Free agency begins

Stinger226

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Been reading elsewhere that Bozeman is not a good fit for what we want to do in zone blocking/ outside zone.  I can't speak to that myself.  

Definitely will matter, don't always know the schemes teams use. I did read both Jensen and Allen fit the outside zone blocking scheme. I did read Daniels fits  the new scheme.  If Daniels doesn't get a 12 mil a yr contract offer in the first few days, we may in play at 8 to 9 mil per contract and play him at OC.. Lots of guards still out there.

Keep in mind that Poles found a starting OC and RG in KCs draft last year. Round. 2 and 6.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That's not something I'd want to see the Bears do.  You have to wonder how much of this news is just gamesmanship where Poles or others are just driving up the price of one guy they don't really want  (Kirk) so their real target (Shuster) drops to them at a lower cost. 

Kirk's deal really screwed a lot of teams. The Bears are probably better off going with a 2nd tier guy with upside: Auden Tate, Russell Gage, Pascal, Raymond, Higgins. Beckham, Landry, Chark, ARob are all getting $15M + now. 

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

James Daniels signed 3yr deal with the Steelers.  This shows that Poles is sending a message to all current and future OL that he is not going to tolerate the shit show effort we have witnessed the last few years.  My guess is that Cody Whitehair is on final notice.

No doubt.  We could have easily matched that and we all figured Daniels’ skill set matched what they want.   We are in for a big overhaul on the Oline.  

We just have to see how this turns out. Actually we have 4 returning starters. We expect two new faces but maybe there's only one. KC completely changed their oline in one year. They signed Joe Tuney, traded for Orlando Brown, and drafted a starting OC and OG, in the 2nd and 6 th round respectively. What if he signs Train Turner for 1 year 5 mil., then brings in J C Tretter for  a 2 year 19 mil. Then drafts Tyler Smith and Donovan West. Do we have a better line than last year?

There are a lot of LTs still out there. Also several RT s available. As teams sign players, others get dropped. JC Tretter has considerably been one of the best OCs in the league. His base salary is 9.1 mil. He will get 1.6 mil this year over prorated bonus. If we get him for a few years at 9 mil per year, that would be a excellent get. He is 31, same age as Jensen. Younger than Ben Jones, Matt Paradis. I think Poles will end up with some good players. He also waited to the draft to fill OL spots on KCs offense line.

It's a weak draft for QBs.  A lot of team are trying to sort out their QB situation 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Bears sign LB Nicholas Morrow from LV Raiders. 

Looks like the D is getting the early attention.  Make Coach E happy.

Bears fans are going to like this guy.  I realize this is a highlight film but still pairing him with Roquan in coverage is going to present some challenges to offenses.  

i

I should change that.  He can play center too and that's most likely where he ends up depending on how the rest of FA/draft goes. It seems logical having him at C will help the transition to Getsy's new offense.  It's only 2 years so if he hits it out of the park he's young enough to come back for a good 3rd contract.  OTOH the Bears have little liability too.   

If it's correct we were in the game with Brian Allen before he decided to return to LA, then Poles has a bigger budget for FA Oline than what we've seen so far.   Allen signed for 3yr/$24mil and he didn't want to use similar money on Daniels.   He also didn't use it on Lucas Patrick.   It's stating the obvious we have needs to fill but there is more come in terms of a good Oline FA player and likely soon.  I don't think we're waiting for tier 3.  LT? OG?   

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

4.52 in the 40. Roquan was 4.51. Now get a brute at MLB and we may have something. 

I think, since they are going back to a Tampa 2, that one of these two speedsters will play the Urlacher rangy middle linebacker. And together they will be great in nickel.

Kudos to Grant for earning another good contract.  For the Bears, Poles was right not to match the deal for a guy at that age (turns 30 in Oct) who is primarily a returner.  I wanted him back but figured it'd be $2-3mil/yr, low guarantee cut him whenever you want type contract.  There are more important needs where that money can be spent.  You can always draft a PR late any year but for now we'll be ok with Dazz Newsome.  Worst case while we are rebuilding this year we do the Belichick thing and put someone out there to fair catch the ball.  It's not the end of the world, go fix the Oline for Fields.  

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I should change that.  He can play center too and that's most likely where he ends up depending on how the rest of FA/draft goes. It seems logical having him at C will help the transition to Getsy's new offense.  It's only 2 years so if he hits it out of the park he's young enough to come back for a good 3rd contract.  OTOH the Bears have little liability too.   

If it's correct we were in the game with Brian Allen before he decided to return to LA, then Poles has a bigger budget for FA Oline than what we've seen so far.   Allen signed for 3yr/$24mil and he didn't want to use similar money on Daniels.   He also didn't use it on Lucas Patrick.   It's stating the obvious we have needs to fill but there is more come in terms of a good Oline FA player and likely soon.  I don't think we're waiting for tier 3.  LT? OG?   

I see him as a solid depth piece that will help transition Getsy's offense.  He's gotten a lot of starter experience due to injuries and has played fairly well.

Left tackle has to be on the horizon since we don't have one on the roster.  One in FA and one in the draft, at a minimum.