Kyler Gordon vs 2nd Round WRs

adam

So Gordon got completely shredded last night on multiple plays (no help from Jackson on one of them), but the alternative in the 2nd Round was a WR. There were 6 WRs selected after Gordon in the 2nd Round (and before Velus Jones). Here are there stats after 2 weeks:

Wan'Dale Robinson 1-5
John Metchie - no stats
Tyquan Thornton - no stats
George Pickens 2-26
Alec Pierce - no stats
Skyy Moore 1-30

Pickens may have the best chance to pan out, maybe one of the injured guys does, but I don't know if any of them would help our putrid offense right now. If Mooney has only 2 receptions, most of these guys wouldn't even have a target on the Bears yet. 

I think this is a faulty comparison. Ignoring the Kyler Gordon part of it...

For all we know, someone like Pickens on the Bears would be the absolutely clear-cut #1, and get nearly every target regardless of situation. It's not like Mooney or Kmet are tearing it up. Many of us expected this because we didn't believe in the plan to draft Kmet while the sour taste of Shaheen, Burton, Graham lingered, and we also didn't think the Bears made a good decision to take a 5th round dude from freaking Tulane and anoint him as WR#1 despite barely cracking 1K yards and only having 4 TDs in a 2021 season that he was force-fed 140 targets.

Think about it another way: Maybe the offense would be passing more, and there would be more trust in Fields, if the targets weren't Mooney and Kmet?

6 hours ago, jason said:

For all we know, someone like Pickens on the Bears would be the absolutely clear-cut #1, and get nearly every target regardless of situation. It's not like Mooney or Kmet are tearing it up. Many of us expected this because we didn't believe in the plan to draft Kmet while the sour taste of Shaheen, Burton, Graham lingered, and we also didn't think the Bears made a good decision to take a 5th round dude from freaking Tulane and anoint him as WR#1 despite barely cracking 1K yards and only having 4 TDs in a 2021 season that he was force-fed 140 targets.

Think about it another way: Maybe the offense would be passing more, and there would be more trust in Fields, if the targets weren't Mooney and Kmet?

Mooney is #1 by default. No #1 s were   available this off season. All of them stayed home except for Hill which was a trade. Pickens has 5 receptions in 3 games, not exactly rookie of year stats. The offense is a work in progress, for players and coaches. The next 2 games will have better results, if not we will have a long season. We played 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFC. We need some less talented teams to compare with.  2 games just isn't enough of a Example of what we might be by yrs end. ( barring injuries.)

By he years end we will see who may be core players. We covid be 3-1 after 4 games which would change the narrative. Every week will give us insight.

12 hours ago, jason said:

Pickens looks the part and he is doing it as the 3rd option on a team with Trubisky. Ignoring Gordon as DB was a need - I still say I would have taken the wideout. That said I wanted Amari Cooper in a trade and that would have been a huge difference and at an extremely fair price (since he was acquired right before the wideout market blew up). 

None of that is revisionist history either - cause I said it than and it still irks me fuse Fields offense looks a lot different with that one move in locking up Amari and quite frankly it wouldn’t have prevented anything else the Bears did this offseason (including Gordon). 

On 9/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Pickens looks the part and he is doing it as the 3rd option on a team with Trubisky. Ignoring Gordon as DB was a need - I still say I would have taken the wideout. That said I wanted Amari Cooper in a trade and that would have been a huge difference and at an extremely fair price (since he was acquired right before the wideout market blew up). 

None of that is revisionist history either - cause I said it than and it still irks me fuse Fields offense looks a lot different with that one move in locking up Amari and quite frankly it wouldn’t have prevented anything else the Bears did this offseason (including Gordon). 

Agree on the Amari Cooper thing. Just think, Fields could be throwing to Cooper and Picks this year, which would be a drastically different set of weapons than what he has now. 

Gordon is arguably the worst starter on any NFL roster. Wow has he been terrible. We could've had Pickens, or even Goedeke or Raimann for the O-Line.

I would even take David Bell who has barely played. Romeo Doubs looking pretty good for a 4th right now. Poles really messed this up.

At the quarter point of the season, this looks ugly and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better any time soon.

2 hours ago, jason said:

Agree on the Amari Cooper thing. Just think, Fields could be throwing to Cooper and Picks this year, which would be a drastically different set of weapons than what he has now. 

Which Cooper, the one that had 4-26 yds combined in Week 1 and 4, or the one that had 16-202 yds, 2 TD in Weeks 3 and 4?

3 hours ago, jason said:

My question is, could we have afforded to pay Cooper, plus lose what pick to get him?  If he was affordable, that type of reciever, with his route tree, would be perfect for Fields.  If healthy, Pickens will be a stud, but had red flags all over the place for his behavior, so I don't find fault in the Bears for passing on him.  He too would be a great compliment to Cooper because of his physicality and jump ball ability.  

I'm sure they will try to trade Quinn and Monty before the deadline and maybe Roquan.  That would make the rebuild complete with extra picks and whatever trading Quinn would net in future cap space to add to our 103mil.

As always, the huge prayer is that a QB emerges.  Fields has 13 more games to prove it or I feel we'll draft one.