The day after

Uncle Buck

Good morning. I’m not capable of sharing anything new but my own perspective. We’ve had two games back to back against the elite teams of the league. While we were missing some vital players yesterday I don’t think the presence of Quinn and Hicks would have significantly altered the results. So the baseline has been established and looking at it I find our team lacking significantly. Since Ryan Pace arrived the Bears have been 39-48. Can anyone tell me that they feel the foundation of this team has been established(O and D lines)? I submit that this team has been average to mediocre since his arrival and there has been no ascension- I think 2018 was an outlier. Without a solid foundation a team cannot be agile enough to adapt to changes in the league. Plain and simple, the current leadership has not closed the gap. Incremental gains , maybe, but you got to do better than that to keep your job UNLESS the McCaskey family’s target has been to be mediocre all along. Our o line has gotten worse, drafting two tackles this year doesn’t excuse the sins of the past. Maybe the d line has some worthwhile foundation to it, but the linchpin can’t stay healthy for the last two seasons. I look at this leadership’s performance and it leaves me frustrated going into games like Tampa Bay where I knew what we were up against and still I was angered at the results. I keep expecting something from Nagy and all I get is blah.

It was a odd game. The players were lethargic for the most part. No one seemed to care that they were getting blown out. Why is Fields just sitting on the bench with a dead stare? Get a tablet and coach over to him and go over what went wrong and look at the next play. Players normally converse on the sideline to make adjustments, I didn't see any fire. It was like they didn't want to be there. Zero sacks and only a few splash plays on defense. The offense was Herbert on his own. Embarrassing performance, worse teams at least competed, the Bears gave up. This team is underachieving and the coaches are terrible. Mike Furrey should be fired. The WR room is a mess. 

34 minutes ago, adam said:

This team is underachieving and the coaches are terrible. Mike Furrey should be fired. The WR room is a mess. 

I've watched every Bears game so far this year.  I also watch a few others games in parts on Sundays, Monday and Thursday.  I don't get to see the all 22 to see what receivers are doing during a play but from my eyes I am shocked at how many other teams seem to be able to get their receivers a lot more separation that the Bears ever seem to get.  And when they do catch a pass they always seem to have to be perfect throws.  I know I'm being a little over the top but not by much.  It's like the Bears receivers are going up against HOF corners every week.  

The OL does okay in Run blocking but not good in pass protection. There is a history of backup running backs playing well in the NFL and falling when they become the lead back. We have DM for another year and Hebert here so it will play  itself out and be a strength for the team.

I still like Fields - but obviously I would have liked to thinks go better for him to start. I think he has the right attitude and intangibles. I agree with others that he doesn't look near as explosive as I expected (given his 40 speed) but I think that is because he is thinking too much out there.  I also go back to this is not the right offense / set-up for a rookie QB, especially one with Fields skill sets and current limitations.  Tony Romo was brutal in the 1st half re: what the Bears were doing with Fields and I think it is pretty clear to everyone how bad this offensive scheme is.  

This team is probably a 7/8/9th best team in NFC as I think the defense is actually pretty good (nothing they could have done on Sunday) and Dalton can make this offense look okay enough....but the whole point is this is an awful offense to actually develop anyone in and beyond that the skill position talent and oline remain weak.  If you want to go all in on offense, than show it and start doing it.

I don't know that getting rid of Nagy now vs. later changes anything unfortunately until the off-season, but it might. I also don't think Lazor is amazing and he is stuck inheriting what he has in terms of a really weak offensive scheme.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I agree with others that he doesn't look near as explosive as I expected (given his 40 speed) but I think that is because he is thinking too much out there.

I think Fields speed is a straight line speed.  Not the quickness or fast twitch ability of a Murray or Jackson.  

as a coach, how do you get the performance you got from Herbert, and still not manage more than 3 points? It's not like Nagy has the answers and the players are failing him. Herbert had one great run after another, but once again, Nagy failed to create a rhythm out of the running game, and covert it into points.

It doesn't take an expert to see this train wreck now.

46 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

as a coach, how do you get the performance you got from Herbert, and still not manage more than 3 points? It's not like Nagy has the answers and the players are failing him. Herbert had one great run after another, but once again, Nagy failed to create a rhythm out of the running game, and covert it into points.

It doesn't take an expert to see this train wreck now.

We have another issue once Montgomery returns.  Herbert in my eyes has earned the opportunity to split carries or at least close to it.  When watching Herbert run, I see something special.  

32 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We have another issue once Montgomery returns.  Herbert in my eyes has earned the opportunity to split carries or at least close to it.  When watching Herbert run, I see something special.  

I agree, but not an issue,  this is Montgomery's team for the rest of this year when he returns and if he does what he has starting next year as well.  D. Williams has now become the 3rd back.  Maybe a trade piece for a low pick.  The only bright piece on offense is RB room.  But not enough to keep this staff. 

I am concerned about Fields and is development and wonder if we should be going back to Dalton because if the offense improves drastically then Fields would be better served watching from the side lines. 

Another question I have is Fields at this stage better than what Trubisky was producing and is he going to develop because if not we should have kept Trubisky, saved the draft picks and got a head coach who can develop QB’s

Fields definitely has some growth to do, but MT thrived when the offense was dumbed down to fit his style. With the problem at RT in this game , it kept blowing up plays. We can run the ball but shotgun is not doing it for Fields. He hangs in the pocket to long before he moves( trying to make a play downfield), making mistakes. We need to do more play action, go back to giving the OL more help in blocking schemes, and roll out Fields. Im not very bright, and I can see that. All of his mistakes were pressures as he sat in the pocket. 

After hearing the press conferences, this is all coaching. Dropped passes, missed assignments, etc. The sideline calls into Fields' headset and tells him he has a free play and to get up to the line and hike the ball. That's why that play looked so bad, no one was ready for it. If you watch the TV copy, the ball is actually hiked while CBS has a graphic on the screen, it was that fast. ARob falls down and the ball is intercepted. Two weeks in a row on plays like that is unacceptable. The Mooney tip interception, this was not a fingertips tip, that was full hands and should've been caught. Kmet on a crucial 3rd down after the long Herbert run, drops an easy first down. Nichols getting ejected for punching a guy. This is all on coaching, discipline, and accountability. Johnson giving 10 yards of cushion then let's his WR run right past him. ARob jogging routes. The list goes on and on. If I am coaching, I'm benching players left and right. You want a big contract, try to get one from the bench. 

BLUF: Fire Nagy

On 10/26/2021 at 4:46 AM, adam said:

After hearing the press conferences, this is all coaching. Dropped passes, missed assignments, etc. The sideline calls into Fields' headset and tells him he has a free play and to get up to the line and hike the ball. That's why that play looked so bad, no one was ready for it. If you watch the TV copy, the ball is actually hiked while CBS has a graphic on the screen, it was that fast. ARob falls down and the ball is intercepted. Two weeks in a row on plays like that is unacceptable. The Mooney tip interception, this was not a fingertips tip, that was full hands and should've been caught. Kmet on a crucial 3rd down after the long Herbert run, drops an easy first down. Nichols getting ejected for punching a guy. This is all on coaching, discipline, and accountability. Johnson giving 10 yards of cushion then let's his WR run right past him. ARob jogging routes. The list goes on and on. If I am coaching, I'm benching players left and right. You want a big contract, try to get one from the bench. 

BLUF: Fire Nagy

100%

Rarely do we get long drives with rhythm. Always something screws up, missed block, dropped pass or penalty. I think other than the offensive line, we have talent in place. I think the scheme is so player unfriendly, it just looks like a mess all the time. With a rookie QB and running the ball well, we only have play action 16% of the time in the last game. That is totally lame. 

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Rarely do we get long drives with rhythm. Always something screws up, missed block, dropped pass or penalty. I think other than the offensive line, we have talent in place. I think the scheme is so player unfriendly, it just looks like a mess all the time. With a rookie QB and running the ball well, we only have play action 16% of the time in the last game. That is totally lame. 

It is infuriating. It's literally one play a drive and with no WRs getting open, bad play design and a bad O-Line, that is incredibly hard to overcome.

The crazy part about the play action is Fields is lethal w/ PA, yet they rarely call it. Most of his sacks and INTs come from non-PA calls. This is not rocket science. 

This seemed like as a good place as any to lament the extremely lucky (Packers) while unfortunate (Cardinals) win last night by the Cheeseheads. (What happened AJ Green?). While the meme circulates around showing Rodgers all jacked up after being hit, we’re reminded how comfortable Rodgers is in assuming refs will call every petty penalty in his favor.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This seemed like as a good place as any to lament the extremely lucky (Packers) while unfortunate (Cardinals) win last night by the Cheeseheads. (What happened AJ Green?). While the meme circulates around showing Rodgers all jacked up after being hit, we’re reminded how comfortable Rodgers is in assuming refs will call every petty penalty in his favor.  

They literally get everything to go their way. ARZ has 2nd and goal, down only by 3 and throws an INT. Mistake throwing to Green there.  Rodgers calling for a flag DURING the play. 

Did anyone see the timeout call? Same as Fields, but he argued with the refs and they gave him the timeout instead of delay of game penalty.