Addressing OLB/edge rusher

Stinger226

We still have Floyd which hopefully takes the next step forward but after him:

McPhee--------gone saves 7.1

Young---------- save 4.5 at 32, probably gone

Irwin------------just a cheap prospect

Jones-----------just a cheap prospect

I think we should bring in Houston, younger and cheaper than keeping Young.

Resign Christian Jones to backup both inside and out

Resign Sam Ocho, reliable backup.

In FA: Junior Galette-----on a prove it economical contract

Aaron Lynch-------young with upside

Trent Murphy------- coming off an injury with upside

Adrian Clayborn----- at 29 a good player but probably doesnt fit Paces MO

Will Clarke------------could play several roles in fangios defense

In the draft:

first round----T. Edmunds-

M Davenport

H. Landry

A Key

second round-------Leighton Van Ersch

D Armstrong

S Hubbard

beyond--------------K. Truray

L Carter

J Sweat

D Ejiofor

J Thomas

J Ostman

I would sign A Lynch and draft T Edmunds in the first round

or Leighton Van Ersch in the second

or K Truray in the fourth

We still have Floyd which hopefully takes the next step forward but after him:

McPhee--------gone saves 7.1

Young---------- save 4.5 at 32, probably gone

Irwin------------just a cheap prospect

Jones-----------just a cheap prospect

I think we should bring in Houston, younger and cheaper than keeping Young.

Resign Christian Jones to backup both inside and out

Resign Sam Ocho, reliable backup.

In FA: Junior Galette-----on a prove it economical contract

Aaron Lynch-------young with upside

Trent Murphy------- coming off an injury with upside

Adrian Clayborn----- at 29 a good player but probably doesnt fit Paces MO

Will Clarke------------could play several roles in fangios defense

In the draft:

first round----T. Edmunds-

M Davenport

H. Landry

A Key

second round-------Leighton Van Ersch

D Armstrong

S Hubbard

beyond--------------K. Truray

L Carter

J Sweat

D Ejiofor

J Thomas

J Ostman

I would sign A Lynch and draft T Edmunds in the first round

or Leighton Van Ersch in the second

or K Truray in the fourth

Let's start with FA since that is what Pace has to do...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/footbal...m=.361b4ad564b9

Junior Gallete coming off back to back seasons with torn achilles tendons (2015/16) returned in 2017 with a grand total of 3.0 sacks, and 14 tackles. Hard to imagine he has the explosiveness he once had and it would be a big gamble to rely on him.

-----------------------------------------------

Trent Murphy looks like he fits Pace's ascending player type until we see that he had a torn ACL last year and was also suspended 4 games for performance enhancing drugs.

His draft profile likely fits in the slot where McPhee played for us. More DE than OLB http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/tre...rphy?id=2543503

------------------------------------------------

Aaron Lynch... seems like he might not fit the OLB role but he too had a suspension for drugs of a different type. HIs draft profile does not fit the type of player Pace wants at all:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aar...ynch?id=2543650

/////WEAKNESSES Classic underachiever. Questionable effort, motor and desire. Leaves production on the field. Does not play with passion and lacks urgency. Goes through the motions ////

People change so perhaps he has but that suspension two years ago might indicate otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------

Clayborn...definitely just a DE type. Falcons spent the last two drafts finding pass rushing replacements for him.

Will Clark...like a lesser version of Willie Young. Given his all-time high of 4 sacks, and just 2.5 sacks in 2017 I'd rather keep Young and see if we can lower his cap hit a bit. At least we know we have leadership in the locker room with Young.

Among those FA I would guess that Pace targets Trent Murphy. The ACL injury was in preseason so he's healthy enough for doctors to know how well he's healing. It will depend as well on that performance enhancing suspension and what excuse was behind that. All that adds up to a player who might be willing to gamble on himself with a 1yr deal. If Pace thinks that drugs were not the main reason he had 9 sacks in 2016 I could see a 2yr deal similar to what we did for Hicks. Murphy will still be young enough to hit on a big contract if he plays well.

Draft time...

Knowing the question marks here, including Floyd, along with the weak FA class, this will get addressed in Rd 1 or 2. At best we're replacing McPhee/Young question marks with FA Trent Murphy's question marks. I think we stay at #8 and take Edmunds or Davenport.

Let's start with FA since that is what Pace has to do...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/footbal...m=.361b4ad564b9

Junior Gallete coming off back to back seasons with torn achilles tendons (2015/16) returned in 2017 with a grand total of 3.0 sacks, and 14 tackles. Hard to imagine he has the explosiveness he once had and it would be a big gamble to rely on him.

-----------------------------------------------

Trent Murphy looks like he fits Pace's ascending player type until we see that he had a torn ACL last year and was also suspended 4 games for performance enhancing drugs.

His draft profile likely fits in the slot where McPhee played for us. More DE than OLB http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/tre...rphy?id=2543503

------------------------------------------------

Aaron Lynch... seems like he might not fit the OLB role but he too had a suspension for drugs of a different type. HIs draft profile does not fit the type of player Pace wants at all:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aar...ynch?id=2543650

/////WEAKNESSES Classic underachiever. Questionable effort, motor and desire. Leaves production on the field. Does not play with passion and lacks urgency. Goes through the motions ////

People change so perhaps he has but that suspension two years ago might indicate otherwise.

Clayborn...definitely just a DE type. Falcons spent the last two drafts finding pass rushing replacements for him.

Will Clark...like a lesser version of Willie Young. Given his all-time high of 4 sacks, and just 2.5 sacks in 2017 I'd rather keep Young and see if we can lower his cap hit a bit. At least we know we have leadership in the locker room with Young.

Among those FA I would guess that Pace targets Trent Murphy. The ACL injury was in preseason so he's healthy enough for doctors to know how well he's healing. It will depend as well on that performance enhancing suspension and what excuse was behind that. All that adds up to a player who might be willing to gamble on himself with a 1yr deal. If Pace thinks that drugs were not the main reason he had 9 sacks in 2016 I could see a 2yr deal similar to what we did for Hicks. Murphy will still be young enough to hit on a big contract if he plays well.

Draft time...

Knowing the question marks here, including Floyd, along with the weak FA class, this will get addressed in Rd 1 or 2. At best we're replacing McPhee/Young question marks with FA Trent Murphy's question marks. I think we stay at #8 and take Edmunds or Davenport.

A name I seen mentioned that I never thought of before is Alex Okafor/NO. He had 4.5 sacks in 10 games last year and is the ascending type Pace likes.

6'4" 260 at 27.

May be a fit.

He tore his Achilles and will be available when training camp starts.

A name I seen mentioned that I never thought of before is Alex Okafor/NO. He had 4.5 sacks in 10 games last year and is the ascending type Pace likes.

6'4" 260 at 27.

May be a fit.

He tore his Achilles and will be available when training camp starts.

He's very stiff and won't offer anything at all beyond pass rush. I see him as a quality depth player who can help get some occasional pressure but he won't be nearly as versatile as Acho. Still if Pace decides to remake the entire depth chart and release Young, McPhee (very likely) he could in the mix. I prefer to keep Houston over signing Okafor.

He's very stiff and won't offer anything at all beyond pass rush. I see him as a quality depth player who can help get some occasional pressure but he won't be nearly as versatile as Acho. Still if Pace decides to remake the entire depth chart and release Young, McPhee (very likely) he could in the mix. I prefer to keep Houston over signing Okafor.

I think he will cut ties with McPhee for sure and probably keep Houston over Young. I think he brings back Acho and adds one in FA and drafts a OLB.

Hard to say who he values in FA, but I do not think it will be a expensive signing. If we keep 4 OLBs, you have Floyd-Houston-Acho then a draft pick. If he brings in a FA it will be someone that will have a prove it type contract to fight for a spot.

To get a improved pass rush, they also could be considering upgrading the 5T position. If they add a S. Richardson, or M. Wilkerson that would create more opportunities for the OLBs.

I think he will cut ties with McPhee for sure and probably keep Houston over Young. I think he brings back Acho and adds one in FA and drafts a OLB.

Hard to say who he values in FA, but I do not think it will be a expensive signing. If we keep 4 OLBs, you have Floyd-Houston-Acho then a draft pick. If he brings in a FA it will be someone that will have a prove it type contract to fight for a spot.

To get a improved pass rush, they also could be considering upgrading the 5T position. If they add a S. Richardson, or M. Wilkerson that would create more opportunities for the OLBs.

I agree on those wildcards in Richardson or Wilkerson. I really wonder why Wilkerson fell off so much lately....and here we are:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2...nger/106065894/

I think Pace completely stays away from Richardson and his off the field issues.

If Wilkerson's available this is a potential top tier talent that, if healthy with his mind focused on football again, would completely transform our D. OTOH on a rebuilding team with a new head coach we can't pay a lot of money to someone who will create issues in the locker room. Pace needs to do a lot of homework on this one.

I agree on those wildcards in Richardson or Wilkerson. I really wonder why Wilkerson fell off so much lately....and here we are:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2...nger/106065894/

I think Pace completely stays away from Richardson and his off the field issues.

If Wilkerson's available this is a potential top tier talent that, if healthy with his mind focused on football again, would completely transform our D. OTOH on a rebuilding team with a new head coach we can't pay a lot of money to someone who will create issues in the locker room. Pace needs to do a lot of homework on this one.

think they have the proper information to make the right choice, things I do not know. Just know a healthy stud on the line will Goldman and Hicks would be huge.