Poor Mitch

adam

I would like for him to succeed, but he seems to be struggling.

From the Athletic:

1. If you are gauging Mitch Trubisky’s camp so far based on the Seven Shots drill, then it’s not a pretty camp for the veteran free-agent signee. Trubisky converted 3 of 4 (it should have been 4 of 4) the first day the Steelers ran the popular drill but has struggled since. He came into Tuesday’s practice having missed on 12 consecutive reps in the drill.

Trubisky wasn’t able to convert in four reps, extending his skid to 16 consecutive non-scoring plays. For the duration of camp, he’s 3 of 20. Of course, not all were his fault, but you definitely don’t want to see a goose egg for that long.

2. Here is your daily quarterback depth chart note: The quarterback reps stayed the same as Monday, with Trubisky getting all the first-team reps followed by Kenny Pickett and then Mason Rudolph. All that really means is Trubisky got two more reps than Pickett and three more than Rudolph.

Now, Rudolph said before practice that he expects to get some first-team reps eventually. Trubisky has gotten them all and really hasn’t been sharp. To go along with the 16 consecutive failures in Seven Shots, Trubisky hasn’t been consistent at all. Tomlin said after practice he’s looking for playmaking from Pickett, and he can say the same thing about Trubisky.

During one team period, Trubisky was 0 of 4 with an interception and a poorly overthrown ball on back-to-back plays. Trubisky should have seen Damontae Kazee and avoided throwing the interception. Kazee was in the box but dropped out into a zone at the snap. Trubisky didn’t see him and threw to a spot, which happened to be in the hands of Kazee.

Seven Shots Drill, is 7 plays from the 2 yard line. Trubisky is now 3 for 20 as the Steelers starting QB. One of the conversions was a Najee Harris run.

Now this:

Pelissero: Steelers now splitting first-team reps between Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph

I get it. Trubisky was victimized in part by a piss poor Bears' coaching staff. However, he owns a lot of his failure. I wasn't at all surprised he failed. We sure as hell should have never traded up for him. SF schooled our GM. He certainly did not come into the draft with an impressive college resume. Huge risk! I was pissed, wanting to wait to draft a QB. We could have drafted Watson or Mahomes without giving up draft capital.

So when everyone was so complimentary of Pittsburgh signing Trubisky, acting like he was going to be a 'Franchise QB" because of spending a year behind Josh Allen, I had to laugh my ass off. It appears he is proving me right. He will never be any more than an average backup QB. He'll retire 10 years from now after playing for a half dozen teams, complaining he never got a chance to prove himself.

6 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I get it. Trubisky was victimized in part by a piss poor Bears' coaching staff. However, he owns a lot of his failure. I wasn't at all surprised he failed. We sure as hell should have never traded up for him. SF schooled our GM. He certainly did not come into the draft with an impressive college resume. Huge risk! I was pissed, wanting to wait to draft a QB. We could have drafted Watson or Mahomes without giving up draft capital.

So when everyone was so complimentary of Pittsburgh signing Trubisky, acting like he was going to be a 'Franchise QB" because of spending a year behind Josh Allen, I had to laugh my ass off. It appears he is proving me right. He will never be any more than an average backup QB. He'll retire 10 years from now after playing for a half dozen teams, complaining he never got a chance to prove himself.

As bad as that draft was then, it is even worse now. Trubisky then Shaheen. They could've had Mahomes and Kupp lol.

Interesting that SF schooled Pace, the drafted Solomon Thomas instead of Mahomes, Watson, McCaffrey, and Jamal Adams.

I agree on Mitch. Nagy was half the problem, but Mitch was the other half. It was easy to see. He has been a year removed from playing full time, and now in a new system. I would not be surprised if he is not the Week 1 starter. 

56 minutes ago, adam said:

Interesting that SF schooled Pace, the drafted Solomon Thomas instead of Mahomes, Watson, McCaffrey, and Jamal Adams.

Yes, Thomas was also a bust for SF. Lynch was clever to con Pace. Then he squandered the bounty he received.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I would like for him to succeed, but he seems to be struggling.

From the Athletic:

Seven Shots Drill, is 7 plays from the 2 yard line. Trubisky is now 3 for 20 as the Steelers starting QB. One of the conversions was a Najee Harris run.

Now this:

Pelissero: Steelers now splitting first-team reps between Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph

Some quotes after Fields first pad day.

''Justin Fields could find few receivers in most cases, and when he did they didn't catch it or he missed the mark. Or often he just scrambled.

On one red zone segment, Fields went 1-for-7 with one TD.

The offense went to start a drive later and did a three-and-out before punting and giving way to the backups. Later, they failed again to move it and settled for a field goal in two-minute drill"

They have always said defenses have the edge early in the process.  Our young D is giving our O issues too.  

5 hours ago, adam said:

I agree on Mitch. Nagy was half the problem, but Mitch was the other half. It was easy to see. He has been a year removed from playing full time, and now in a new system. I would not be surprised if he is not the Week 1 starter. 

We talked a few days ago about how difficult it is to gauge a potential long term performance while practicing, especially in the early stages.  If memory serves there were times where Mitch looked the part during practice and sometimes even during the preseason. Hell just year he schooled the Bears 41-15. Yes it was preseason but for much of the game it was against “our #1s”.  All this to say I’ll reserve judgment until the regular season starts and agree with you that he’ll probably still be the starter when week 1 starts.  

With regard to Nagy and his system.  All I needed to know about how inept he was as a coach was when I heard and saw Nick Foles freelance (and win) while arguing with Nagy on the sideline about his play calling. 

Mitch just didn't put in the work to fix his throwing mechanics and couldn't or wouldn't learn how to read defenses.  If he liked seeing that Josh Allen was allowed to freelance more than he was and mistook that as a reason to keep doing what he'd always done then he was sadly mistaken.   So far in his career he's earned $36 million.    

• 2 weeks later...

Mitch got a TD pass in his first preseason action. Nice to see. Then I see the actual play lol. Busted coverage, no player within 5 yards of receiver. Easy pitch and catch. Pickett actually looked really good. Definitely not a QB controversy, but Mitch is going to be on thin ice in Pittsburgh. 

"Interesting that SF schooled Pace, the drafted Solomon Thomas instead of Mahomes, Watson, McCaffrey, and Jamal Adams."  

Sometimes the schooler gets schooled also.  Such a rich draft to come away with two picks in the first three that seem to be going nowhere.  .

• 2 weeks later...

I find it comical that the NFL media people have totally changed their opinion on Mitch.  The narrative now, is that he led us to the payoffs twice and that he's not a bad QB.  He was hot garbage, in their eyes, two years ago.  My opinion has not changed.  He'll have his moments, but never take you over the hill.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I find it comical that the NFL media people have totally changed their opinion on Mitch.  The narrative now, is that he led us to the payoffs twice and that he's not a bad QB.  He was hot garbage, in their eyes, two years ago.  My opinion has not changed.  He'll have his moments, but never take you over the hill.

Yep, I agree. Nagy didn't help him though. He is probably a career backup, spot starter type of QB. He can even come in for some gadget plays or the Wildcat. 

• 4 weeks later...

Poor Mitch.

If anyone watched TNF, it was like a bad dream. Same dude. It seems like this was the last game for him as the starter. They are 1-2 and really should be 0-3. His Y/A is 5.5. They were something like 1 and 8 on 3rd Downs. He looked like a better version of Tim Tebow. He looks the part, but then has bad mechanics, can escape the pocket, but then throws a bad ball. Sometimes hits a big pass which keeps you interested. Then when you need him, he falls through. That was all on display last night.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Poor Mitch.

Indeed.  I didn’t watch the whole game but did see a few series. In one I saw Dionte Johnson streaking down the sideline and Trub put a really nice ball just in front of him only to drop it.  The second was a similar pass play to George Pickens who made an OBJ like catch along the sideline.  Both throws were nice back shoulder passes but these were not ‘sum of parts’ moments.  At that point I thing Mitchell was 7/11(?) for one-fifty-something no TDs.  I’d agree he seems to be about the same he always has been.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Indeed.  I didn’t watch the whole game but did see a few series. In one I saw Dionte Johnson streaking down the sideline and Trub put a really nice ball just in front of him only to drop it.  The second was a similar pass play to George Pickens who made an OBJ like catch along the sideline.  Both throws were nice back shoulder passes but these were not ‘sum of parts’ moments.  At that point I thing Mitchell was 7/11(?) for one-fifty-something no TDs.  I’d agree he seems to be about the same he always has been.  

He's enough to win with, but will never put a team on his back when he needs to.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

So did Nagy wreak him or did he just not have it? I remember that 5 TD passing game against TB, I thought he would eventually get it.

He doesn't have it and in large part it's because he's never invested time into fixing his mechanics.   With the money he's made it's not hard to hire a QB coach in the offseason.  From the time we are kids playing sports we are taught (should be taught) fundamentals.  I realize elite athletes can still succeed in lesser levels without them but NFL players will take your lunch money if you don't get it right.    That is simply a lack of work ethic, not workout ethic because Trubisky had no problem staying in shape for photos with his girlfriend.   That work ethic had to play into his slow learning curve on reading defenses.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-justin-fields-tremendously-improved-mechanics-luke-getsy