Lovie Smith FIRED as HC

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep waiting to hear this news of Smith being shown the door. Has anyone in the City heard anything for sure at this point? It would be a very good thing if it finally does happen. According to CBS Sports, Chucky is willing to come out of the broadcast booth at ESPN to return to the sidelines. May be an interesting hire in Chicago.

I keep waiting to hear this news of Smith being shown the door. Has anyone in the City heard anything for sure at this point? It would be a very good thing if it finally does happen. According to CBS Sports, Chucky is willing to come out of the broadcast booth at ESPN to return to the sidelines. May be an interesting hire in Chicago.

Huh? The news is official. An NFL Network guy, a Sun Times guy, and another ST guy all reported it.

David Kaplan

Tremendously well connected source tells me this AM that even had GB won Smith would have been fired if Bears did not make deep playoff run

I find this very interesting and telling. Assuming this was the case, then the Bears should already have a pretty good idea of who they are targeting. Of realistic candidates, Bill O'Brien would be my preferred hire. I know there is no way Emery is hiring a proven head coach. I'm also warming up to Mike Holmgren.

I must be crazy but don't want Jon Gruden. I have a hard time forgetting how bad the Bucs got as he got power happy. That said they aged and lost a lot of talent.

From a tradition and current roster standpoint, we have to be one of the best coaching jobs available in a long time. If some former HC's (Cowher, Billick, Gruden) were waiting for the right job, this one would be hard to pass on. Also, if we are looking for a College-level coach, they have a lot to work with right away.

From ESPN 1000:

- Bears / Emery will look hard at College coaches

- Bill Muschamp is someone that Emery is close with according to Silvy Could get interview

- Geroge McCaskey had lot of say in Lovie firing….

- Ted Phillips not safe might be re assigned and George McCaskey would take over in his place……

- Green Bay game and Vikes beating Green Bay to get into playoffs played role…..

- Lovie would have been fired even if they made playoffs Lovie would have had to make deep run to stay on

To me, McCoy isn't a great hire. He has Peyton Manning. He is their OC.

That was my first thought as well. Then I realized that the guy has worked with some pretty awful-mediocre quarterbacks and helped change the offense around them, and did a very admirable job. Tim Tebow comes to mind. Kyle Orton started throwing for 300 yard games with him as coordinator, though McDaniels I believe was responsible for calling plays. He also had a hand in changing Jake Delhomme into a more than serviceable quarterback. Fairly impressive resume. I would agree that he's a risk whenever you have Peyton Manning. Hard to gauge how good the guy actually is. Guess that's why they do interviews.

here are the top coaches i would like to see in chicago (sean payton is off the market):

1. bill cowher: although defensive minded this guy still can coach and knows how to surround himself with good personnel. maybe the only defensive minded coach i give the keys to the franchise to.

2. andy reid: i understand the problems in philly but this guy can still coach and has tons of experience. a new venue may be just what he needs to succeed.

3. mike holmgren: another very good coach but BAD gm/coach. in truth i would bring him in with NO reservations at all as a head coach. he knows qb's and knows how to get the most out of an offense. brings in good support coaches also. i would also like him in the position that sweaty teddy is in even with the cleveland situation.

4. a dark horse is seriously jimmy johnson. this guy can work with a very young group of players and sift out the flotsam. a proven winner with an offensive mind.

5. a very dark horse... brian billick. never did a lot with the ravens offense but i still think this guy knows offensive football. just maybe.

i have chosen the above because... i want a good proven coach who has done it before. call them retreads or whatever you want. i am TIRED of on the job training for head coaches. at this point we need someone to move us UP the ladder. we have never hired a head coach in this franchises modern history who has been a head coach in the NFL. it's time.

some others will surface but for now this is my short list.

Good for Emery.

THe only name I've heard is McCoy from DEN.

I find this very interesting and telling. Assuming this was the case, then the Bears should already have a pretty good idea of who they are targeting. Of realistic candidates, Bill O'Brien would be my preferred hire. I know there is no way Emery is hiring a proven head coach. I'm also warming up to Mike Holmgren.

I must be crazy but don't want Jon Gruden. I have a hard time forgetting how bad the Bucs got as he got power happy. That said they aged and lost a lot of talent.

Seriously!

AND IT'S THE BEARS!!!! BEST JOB EVER!!!!

From a tradition and current roster standpoint, we have to be one of the best coaching jobs available in a long time. If some former HC's (Cowher, Billick, Gruden) were waiting for the right job, this one would be hard to pass on. Also, if we are looking for a College-level coach, they have a lot to work with right away.

I thought the same about making the most of Orton and Tebow...

I simply will trust Emery on this one... Good luck Mr Emery!

That was my first thought as well. Then I realized that the guy has worked with some pretty awful-mediocre quarterbacks and helped change the offense around them, and did a very admirable job. Tim Tebow comes to mind. Kyle Orton started throwing for 300 yard games with him as coordinator, though McDaniels I believe was responsible for calling plays. He also had a hand in changing Jake Delhomme into a more than serviceable quarterback. Fairly impressive resume. I would agree that he's a risk whenever you have Peyton Manning. Hard to gauge how good the guy actually is. Guess that's why they do interviews.