisky might have a breakout party together. Defense played well despite the injuries.

I saw a lot of poise from Trubisky. It seemed he was always in control of the situation. 5 drive killing penalties and dropped passes in the first half was a disaster. I didn't see a terrible offensive line as most did. They were simply too many overload looks that the wr's could not take advantage of. I would have liked to see Shaheen used more, as I thought he and Trubisky might have a breakout party together. Defense played well despite the injuries.

Trubisky's #s against the blitz were bad but I want to believe that's more a byproduct of the personnel surrounding him. Hopefully Gentry gets some real playing time and like you I think Shaheen needs to have a bigger presence as well. When I watch GB and Rodgers is under severe pressure you always see his receivers immediately break off route, come back to the ball and finding a way to get open. That's what makes him so dangerous. We need that same thing. Especially with how accurate trubisky is even on the run he could dice up teams if that starts to happen

Trubisky's #s against the blitz were bad but I want to believe that's more a byproduct of the personnel surrounding him. Hopefully Gentry gets some real playing time and like you I think Shaheen needs to have a bigger presence as well. When I watch GB and Rodgers is under severe pressure you always see his receivers immediately break off route, come back to the ball and finding a way to get open. That's what makes him so dangerous. We need that same thing. Especially with how accurate trubisky is even on the run he could dice up teams if that starts to happen

Another thing that will help; and this will take more time for Trubisky to play/develop but, once he gets more time to look off Safety and corner coverage the deep game will come along too. Right now most of his passes are quick reads mostly by design but also partly by necessity. It’s appatenr that even while rolling out he’s able to watch the receivers develop their routes and determine which to go to. Think Watson a few weeks ago where now he’s getting more used to what he’s seeing and becoming that more effective especially in the longer passes.

After an initial hard criticism of Trubisky and where he was drafted, I’m beginning to warm to Mitchell as a legitimate QB (this coming from someone who still likes Watson). I’m not still convinced our team needed to do what they did to get him but what is done is done.

Watching the Biscuit in his first start I saw flashes of Manning, Rodgers and Cutler. From listening to Gruden describe him, he said Mitchell has the meticulous preparation not seen all that often. Which to me means he prepares similar to Payton. His calmness while playing seemed very Payton-like with his ability to look over the field without panic written all over his face. He has the elusiveness similar to Rodgers and the accuracy to boot. To Cutler he has the pure arm strength. All of this boils down to Trubisky being a force to be reckoned with.

But to put a point to my appreciation of Trubiskys play I would highlight that touchdown pass to Miller. Watch as he rolled out and seeing Miller was covered as he went right Trub simply took his thumb and beckoned Zach to reverse course (although the defender saw it too and was able to deflect the pass). I’ll be honest that was probably the coolest thing I saw him do during the whole game. That single moment told me he has ‘it’.

I liked Watson too, it will be interesting to watch the Development of both QB's. One kid playing on a team that was in the Playoff's the year before with some good talent around him and our guy playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers for WR's.

It is very early but I will say I am very excited with what I saw from Trubisky. Monday Night Primetime the kid did not look nervous. I think we may have a real deal QB.

Another thing that will help; and this will take more time for Trubisky to play/develop but, once he gets more time to look off Safety and corner coverage the deep game will come along too. Right now most of his passes are quick reads mostly by design but also partly by necessity. It’s appatenr that even while rolling out he’s able to watch the receivers develop their routes and determine which to go to. Think Watson a few weeks ago where now he’s getting more used to what he’s seeing and becoming that more effective especially in the longer passes.

Watson isn't becoming more effective on longer passes. He's still inaccurate but sometimes his receivers are making the plays. Sometimes. His completion % on passes over 20 yards is little over 25%. Prescott in comparison is well over 50%. These are small sample sizes here so stay tuned.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id.../deshaun-watson

Jay Cutler can tell you that throwing up a jump ball isn't exactly precision passing but if it's Alshon Jeffrey downfield or Brandon Marshall then in some games it works. Other games it doesn't. Watson has work to do in order to be consistently accurate on his medium to deep routes. His work ethic and intelligence may get him there years down the road. I feel the same about Dak Prescott although he seems to struggle more in tight traffic throws (see redzone).

Last year everyone put Prescott in the Hall of Fame. This year Texans fans are already putting Watson there (I've read some of their message boards). Patience is required. When you routinely see Prescott complete passes to players standing still with no defender around them (as it was often last year) you should question things a bit. This year so far Prescott is just an average QB and he already has as many INTs as he did all of last year. He still has a great Oline, great RB, one of the league's best #1 WRs, and a HoF TE to throw to. I don't see a Tom Brady here who is making others great. I see a QB you can win with. That's not all bad and IMO Watson fits in this category as well, but we knew that before the draft.

I still think Trubisky has a higher ceiling despite his (or the Bears') slower start. He has some innate qualities that few possess. I look forward to seeing how this plays out with the rookie QBs if for no other reason to see if I'm right or wrong, and I like the debates. I've been wrong plenty of times about players we drafted over the years but since I started studying the draft a few year ago I've tried to learn more each year about what details to look for in the various positions.

Watson isn't becoming more effective on longer passes. He's still inaccurate but sometimes his receivers are making the plays. Sometimes. His completion % on passes over 20 yards is little over 25%. Prescott in comparison is well over 50%. These are small sample sizes here so stay tuned.

Jay Cutler can tell you that throwing up a jump ball isn't exactly precision passing but if it's Alshon Jeffrey downfield or Brandon Marshall then in some games it works. Other games it doesn't. Watson has work to do in order to be consistently accurate on his medium to deep routes. His work ethic and intelligence may get him there years down the road. I feel the same about Dak Prescott although he seems to struggle more in tight traffic throws (see redzone).

Last year everyone put Prescott in the Hall of Fame. This year Texans fans are already putting Watson there (I've read some of their message boards). Patience is required. When you routinely see Prescott complete passes to players standing still with no defender around them (as it was often last year) you should question things a bit. This year so far Prescott is just an average QB and he already has as many INTs as he did all of last year. He still has a great Oline, great RB, one of the league's best #1 WRs, and a HoF TE to throw to. I don't see a Tom Brady here who is making others great. I see a QB you can win with. That's not all bad and IMO Watson fits in this category as well, but we knew that before the draft.

I still think Trubisky has a higher ceiling despite his (or the Bears') slower start. He has some innate qualities that few possess. I look forward to seeing how this plays out with the rookie QBs if for no other reason to see if I'm right or wrong, and I like the debates. I've been wrong plenty of times about players we drafted over the years but since I started studying the draft a few year ago I've tried to learn more each year about what details to look for in the various positions.

I think this is dead on. I agree completely.

Really great post. I do really wish we had a "safety" blanket for him or at least some real talent at receiver. Hopefully though he can overcome that lack of talent and learn and then this off-season we can inject some life into those weapons. I also hope that with time we see Shaheen come around, but maybe he is just more of a project and it isn't realistic to expect production this year (but hopefully next year). I still would think we'd see him get more comfortable as the year goes on and start to make plays and flash (right now I haven't even noticed the guy on the field).

I just remind myself this is a long-term investment and we need to view things that way and hope we see flashes and increased consistency (in a positive way) as the season goes on.

In the context of ‘better at longer passes’ I mean to suggest that Watson was like Trubisky starting out with doing more short and choreographed passes. With time he’s getting more comfortable with the longer range and longer read passes.

I don’t know of anyone that wanted to put Prescott or Watson up for HOF consideration this early; maybe except for those living in Texas. I would certainly categorize them both as serviceable and perhaps starter quality QBs. Which for Chicago (based on our dismal history at the position) would almost be HOF worthy.

I’m still of the opinion that although the Dallas Oline is considered top notch then why is Elliott only getting 3.7 yards a carry this year as opposed to 5.1 last year? And although he did end up with the most overall yardage last year, our very own Jordan Howard came in a close second? This despite starting four games into the season and having an inferior line?

Based on the results thus far does Pace deserve to be fired?

Loggains?

Fox?

Glennon alone makes me a yes on Pace. And the way he got ass-mastered in moving up one pick.

Fox is also already a yes for me but tough to judge him given the injuries we’ve seen.

Loggains is gone. Unless Trubisky really blossoms under him which I don’t foresee. The kid is good but not good enough to make this clown look any better than John Shoop.

No. It's an incomplete grade. And given what we've seen from Tru...he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

The coaches need to go. And he needs to improve on his NFL FA acquisitions. But, the drafting appears to be solid.

Based on the results thus far does Pace deserve to be fired?

Loggains?

Fox?

Glennon alone makes me a yes on Pace. And the way he got ass-mastered in moving up one pick.

Fox is also already a yes for me but tough to judge him given the injuries we’ve seen.

Loggains is gone. Unless Trubisky really blossoms under him which I don’t foresee. The kid is good but not good enough to make this clown look any better than John Shoop.

I'm really mum on what has transpired so far on the field but, seeing similarities to when in 1982 Jim McMahon was inserted into the lineup during the strike shortened season. When we saw McMahon clearly we knew that he new what he was doing. I saw the same thing in Biscuit. Pre-snap penalties by both OTs and questionable holding penalties on long gaining plays by the offense turned this into a close game when it was clear Sam Bradford was willing to gift wrap the game for the Bears in the first quarter because he clearly was remembering the fact that he replaced the starter under similar circumstances last year and rushed his return.IMO there should be someone on this roster that can be converted to a OL and I'm thinking one candidate is Shaheen. He has the frame, size and athleticism to be a Lane Johnson type at the position.

This franchise went from trying to convert players from defenders to offense and vice-versa for years and now there has been an enormous push for position versatility. I recently kept asking for the Bears to try and convert Jeremy Langford to WR because of his ball skills size and history as a quick study at MSU. This worked back when the team was good with guys like Fencik, Moorehead Bortz, Big Cat and Azumah.

I pick one player a year that I think could make a change and I think Shaheen is the one this year. If this switch was made and we get a starter quality OT in round 2 the draft looks a whole lot different.

No. It's an incomplete grade. And given what we've seen from Tru...he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

The coaches need to go. And he needs to improve on his NFL FA acquisitions. But, the drafting appears to be solid.

My thoughts on FA acquisitions is simple. They are free agents for a reason. They rarely work out that way you want.