Mike Pennel released

adam

Looks like Armon Watts has moved into #3 spot.  I expect he'll be a starter soon.  I assume we're bringing up someone from the practice squad.  We're going after a very athletic QB, do we bring up Trevon Coley who has more pass rush ability, or is there some injury at another position we need to cover?  

31 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

They brought back Mike Pennel, it was a guarranteed vet move on why they released him.

can you say more, Im googling, but not finding the specifics of why this move made sense? Im sure it did, so please explain?

the little Ive been able to figure out is that if they kept him without this cut and re-sign, his salary would be guaranteed for the whole year, but now, they can cut him any time, and not have to pay the rest. Im not sure why they bother though, hes not being paid a lot. Maybe to make him trade bait? Or to be free to pick up another player cut over the next few weeks?

38 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

can you say more, Im googling, but not finding the specifics of why this move made sense? Im sure it did, so please explain?

(Below) Not much help but sorta lays out a strategy?  Maybe they couldn’t find any available DTs they liked and knew the system?  

Also see they brought back Dieter Eislen.  Theory is he could play Center as depth. Still doesn’t fully clear up what plan with Patrick is.  

13 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

(Below) Not much help but sorta lays out a strategy?  Maybe they couldn’t find any available DTs they liked and knew the system?  

Also see they brought back Dieter Eislen.  Theory is he could play Center as depth. Still doesn’t fully clear up what plan with Patrick is.  

They would have known there were no other DTs that fit before they released him, so this definitely wasnt a mistake or a changed mind. There is some reason that doing this gave them some advantage.

I think it has to do with the rules around minimum guaranteed vet salary. I THINK (but could be wrong) that if you sign a guy to the vet minimum deal in camp, and he makes the opening day roster, the money is guaranteed for the whole year, but if you sign him after camp, then you can cut him any time without having to pay the rest of the year.

IF this is true, then Poles just converted Pennel into someone he can cut later. Youd only do that if you wanted to have the ability to bring someone else in, or elevate someone from the practice squad half way through the year, and not have to pay Pennel anymore? I guess Poles is going to play with the bottom of the roster for the next couple months, and that makes sense (if I understand the rule correctly).

Also, seeing Eiselen is active just means he is the backup at C because Patrick cant snap with a cast on his hand.

OK, googling more, I found this from 2015 - if the rule is still the same, Poles may have opened up some cap room with this move.

https://landryfootball.com/understanding-nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-cap-benefit-rule-free/

"For instance, a player who re-signs with a club on a 1 year $745,000 contract with more than two years of experience–let’s say (5)— would qualify for the cap hit benefit making his 2015 cap figure $585,000."

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

They would have known there were no other DTs that fit before they released him, so this definitely wasnt a mistake or a changed mind. There is some reason that doing this gave them some advantage.

I think it has to do with the rules around minimum guaranteed vet salary. I THINK (but could be wrong) that if you sign a guy to the vet minimum deal in camp, and he makes the opening day roster, the money is guaranteed for the whole year, but if you sign him after camp, then you can cut him any time without having to pay the rest of the year.

IF this is true, then Poles just converted Pennel into someone he can cut later. Youd only do that if you wanted to have the ability to bring someone else in, or elevate someone from the practice squad half way through the year, and not have to pay Pennel anymore? I guess Poles is going to play with the bottom of the roster for the next couple months, and that makes sense (if I understand the rule correctly).

Also, seeing Eiselen is active just means he is the backup at C because Patrick cant snap with a cast on his hand.

Definitely a salary cap move to put Pennel on the practice squad.  One thing Eberflus mentioned during the Fri press conference is that our DEs can be moved inside on 3rd and long.  I don't think all of them will but he specifically mentioned Gipson and Robinson.  

I agree with Eiselen being the backup center tomorrow.  He played well in the preseason at C and might be a year away from earning a roster spot.  Given the weather forecast I will not be surprised to see us running some plays with an extra lineman.  What combination that might be I don't know but if they start Patrick at RG then they could bring Jenkins in off tackle to go heavy.  Or start Jenkins at RG but move him outside on some plays but that seems less likely.  I'm very concerned with Patrick's conditioning for a full game.  

Unless my math is bad, how do we cut one off the 53, then add 2?  I guess we still have this rule below in place but that also means we're one short on the 53.  We can't bring back anyone from IR for another 2 weeks although Harry seems like the logical choice if we do.    

I saw where we cut ties with Tajae Sharpe who was on IR, now set free with an injury settlement.   IMO that means we feel confident going forward with the former Viking  Smith-Marsette at WR.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/9/9/23345592/chicago-bears-tweak-roster-mike-pennell-sam-kamara-practice-squad-tajae-sharpe-53-man-roster

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

With all of the churning and rotating of this roster all off season.  They had not a lot to go with when the took over.  But it just gives me a creppy feeling for this season.  I like what they are doing but how high is the floor truely?

I think we will see individual players ascend, and flashes from them, but we will also have holes. By week 12 we will be screaming about one or two names - holes that the NFL has learned to exploit. But we will also know if Fields is the guy, and who around him will be part of our future. Then with that info, we go into next season with draft picks and more salary cap room than any team in the league.

This is year 0.

Now, if by some chance, all the players ascend, and the coaching is solid, and Fields is the guy, then we might surprise a bunch of people. But even if the first scenario is the outcome, we are on track to building an actual team.

I'll be rooting for the team to win, but I'll be watching where the strong and weak parts are, and as long as the good stuff remains consistent, then we will know what we have, and what we need.

19 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think we will see individual players ascend, and flashes from them, but we will also have holes. By week 12 we will be screaming about one or two names - holes that the NFL has learned to exploit. But we will also know if Fields is the guy, and who around him will be part of our future. Then with that info, we go into next season with draft picks and more salary cap room than any team in the league.

This is

Now, if by some chance, all the players ascend, and the coaching is solid, and Fields is the guy, then we might surprise a bunch of people. But even if the first scenario is the outcome, we are on track to building an actual team.

I'll be rooting for the team to win, but I'll be watching where the strong and weak parts are, and as long as the good stuff remains consistent, then we will know what we have, and what we need.

year 0.

There was a movie a long time ago named that.  It did not end well.

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

This is

year 0.

There was a movie a long time ago named that.  It did not end well.  Panic in the year Zero

45 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

LOL, well this year 0 is gonna lead to year 1 of the hard hitting fearsome Bears era, during which we will regain the all time wins - loss record over the Packers.

Well the human race survived.  So there's that to go on.  And I like your ending better.

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Definitely a salary cap move to put Pennel on the practice squad.  One thing Eberflus mentioned during the Fri press conference is that our DEs can be moved inside on 3rd and long.  I don't think all of them will but he specifically mentioned Gipson and Robinson.  

I agree with Eiselen being the backup center tomorrow.  He played well in the preseason at C and might be a year away from earning a roster spot.  Given the weather forecast I will not be surprised to see us running some plays with an extra lineman.  What combination that might be I don't know but if they start Patrick at RG then they could bring Jenkins in off tackle to go heavy.  Or start Jenkins at RG but move him outside on some plays but that seems less likely.  I'm very concerned with Patrick's conditioning for a full game.  

Unless my math is bad, how do we cut one off the 53, then add 2?  I guess we still have this rule below in place but that also means we're one short on the 53.  We can't bring back anyone from IR for another 2 weeks although Harry seems like the logical choice if we do.    

I saw where we cut ties with Tajae Sharpe who was on IR, now set free with an injury settlement.   IMO that means we feel confident going forward with the former Viking  Smith-Marsette at WR.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/9/9/23345592/chicago-bears-tweak-roster-mike-pennell-sam-kamara-practice-squad-tajae-sharpe-53-man-roster

I think that when we put Harry on IR we didnt fill that roster spot. So moves the pieces with 2 to the game day roster already had one opening. Thus Dieter and Pennel could go game day.