The "Let's Help Trubisky"-Mock Draft

jason

Some have talked about how to fix offense or defense, and pointed to defense being closer. This is true. But if the coaches and franchise want Trubisky to succeed, he needs to be given everything he needs. That means weapons and tons of time to throw to the weapons. Here's the mock draft that would fit that bill. Trading down is obviously mandatory.

Your score is: 15527 (GRADE: C+) - Don't care about this score.

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 19 (BUF): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame ( B )-Starts at LT immediately

Round 1 Pick 29 (PITT): Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist ( B+ )-Stud WR and Red Zone mismatch, a crutch for Trubisky.

Round 2 Pick 6: Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama ( A- )-It can't be all offense, and this is great value. Reuniting him with Eddie Jackson could pay huge dividends.

Round 2 Pick 26 (BUF): Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State ( B- )-Lightning in the bottle, great ST return guy.

Round 2 Pick 29 (PITT): Braden Smith, OT/OG, Auburn ( B+ )-Can play inside or outside. In my scenario he plays outside to start. An absolute monster in terms of strength.

Round 3 Pick 20 (CAR): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma ( A- )-Floyd's counterpart to collapse pockets.

Round 4 Pick 6: Maea Teuhema, OG, LSU ( C+ )-One more personal protector. He's depth for when Sitton or Long go down.

Round 4 Pick 7 (HOU): Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma ( A+ )-A little incentive and reinvestment in the QB position.

I'd looooooooove this draft. Can't fix everything, but this is a close attempt. Use FA to pick up defense as needed.

Forgot, what's that site called?

www.first-pick.com. It is fun to do to kill 5-10 minutes

Your score is: 18371 (GRADE: B+) 

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 19 (BUF): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (B) 6'-7" 312

He may not have footwork for LT, but can make elite RT

Round 1 Pick 20 (BUF): Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama (A+) 6'-1" 190

Most complete WR, give him an NFL QB and he can be top 5 in league

Round 2 Pick 6: Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford (A) 6'-4" 290

Versatile, plays DE and NT. Another great to add to rotation

Round 2 Pick 20 (BUF): Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kan 6'-4" 241

Lightning fast pass rusher with a little work can be elite.

Round 4 Pick 6: Holton Hill, CB, Texas (A+) 6'-1" 195

Shut down corner not afraid to hit. Rd1-2 talent

Round 4 Pick 13: Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (A+) 6' 208

Deep speed threat/return man. Trouble with separation to many jukes

Round 5 Pick 6: Jordan Whitehead, FS, Pittsburgh (B+) 5'-11" 190

Lack of size make him drop. Physical playmaker

Round 6 Pick 6: Porter Gustin, OLB, Southern California (A) 6'-4" 255

Uses power and speed to create havoc. Hard to run his side

Round 7 Pick 6: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn

Finding stability here is pretty big need. Need a sure thing

Wanted to find a QB and another o-line but couldn't pass on a few defensive gems that can elevate that side of the ball. Ridley and McGlinchey is what the offense needs to function right away. Campbell and Cohen would make teams fear kicking and add a formula one aspect to the offense. Armstrong paired with Floyd gives the D legit fast pass rushers and Gustin makes a tough SOB for early downs. Hill can start at CB if needed along with Whitehead at S. Phillips is another great DE who can play the Nose to keep youth along the line and finally allow Unrein to move on. Carlson becomes next Bears great K.

Some have talked about how to fix offense or defense, and pointed to defense being closer. This is true. But if the coaches and franchise want Trubisky to succeed, he needs to be given everything he needs. That means weapons and tons of time to throw to the weapons. Here's the mock draft that would fit that bill. Trading down is obviously mandatory.

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 19 (BUF): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame ( B )-Starts at LT immediately

Round 1 Pick 29 (PITT): Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist ( B+ )-Stud WR and Red Zone mismatch, a crutch for Trubisky.

Round 2 Pick 6: Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama ( A- )-It can't be all offense, and this is great value. Reuniting him with Eddie Jackson could pay huge dividends.

Round 2 Pick 26 (BUF): Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State ( B- )-Lightning in the bottle, great ST return guy.

Round 2 Pick 29 (PITT): Braden Smith, OT/OG, Auburn ( B+ )-Can play inside or outside. In my scenario he plays outside to start. An absolute monster in terms of strength.

Round 3 Pick 20 (CAR): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma ( A- )-Floyd's counterpart to collapse pockets.

Round 4 Pick 6: Maea Teuhema, OG, LSU ( C+ )-One more personal protector. He's depth for when Sitton or Long go down.

Round 4 Pick 7 (HOU): Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma ( A+ )-A little incentive and reinvestment in the QB position.

I'd looooooooove this draft. Can't fix everything, but this is a close attempt. Use FA to pick up defense as needed.

That would be a great draft, what gets me about this site, you only have one grade below a B and you get a C+ average. I dont get how they rate the system.

Your Picks:

I love this draft as well. The only exception being the Braden Smith pick. He's a good player, but I'd rather double down on pass rush instead. You can't have too many!

I love this draft as well. The only exception being the Braden Smith pick. He's a good player, but I'd rather double down on pass rush instead. You can't have too many!

I agree on the concept of pass rushers, but I think you can’t have enough OL help for a young QB, and this is a help Trubisky draft. OL and WRs!

I think a top 5 defense helps Trubisky more than anything.

I disagree. Sure it helps but what trubisky needs more than anything is WRs who can at least get open every now and then. Think about it. Inman is by far and away our best WR. But in reality he's nothing more than good #3 or #4 option. Nobody else is worth a damn. And this Oline once again like I was saying since preseason can't stay healthy. We are close to having a top 5 defense but unless trubisky gets some weapons none of it will matter in my opinion

Nah. A top 5 D and a garbage OL turns him into a shell-shocked QB, like David Carr or Jay Cutler.

I guess I put it wrongly. 2 oline is good. 3 rookies may be too many at once. We have to hit on a pass rusher. And you reciever covered well. Plus our OL is not a current weakness. Adding a 3rd rook is not going to accelerate the upgrade as quickly as a second OLB would upgrade the D.

I guess I put it wrongly. 2 oline is good. 3 rookies may be too many at once. We have to hit on a pass rusher. And you reciever covered well. Plus our OL is not a current weakness. Adding a 3rd rook is not going to accelerate the upgrade as quickly as a second OLB would upgrade the D.

You're conflating two things. I'm not talking about helping the D. Also, I completely disagree that adding two 1st-round talents to the Chicago Bears' OL wouldn't help. The Bears OL is still a weakness, just not as great a weakness as it once was. Leno is still average at best, Sitton is playing pretty well, Whitehair has been significantly worse this year, Long has been injured and not as good, and Massie sucks.

McGlinchey would easily beat out Leno before the second preseason game, and Braden Smith would probably beat out Massie.

I don't like the idea of two rookies on the OL, but if the talent is far superior, then the years of experience don't matter as much.

You're conflating two things. I'm not talking about helping the D. Also, I completely disagree that adding two 1st-round talents to the Chicago Bears' OL wouldn't help. The Bears OL is still a weakness, just not as great a weakness as it once was. Leno is still average at best, Sitton is playing pretty well, Whitehair has been significantly worse this year, Long has been injured and not as good, and Massie sucks.

McGlinchey would easily beat out Leno before the second preseason game, and Braden Smith would probably beat out Massie.

I don't like the idea of two rookies on the OL, but if the talent is far superior, then the years of experience don't matter as much.

I am good taking two OTs. If we are at 6 and Orlando Brown is there, you have to take him. He reminds me of Dallas LT Tyron Smith. He would anchor that side for 10 plus years. I can see them taking Bradley Chubb OLB also, but building around Trubisky should be the focus. If we don't move down rd 1, then we should consider doing so round 2 to try get back the lost 3rd.

Your score is: 19593 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20 (BUF): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (B)

Round 2 Pick 6: Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A-)

Round 2 Pick 11 (LAC): Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State (A)

Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): D.J. Chark, WR, LSU (B+)

Round 2 Pick 21 (DET): Martez Ivey, OT/OG, Florida (A)

Round 3 Pick 23 (TENN): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma (A-)

Round 3 Pick 32 (BUF): Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (A+)

Round 4 Pick 6: Cameron Smith, ILB, Southern California (A-)

Round 4 Pick 13: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A)

Round 5 Pick 6: Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (A-)

Round 6 Pick 6: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)

Round 7 Pick 6: Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington (A)

Your score is: 19593 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20 (BUF): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (B)

Round 2 Pick 6: Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A-)

Round 2 Pick 11 (LAC): Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State (A)

Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): D.J. Chark, WR, LSU (B+)

Round 2 Pick 21 (DET): Martez Ivey, OT/OG, Florida (A)

Round 3 Pick 23 (TENN): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma (A-)

Round 3 Pick 32 (BUF): Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (A+)

Round 4 Pick 6: Cameron Smith, ILB, Southern California (A-)

Round 4 Pick 13: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A)

Round 5 Pick 6: Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (A-)

Round 6 Pick 6: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)

Round 7 Pick 6: Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington (A)

Wow , in the 19000, that's impressive.

We are never going to have that many trades in a realistic draft so lets limit it to two trades to keep it real.

my shot at it

Round 1 Pick 11 (LAC): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (B-)

Round 2 Pick 6: Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist (A)

Round 2 Pick 11 (LAC): Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn (A)

Round 3 Pick 11 (LAC): Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon ©

Round 4 Pick 6: Chad Thomas, DE, Miami (FL) (B)

Round 4 Pick 13: Auden Tate, WR, Florida State (C+)

Round 5 Pick 6: Trevon Young, OLB, Louisville (D+)

Round 6 Pick 6: DCota Dixon, SS, Wisconsin (C+)

Round 7 Pick 6: Aidan Schneider, K, Oregon (A)

What I did was use GNB 's top 100 instead of how FirstPick rated them, ( I like their site)

I only made one trade a 1-11, 2-11, 3-11 for my 1-6.

the players rating by top 100

first pick was ranked 7th best player

second pick was 17 th

pick 3 was 12th

pick 4 was 53 rd

the rest were need picks in Individual rankings for position

pick 5 was 18th ranked DE but will be OLB

pick 6 was 5th ranked WR

pick 7 was 14th ranked OLB

pick 8 13th ranked S

pick 9 was a K, forget the rankings

Nah. A top 5 D and a garbage OL turns him into a shell-shocked QB, like David Carr or Jay Cutler.

Agree, I love me some D but when your offense gets your QB killed down after down and you go 3 and out or turn over the ball with regularity it won't matter how good your D is they will wear down as the game goes on as they're on the field most of the game and often put in bad positions. A dominant D can keep you in games but at some point your offense has to do something. Right now we don't even have an offense that can sustain drives very often for our D to actually rest.

Absolutely agree with this! I was telling a friend that Mitch Trubisky reminds me of David Carr and I hope the Bears don't ruin him like the Texans ruined Carr.

The Oline is weak in FAgency and it is a must for us to move forward with any kind of offense, so we have to draft 2 OTs .

One thing we overlooked this year is we had a new Oline coach and I think when we turn over the coaching staff, that is a priority. I think we can attribute Whitehair taking a step back from more than just being a moving part.

Next year I think we bring back Sitton, Whitehair takes a step forward and hopefully Long now has time to be healed, we will have our inside strength of the Oline back in shape. Remember we have Kush on IR as well as Morgan gaining strength so we will have a solid 5 inside.

The OTs is another story, Leno is very average and on some days sucks. I think we draft a stud OT and if possible get two in the draft. If not, then at least have the stud play RT for one year until we get in the area where Leno can be released in two years and groom a guy to play RT. In 2019 Leno's cap hit will be down to 2.7 mil.

There are many good WRs in FAgency so sign two , get Inman and Meredith back, then draft a WR in the first couple of rounds.

That takes care of helping TRubisky to go with a good running game.

I hope the hell our new OC realizes that Howard is a power runner and quit the running outside crap.

The Oline is weak in FAgency and it is a must for us to move forward with any kind of offense, so we have to draft 2 OTs .

One thing we overlooked this year is we had a new Oline coach and I think when we turn over the coaching staff, that is a priority. I think we can attribute Whitehair taking a step back from more than just being a moving part.

Next year I think we bring back Sitton, Whitehair takes a step forward and hopefully Long now has time to be healed, we will have our inside strength of the Oline back in shape. Remember we have Kush on IR as well as Morgan gaining strength so we will have a solid 5 inside.

The OTs is another story, Leno is very average and on some days sucks. I think we draft a stud OT and if possible get two in the draft. If not, then at least have the stud play RT for one year until we get in the area where Leno can be released in two years and groom a guy to play RT. In 2019 Leno's cap hit will be down to 2.7 mil.

There are many good WRs in FAgency so sign two , get Inman and Meredith back, then draft a WR in the first couple of rounds.

That takes care of helping TRubisky to go with a good running game.

I hope the hell our new OC realizes that Howard is a power runner and quit the running outside crap.

You know I completely forgot we changed oline coaches. That definitely could have affected at least the step backwards from whitehair. I'm not sure that pace would draft a new LT just 1 yr after giving Leno that extension. This is 1 pace missed on. Never should have extended him. On paper I love the inside of our line. Unfortunately for 2 yrs now we have loved the inside but those guys can't stay healthy. Especially long and sitton. At this point I'm starting to wonder if long is injury prone. I sure hope we can get the line right especially on the health department. We will never know about them if they can't become available on game day.

You know I completely forgot we changed oline coaches. That definitely could have affected at least the step backwards from whitehair. I'm not sure that pace would draft a new LT just 1 yr after giving Leno that extension. This is 1 pace missed on. Never should have extended him. On paper I love the inside of our line. Unfortunately for 2 yrs now we have loved the inside but those guys can't stay healthy. Especially long and sitton. At this point I'm starting to wonder if long is injury prone. I sure hope we can get the line right especially on the health department. We will never know about them if they can't become available on game day.

I don't fault Pace for signing Leno. He is not great, but not bad either. We may not get a shot at drafting a great LT and OLB and WR are just as big of a need as OTs. Many scouts are already saying McGlinchey and Brown don't have the footwork to contain speed rushers, so Pace at least hedged the bet covering that future need with a favorable contract for the Bears. I think Brown would have a better chance because of his size/length and strength alone. They say one of the better prospects is Mitch Hyatt and he is very similar to Leno. I would rather try McGlinchey or Brown, worst case is they make a great RT.

I am starting to think Long is damaged goods. We re-signed him while he was injured as a good faith type of deal. He needed multiple surgeries last season but his body didn't respond well and they decided to put off the shoulder surgery, which may have caused him to break down by having to compensate for that. Hopefully he gets everything fixed up this off season and returns to the old Kyle.

I don't fault Pace for signing Leno. He is not great, but not bad either. We may not get a shot at drafting a great LT and OLB and WR are just as big of a need as OTs. Many scouts are already saying McGlinchey and Brown don't have the footwork to contain speed rushers, so Pace at least hedged the bet covering that future need with a favorable contract for the Bears. I think Brown would have a better chance because of his size/length and strength alone. They say one of the better prospects is Mitch Hyatt and he is very similar to Leno. I would rather try McGlinchey or Brown, worst case is they make a great RT.

I am starting to think Long is damaged goods. We re-signed him while he was injured as a good faith type of deal. He needed multiple surgeries last season but his body didn't respond well and they decided to put off the shoulder surgery, which may have caused him to break down by having to compensate for that. Hopefully he gets everything fixed up this off season and returns to the old Kyle.

f you go by PFF , Leno is in the middle rating, and the money wasnt great, but against SF, he totally sucked. I would be happy if we just drafted all O lineman and WRs in the draft and rolled the dice. Free agent WRs have several good players so we wont need to do that, but both of those positions are critical to advancing MT as a future franchise QB.

Since most of you have known me for a good 10+ years, you all know that I am a huge proponent of the offensive line. That being said, I have a problem with drafting 3 OL next year with the thought that it will help Trubisky next season. I would like to revisit why bettering our defense by taking one of those OL picks and turning it into another pass rusher would have greater impact.

What is our team identity? The answer is that we have none. What are we closer to having? Obviously defense. What do we lack on defense? Pass rush. By getting two OLB, we are adding much needed youth and speed to our OLB corps. This helps Trubisky in many ways. It gets the offense more snaps, tires the opposing defense, we get to control the clock, it takes pressure off of the offense to score more points and helps the offense open things up with less fear, knowing the defense will take care of business.

What will that 3rd OL do? Provide depth. Odds are, if you are starting 3 OL, you are in big trouble. Thus, not helping Trubisky…

Remember, I definitely advocate 2 OL in this draft while getting a high level OL early in FA. That coupled with a returning from injury WR’s, drafted WR and a couple of FA WR will give the QB what he needs.

Defense still wins championships, not one backup OL.

Since most of you have known me for a good 10+ years, you all know that I am a huge proponent of the offensive line. That being said, I have a problem with drafting 3 OL next year with the thought that it will help Trubisky next season. I would like to revisit why bettering our defense by taking one of those OL picks and turning it into another pass rusher would have greater impact.

What is our team identity? The answer is that we have none. What are we closer to having? Obviously defense. What do we lack on defense? Pass rush. By getting two OLB, we are adding much needed youth and speed to our OLB corps. This helps Trubisky in many ways. It gets the offense more snaps, tires the opposing defense, we get to control the clock, it takes pressure off of the offense to score more points and helps the offense open things up with less fear, knowing the defense will take care of business.

What will that 3rd OL do? Provide depth. Odds are, if you are starting 3 OL, you are in big trouble. Thus, not helping Trubisky…

Remember, I definitely advocate 2 OL in this draft while getting a high level OL early in FA. That coupled with a returning from injury WR’s, drafted WR and a couple of FA WR will give the QB what he needs.

Defense still wins championships, not one backup OL.

Couldn't the same be said of drafting two OLBs? Only one can start opposite of Floyd. I know, I know...rotations, but it's a similar scenario.

Defense may win championships, but with the way the NFL has changed the past 20 years without the Bears adjusting, it's about time the Bears focused heavily on offense. And that means doing whatever they can to protect their franchise QB and provide him with weapons.

Couldn't the same be said of drafting two OLBs? Only one can start opposite of Floyd. I know, I know...rotations, but it's a similar scenario.

Defense may win championships, but with the way the NFL has changed the past 20 years without the Bears adjusting, it's about time the Bears focused heavily on offense. And that means doing whatever they can to protect their franchise QB and provide him with weapons.

It's an easy no to your question for the reason you gave and more. OL have a greater chance of success as a start. OLB has a greater risk of injury. It's much easier covering up for a missing OL. No substitute for someone gettIng after the QB. Can't find pass rushers in FA, like you can veteran OL.

It's an easy no to your question for the reason you gave and more. OL have a greater chance of success as a start. OLB has a greater risk of injury. It's much easier covering up for a missing OL. No substitute for someone gettIng after the QB. Can't find pass rushers in FA, like you can veteran OL.

The problem this year is there is no high end OTs that fits Paces assending type player.

As far as OLBs not much there unless you want to add a Junior Gillette that didnt pan out in Wash.

Your score is: 19201 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:

***Moved down 2 spots for a 2nd, why not.***

Round 1 Pick 10 (WASH): Connor Williams, OT, Texas (A+)

My first thought is to go with Orlando Brown, but realistically he will be a RT in the NFL. If we have a shot at a lock down LT, I prefer to go that route. Leno is not terrible, but the stronger the oline the easier it is for Trubisky/Howard/Cohen. To be honest, seeing another "Williams OT" again on a Bears draft board makes me cringe a little.

Round 2 Pick 10 (WASH): Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A-)

Not technically a need, but he was by far the BPA. Amos is actually performing well, this pick will help elevate him more or insurance.

***Didn't see what I wanted at 8, so traded down to 19 and gained a 3rd.***

Round 2 Pick 19 (DET): Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kansas (B+)

With Floyd on one side and another flashy edge rusher on the other, the Bears can rattle QB's into INT's or sacks. I don't think Armstrong will last this late. He will be raw, but his speed is unteachable.

Round 3 Pick 19 (DET): Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis (A+)

This guy has hands, runs good routes, and can run after the catch. Looking for our own Antonio Brown and Miller is my version this draft.

Round 4 Pick 8: Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford (A+)

Good size and family traits, son of NFL coach Ron Meeks. Seems like a tough defender Chicago would like that can also take away the ball.

Round 4 Pick 13: Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (A+)

Lack of QB hurt his production, but a quick wideout that can stretch the field, return kicks. He does have trouble getting separation, but with proper coaching, he can improve on that.

Round 5 Pick 8: Tyrell Crosby, OT/G, Oregon (A)

I love digging into the Oregon Ducks for linemen anymore. Crosby plays LT at Oregon, but will be a better fit inside at G or RT. The Right side could potentially be C-Grasu, RG-Long, RT-Crosby? With Williams LT and Whitehair LG

Round 6 Pick 8: Porter Gustin, OLB, Southern California (A-)

Strong enough to set the edge in run defense and decent speed to rush the pass. He will most likely be long gone here, he compares a lot to Clay Matthews, so I'd imagine GB snags him.

Round 7 Pick 8: Justin Yoon, K, Notre Dame (A+)

Need to find a long term solution at K.