Arch gone

Connorbear

"In a surprising move, the Chicago Bears released safety Adam Archuleta, a little more than a year after they acquired him in a trade."

This is a clear indication that the media has no clue and just bases their "reporting" on highlight reels. Every diehard Chicago fan knows that Arch sucked last year, and with the addition of Steltz, the writing was on the wall.

Is there any benefit in doing this now compared to after June 1st?

I know he sucked last year, but the Bears hastily got rid of DB's last year and paid for it (Wesley and Harris). Harris could've really been used last year.

I know he sucked last year, but the Bears hastily got rid of DB's last year and paid for it (Wesley and Harris). Harris could've really been used last year.

It just helps AA find a team earlier.

Yeah, that's the surprising part. I don't think anyone that really follwed last years mess on D felt that Adam should or would be sticking around. Hope the new kid can contribute.

Guest TerraTor
"In a surprising move, the Chicago Bears released safety Adam Archuleta, a little more than a year after they acquired him in a trade."

This is a clear indication that the media has no clue and just bases their "reporting" on highlight reels. Every diehard Chicago fan knows that Arch sucked last year, and with the addition of Steltz, the writing was on the wall.

It was a surprise because we all figured they'd just kill him,,, hahaha, god hes terrible.

Ya losing Harris sucked. We thought he was expendable because safety was a spot we were strong at. Turns out, not so much. I think Harris led the league in tackles and forced fumbles at the safety position in Carolina last year too.

Ya losing Harris sucked. We thought he was expendable because safety was a spot we were strong at. Turns out, not so much. I think Harris led the league in tackles and forced fumbles at the safety position in Carolina last year too.

Yeah, I thought the Harris thing was sort of premature. They didn't even see how Arch would play, yet Harris was gone before Arch ever played a down for the Bears. Then, like you said, lead the league and would've seriously helped out the D last year.

I was thinking the same thing. If he's that bad you either:

a) Cut him before free agency begins, or

B) Wait until training camp to cut him.

Seriously: What were we waiting for?

I was thinking the same thing. If he's that bad you either:

a) Cut him before free agency begins, or

B) Wait until training camp to cut him.

Seriously: What were we waiting for?

Someone mentioned Steltz's performance in the minicamp probably had a lot to do with it.

or

Arch was one of the River Authority Officials that sprayed Benson.

A minicamp is enough to evaluate Steltz? How many tackles did he make in those practices at game speed? We know he made one big hit because the coaches got on him for hit, I think against the new TE. These were all rookies running around at their first practice. Bottom line is that Steltz was a warm body and that was good enough to replace Arch, even if Steltz hasn't played a down yet. I though we'd have waited until training camp to make the cut but I guess we move on now.

It may be more than just Steltz. IMHO, the staff may feel McGowan or Payne would be equal to Arch, and are further hoping Steltz is an upgrade to those two. If the staff felt Arch was lower on the depth chart than Payne and McGowan, then this move makes more sense.

I think it should also be pointed out the staff tends to try and release players sooner rather than later, as a show of respect for the player as that player has a better opportunity to find a job elsewhere.

It may be more than just Steltz. IMHO, the staff may feel McGowan or Payne would be equal to Arch, and are further hoping Steltz is an upgrade to those two. If the staff felt Arch was lower on the depth chart than Payne and McGowan, then this move makes more sense.

I think it should also be pointed out the staff tends to try and release players sooner rather than later, as a show of respect for the player as that player has a better opportunity to find a job elsewhere.

Agreed. I think Arch they had sitting there waiting for a Payne to show health or a new guy to be drafted. As far as him finding a job elsewhere... I think he's toast. Our D was supposed to tailored to his skill set and he flat out stunk.