Free agency begins

Stinger226

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

With KC and GB trading top WRs, that means 2 more Wr. will be drafted  ahead of us. Great Blue North Draft report has 6 rated ahead of our pick. The new two are Pickens and Watson . I figure they get drafted ahead of us. So the next  WRs rated in order

63 Tyquan Thornton

64 Alec Pierce

76 John Metchie 

95 Justyn Ross. 

98 Skyy Moore

If none of the first group drop , we probably should wait until 48 and take Pierce or Justyn Ross if available. Ideally Pickens or Watson drop but as far as value , should wait until 71 and take a Skyy Moore or David Bell.  At what spot and who?

I would draft Pierce at 48 and Jalen Tolbert at 71. 

At 39 get a Tyler Smith ,  Nicholas Perit- Frere or Zion Johnson if they drop.

I just ran a draft at TDN.  Now I'm thinking even if KC and GB take WRs they really are just replacing the WR picks the Raiders and Dolphins were likely to make.  So I'm not sure we'll see and additional 2 WRs taken over what would have happened without these trades.   Regardless, at 39 on the board I still have Skyy Moore who has climbed way out of Rd 3/4 to a top 40 ranking, and Watson.  Watson is raw coming out of ND State but he has all the tools you want in a WR.  We just need some patience with him to develop.  For that matter it's the same for Moore who played at Western Michigan.   You just don't know how they will handle NFL DBs. 

For teams that are looking to compete now (KC/GB) they are likely to prefer one of top 6 WRs mentioned which means it forces them into a 1st Rd pick.  Other teams know this so despite the deep talent at WR in this draft, this now appears to be a case where the 1st Rd horse trading becomes interesting as teams try to jump ahead of each other for their WR.   There's no reason to think they won't use those extra picks they earned in the trades to complete a draft day move up.    

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything except that they will trade up. After the first 6 WRs, Wilson- London-Willams- Olave-Burks- Dotson. The next group is very closely rated about the same as Dotson and Burks. So I think if they stay where they're at , they will get a comparable talent.

Good news, now the Bills have to match. This will be an interesting few days.

Jenkins, Whitehair, Patrick, Bates, Borom would not be a bad start. I still think Eric Fisher is on the table which would make it:

Fisher, Whitehair, Patrick, Bates, Jenkins and Borom as rotational guy. That would be a substantial upgrade over last year and you still go in and draft more.

56 minutes ago, adam said:

Good news, now the Bills have to match. This will be an interesting few days.

Jenkins, Whitehair, Patrick, Bates, Borom would not be a bad start. I still think Eric Fisher is on the table which would make it:

Fisher, Whitehair, Patrick, Bates, Jenkins and Borom as rotational guy. That would be a substantial upgrade over last year and you still go in and draft more.

The Bills had him listed as a LT on their website. He may be able to play LT if Jenkins fails there.  Bills are 12.4 mil in the hole but teams can always find money if they need it. So what do you have to pay him for them not to match? 3 year 26 mil and apply 10 the first year?  If he is a legitimate starter, 8 mil is a good value.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The Bills had him listed as a LT on their website. He may be able to play LT if Jenkins fails there.  Bills are 12.4 mil in the hole but teams can always find money if they need it. So what do you have to pay him for them not to match? 3 year 26 mil and apply 10 the first year?  If he is a legitimate starter, 8 mil is a good value.

I feel like I read or heard that Bates is a pretty versatile lineman.  I'm happy that he signed our offer sheet and now hope the Bills decide not to match.  We're adding some good talent to the line whether it's projected starters or depth.  Not only do we need to bolster the starting line but need to improve the depth behind them.  

On 3/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, BearFan PHX said:

Overall, I'm liking Poles' discipline. The free agents are all fillers, he's not taking anyone long term.

I still think that if he was a more seasoned GM, he would have known about Ogunjobi's injury status, maybe thru contacts, maybe because the agent respected / feared him more.

But I know there will be some growing pains with any new first time GM, and overall, while our team isnt going to be that good this year, I am on board with what he's doing.

Patience and building thru the draft are exactly what we need after this endless cycle of new GMs trying to add a few pieces to a core that really doesnt exist, and getting us trapped in cap and draft hell while huge holes still exist on the roster (like the offensive line!)

Why does everyone assume Poles didn’t know about Ogunjobi’s injury which kept him from playing in the playoffs? Poles took a shot because of his talent and it was contingent on passing a physical which he did not.  Why is everyone thinking this was a mistake by GM Ryan Poles?  

it would only have been a mistake if the contract offer did not  require the player to pass a physical y the Bears medical staff.  

3 hours ago, McGowan said:

WR targets now: 

Julio Jones

Will Fuller

Sammy Watkins

Also just get Eric Fisher. I'd feel good about tackle with Fisher at LT, Jenkins at RT and Borom as the swing tackle. 

I don’t want any of those WR.   

33 minutes ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Why does everyone assume Poles didn’t know about Ogunjobi’s injury which kept him from playing in the playoffs? Poles took a shot because of his talent and it was contingent on passing a physical which he did not.  Why is everyone thinking this was a mistake by GM Ryan Poles?  

it would only have been a mistake if the contract offer did not  require the player to pass a physical y the Bears medical staff.  

Or if he lost out on signing another player.  However at this point it doesn’t appear to have affected any possible deals.   The only other big offer we had was for Brian Allen and he took less money to stay in LA.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Or if he lost out on signing another player.  However at this point it doesn’t appear to have affected any possible deals.   The only other big offer we had was for Brian Allen and he took less money to stay in LA.  

We're so used to our GM's making costly mistakes it can be easy to project that onto Poles and view his moves through that lens.  Making the contract signing contingent on passing a physical was smart giving how recent the injury was.  It was a calculated swing at a player with upside that if healthy (passing a physical) would be a good add, but he gave himself an out if he didn't pass.   Also I don't look at it as him missing out on other players as I don't think they targeted more than a couple players in the first wave to go after.  Can't miss players you weren't targeting.  Pace would have signed him anyway because he had "conviction" about the signing.

All contracts are subject to passing a physical. Poles shouldnt get or lose points for that.

I also think in general Poles is doing a good job. its way too early to judge his competency, but the way he is proceeding looks right to me, and all of us.

But I also think he is young and new, and will make some mistakes along the way. I think that he should have had a better idea of Ogunjobi's injury status. I think older more seasoned and experienced GMs have back channels, and personal relationships that give them info. i think agents don't screw with them as much too, because they know they have to deal with them again later.

Poles, as far as i can see, is doing a good job, but he is not perfect, and i think it's OK to note his successes and failures.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, Stinger226 said:

I would even take a Duane Brown to upgrade the LT position. I think someone already said it but bring in Billy Turner as a swing tackle . If Jenkins fails, he can play LT.

Brown is my too target right  now. I think people get wrapped up too much in age and forget he was a pro bowler just this past year. Peters played well and he was 3 years older than him. 

Grab Brown on a 2 year deal and call the OL set with Brown-Whitehair-Patrick-Bates-Jenkins. 

Would Work for me. Draft a 5 th round OT to replace Brown in a couple years. The only thing we  know right now,  first 2 targets were Brian Allen/OC and Ogunjobi. Both didn't work out but it gives you what he was thinking. He had a backup plan, Patrick and Jones that he signed right away. One thing to think about is the possibility that Bates could play LT. He took some snaps there. Clearly Poles was looking at Bates right from day 1 but the process prevents a quick sign. He has to have an offer to a LT that has not been reported. I would say the tackle is waiting to see if he got more money. If seems he's targeting younger players with upside , that doesn't need big contracts with the hope of becoming core players. The LT spot doesn't have many of those types still on the market.

On 3/25/2022 at 2:46 AM, Stinger226 said:

A few other WRs out there 

Auden  Tate

TeQuan Smith

Tajae Sharpe

Bresham Perriman

Dante Pettis

Brandon Powell

Kellan Cole

I am thinking Auden Tate and Adam Humphries. Both should be cheap, Tate with a lot of upside and Humphries is really dependable in the slot.

Going into the draft, I would be perfectly happy if the offense looked like this:

Fields, Fisher, Whitehair, Patrick, Bates, Jenkins, Kmet, Mooney, Pringle, Humphries, Monty with subs: Borom, Mustipher, James, Horsted, Tate, St. Brown, Herbert, Evans, Blasingame