GREAT Coaching

BearFan PHX

It is obvious that the SF roster has more talent than ours does. We won today because the coaching ghost of Tony Dungy is haunting Halas Hall. Eburflus is an even better Lovie Smith.

SF beat themselves with penalties, while we played clean. We worked for turnovers. We stayed with the running game LONG past the time when Nagy would have panicked, and many coaches would have gone into desperation mode. We kept our coverage rule breaking route combinations up our sleeve until the 4th quarter, kept it close and then played the cards Nagy would have tried in the first quarter. Had they worked ion the first, youd have woken up the SF offense, and wouldnt have those plays new for the 4th.

The Tony Dungy Cover 2 style is to play clean, eat clock, hang around to the 4th quarter, and strangle you out 17-13 - the NFL equivalent of Brazillian Ju Jitsu.

I love what I'm seeing from this staff. Yes, we could use a few more draft picks and free agents, but the structure that is being built here is evident today.

Great win, much better than a fumbled punt return for a cheap touchdown. We were grinding today.

Oh, and even though he didnt have a lot of WRs open, or time in the pocket, Fields began stacking arguments to prove that he is a franchise QB delivering a dirty, gritty and gut-ty performance.

All in all a great day, considering the gap in talent on paper. Nice!

Wow the rookies showed up, Gordon, Brisker, and Robinson. How about the offseason acquisitions every thought were nothing? Pettis, St. Brown had TDs, Watts and Jones had a lot of pressure up the middle. Muhammad was all over. Morrow looked solid. 

Roquan played mad, Jackson finally got an INT!

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Wow the rookies showed up, Gordon, Brisker, and Robinson. How about the offseason acquisitions every thought were nothing? Pettis, St. Brown had TDs, Watts and Jones had a lot of pressure up the middle. Muhammad was all over. Morrow looked solid. 

Roquan played mad, Jackson finally got an INT!

yes, and they all played "within themselves" this wasnt a case of our talent rolling over them, but of a master chef taking inferior ingredients and just cooking better than the guy who has all the tools, but no discipline. HITS is working.

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Oh, and even though he didnt have a lot of WRs open, or time in the pocket, Fields began stacking arguments to prove that he is a franchise QB delivering a dirty, gritty and gut-ty performance.

He looked WAY too calm in the second half and made those passes look easy . He was putting touch on the ball and throwing it exactly where he wanted.  No panicked scrambling off center passes, just calm drops in the bucket.  

There was nothing about that game that said we should win it yet we did.  That was coaching where the team is greater than the sum of its parts. 

They rotated Patrick and Jenkins at RG which is good to help get Patrick in game shape.  I saw a few rookie mistakes by Gordon and Brisker just getting themselves out of position that gave up some big plays.  Brisker had Lance for a 3rd down stop when he ran up the middle and whiffed on the tackle letting him gain 10 more yards.  I'm sure both will correct it over the next few games.    Despite all that we never really saw panic and the players stayed disciplined.  

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

There was nothing about that game that said we should win it yet we did.  That was coaching where the team is greater than the sum of its parts. 

They rotated Patrick and Jenkins at RG which is good to help get Patrick in game shape.  I saw a few rookie mistakes by Gordon and Brisker just getting themselves out of position that gave up some big plays.  Brisker had Lance for a 3rd down stop when he ran up the middle and whiffed on the tackle letting him gain 10 more yards.  I'm sure both will correct it over the next few games.    Despite all that we never really saw panic and the players stayed disciplined.  

amen

I dont think we kicked their ass at all - if they had the coach that we have theyd have destroyed us.

Im really happy we won - I love it, and I see good things ahead for this team, but we all saw the O line getting destroyed, and the lack of run stopping on D.

We have a long road to go, but for the first time in a LONG time, we're actually on the right road at least.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

He looked WAY too calm in the second half and made those passes look easy . He was putting touch on the ball and throwing it exactly where he wanted.  No panicked scrambling off center passes, just calm drops in the bucket.  

One thing that jumped out at me on the broken play where ha scrambled and hit Pettis for the 51 yard touchdown was that he stayed in control the whole time. Once he got separation he set has feet and then threw the ball. Even on that play he didn’t look panicked. I know Dante was open by a mile but that ball was well thrown.  Trubiskey would have missed Pettis by a mile with a clean pocket. 

This is beautiful "Its always going to be about us, it doesnt matter what color the other teams jersey is" and all the conditioning they do meaning they own the 4th quarter. I mean COME ON this is what good coaching looks like. Wow its been a long time.

Team members said this was the hardest camp they have ever been in and I think it showed by their effort late in the game. Confidence is only going to make this team better with so many young players on the team. The young guys made mistakes but they never killed us. 

This is going to be an interesting year. I so hope we can beat GB next week just to hear the national media eat their words.

17 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont think we kicked their ass at all - if they had the coach that we have theyd have destroyed us.

Im really happy we won - I love it, and I see good things ahead for this team, but we all saw the O line getting destroyed, and the lack of run stopping on D.

We have a long road to go, but for the first time in a LONG time, we're actually on the right road at least.

They scored three TD's in a half and made Lance look like the guy hadn't played a meaningful game in years.  Held a so called SB quality team to ten points.  Thats not just bad coaching by the Niners.  Seven point underdog.  No, they kicked their ass when it mattered.

I'm thrilled with the victory.  We were all looking to see change and we got.  One thing I noticed that gives me a little pause for concern was that Justin reverted back to his extended arm motion that he spent the off-season trying to fix.  It was only for a couple of series that he was highly pressured.  It seems that he reigned it in when he was more comfortable, which overall is a good sign.  He made the adjustment...

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm thrilled with the victory.  We were all looking to see change and we got.  One thing I noticed that gives me a little pause for concern was that Justin reverted back to his extended arm motion that he spent the off-season trying to fix.  It was only for a couple of series that he was highly pressured.  It seems that he reigned it in when he was more comfortable, which overall is a good sign.  He made the adjustment...

Good point.  It seems all of the rookies or young players had those moments and the coaches were able to reel them back into their fundamentals.  It's rare to see such a young team not panic where players try to do too much, or to make the big play, which would lead to mistakes.  

Curious what thoughts were on Eberflus’ request to change the sod on the field a week before the game?  Granted it might’ve not been a big factor yesterday (or would it have been?) seems like it could be wise choice.  Considering how crappy the fields been these last number of years.

It's pretty interesting to me that the Bears apparently did not blitz at all yesterday, they they still got some decent pressure and two sacks.  Plus, we come away with a win and Green Bay hasn't seen any of our regular season blitz packages going into the game next week.  Something to watch . . . 

We are a real Tony Dungy Cover 2, run the ball, eat clock, get turnovers, beat you with conditioning in the 4th quarter kind of team.

In the future we will take shots downfield off of play action too.

Fields has the talent, but he also has the grit for this style of ball.

12 hours ago, dawhizz said:

It's pretty interesting to me that the Bears apparently did not blitz at all yesterday, they they still got some decent pressure and two sacks.  Plus, we come away with a win and Green Bay hasn't seen any of our regular season blitz packages going into the game next week.  Something to watch . . . 

I dont think they will blitz very much as long as they can get pressure from the front 4. 

Looking at Rodgers' stats against the blitz, it is better not to anyway. He knows where the hole is when you do that. 

However, I think the Bears will have a different approach against him than Lance. His O-Line is not as good as it was last year. Our offense has to step it up with a few sustained TD drives and score 21+ to win.

18 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I find it interesting that what national media said were the worst teams in the League played well this weekend.

Bears

Houston

Seahawks

Falcons

Jaguars

Jets were the only team that lived up to bad.

Power rankings came out and 7 teams that lost are ranked higher than us.  Let's ride!

Saw the posting about Oline analysis and was watching the clip where Jenkins helped knock down Bosa before going out to block another player.  In it you can see Equanimous St Brown (ESB) blocking his coverage at the end of the play.  I've always been a fan of WRs who are willing to block. But with regards to good coaching and discipline I noticed ESB in another play last week where he provided a seal block while another player ran behind him.  I believe it may have been during a punt return but as the returner (or other player) ran by ESB was engaged with his man but instead of face to face he had his back to him with his hands extended so as to what I assume was to avoid a blocking in the back or even holding penalty.  Its little heads up plays like this that I think the coach (and maybe the player himself) will make a huge difference on overall success.  From reading up on ESB not only is he an ok WR but also has a penchant for blocking too, and he likes working with Getsy. Add in that he's "pissed off" that GB let him go after last season, I'm curious to see how this next weekend goes for him. 

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/equanimeous-st-brown-is-furious-the-packers-cut-him-and-its-showing/

On 9/13/2022 at 8:50 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Power rankings came out and 7 teams that lost are ranked higher than us.  Let's ride!

They are running out of ways to rip the Bears. I saw someone post about how Fields had the longest Time to Throw for Week 1, implying that he can't read defenses and is holding onto the ball too long. They don't watch the games. They watch a few highlights look at the stats, and make a snap judgement, especially when it is negative about the Bears.

4 hours ago, adam said:

They are running out of ways to rip the Bears. I saw someone post about how Fields had the longest Time to Throw for Week 1, implying that he can't read defenses and is holding onto the ball too long. They don't watch the games. They watch a few highlights look at the stats, and make a snap judgement, especially when it is negative about the Bears.

Agreed to the most part, but he does hold on a little too long.  I'm looking for that clock to tick faster for him.