Mooney Concern...

Mongo3451

Forgive me, but what you about to read is purely conjecture.

I am concerned about Mooney.  Over the course of the off season, we read on numerous accounts how much time he and Justin spent together running routes.  Fast forward to training camp and we have a rash of reciever injuries.  Mooney never was on the report, but he did have to pick up the slack.  While many 4, 5, 6 and 7th receivers are used for their camp legs, we did not have that luxury.  We had to use our #1, giving Mooney a lot of extra reps in practice and all three exhibition games.  Also, what role did Eberflus' "always hustle" mantra play into this?

You know where I'm going.  His legs look tired.  I could see it Sunday night.  When Justin overthrew him on that deep post, the safety was easily outrunning him.  I saved the game and watched again yesterday, focussing on Mooney and he never really looked like he had burner speed or great twich in his cuts.

In wrapping this up, how do they fix it?  As of now, Justin has only thrown 28 passes and Mooney has a grand total of 4 yards.  Next, is Kmet tired too?  He has zero targets.  Am I off base with all of this, because this isn't my first rodeo?  It's all just a theory.  Thoughts?

I say give it one more game that we should do better with.  But you are right that Mooney and Kmet both look terrible for whatever reason.

The SF barely counts because a) the monsoon and b) terrible field position. 

GB controlled the clock and kept Fields contained so he couldnt get a rhythm going.  Getsy should have kept running early then went to play action.  They may have balanced the Time of Possession a little better.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Forgive me, but what you about to read is purely conjecture.

I am concerned about Mooney.  Over the course of the off season, we read on numerous accounts how much time he and Justin spent together running routes.  Fast forward to training camp and we have a rash of reciever injuries.  Mooney never was on the report, but he did have to pick up the slack.  While many 4, 5, 6 and 7th receivers are used for their camp legs, we did not have that luxury.  We had to use our #1, giving Mooney a lot of extra reps in practice and all three exhibition games.  Also, what role did Eberflus' "always hustle" mantra play into this?

You know where I'm going.  His legs look tired.  I could see it Sunday night.  When Justin overthrew him on that deep post, the safety was easily outrunning him.  I saved the game and watched again yesterday, focussing on Mooney and he never really looked like he had burner speed or great twich in his cuts.

In wrapping this up, how do they fix it?  As of now, Justin has only thrown 28 passes and Mooney has a grand total of 4 yards.  Next, is Kmet tired too?  He has zero targets.  Am I off base with all of this, because this isn't my first rodeo?  It's all just a theory.  Thoughts?

He's been throwing his body into a lot of blocks maybe he's dinged up bit.  

The first game dont count because of the weather. The GB DC said they were going to take away Mooney and make the bears try to run the ball. To small of a sample size. The problem is the lack of offensive plays . After the scoring drive. We had 5 3 and outs. To have a balance attack you need to get first downs. If running the ball well then the play action works. We played a good defensive team that was not going to lose to go 0-2.

I think the coaches know that Mooney and Kmet need to be more involved, and that we need to keep a good rhythm going with Montgomery, and they need to get Fields more completions.

I hope they also see that Roquan, Gordon and Brisker need to be more involved too.

I hope they also see the DTs are getting pushed around.

It's not too late to fix these things, but they need to see them. Last few coaches didnt, I expect these guys will, but we will have to see it on the field of course.

From what I have read, they were taking Mooney and Kmet out, which forced Fields into his 2nd or 3rd reads. They didn't double them, just had the Safety shading towards them. On the long ball, it just looked like Mooney gave up on it when he knew it was well over his head. Also, Fields needed to throw it to his side, the Safety had a better angle over the top. Fields needed to lead Mooney away from the Safety.

I am not too concerned, he was basically the WR1 last year for most of the year. I just think Getsy is trying too many long developing plays instead of quick slants and other quick hitters. 

To me it is the entire offense still getting used to the new system with live ammo. It feels like Getsy has also been fairly conservative with Fields to this point. At some point you have to just let him play football. From the presser, Fields stated that he runs the plays that he is given, which seems to be he doesn't have much flexibility to audible at the line. That needs to change. 

If he doesn't have at least 5-6 catches and 8-9 targets against Houston, then I will be concerned.

9 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think the coaches know that Mooney and Kmet need to be more involved, and that we need to keep a good rhythm going with Montgomery, and they need to get Fields more completions.

I hope they also see that Roquan, Gordon and Brisker need to be more involved too.

I hope they also see the DTs are getting pushed around.

It's not too late to fix these things, but they need to see them. Last few coaches didnt, I expect these guys will, but we will have to see it on the field of course.

Roquan is just not up to par yet, Gordon was constantly targeted, not sure what you mean when you say more involved.

How do they fix the DT stops this year?

I think Watts and Jones will be okay but not great. That's a draft pick away, not sure FAgency can fix that this year. Obunjobi only has 3 tackle assists so far this year. Almost all available players will be old guys.

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Roquan is just not up to par yet, Gordon was constantly targeted, not sure what you mean when you say more involved.

I think Watts and Jones will be okay but not great. That's a draft pick away, not sure FAgency can fix that this year. Obunjobi only has 3 tackle assists so far this year. Almost all available players will be old guys.

The DTs can only do so much when it is 4 v 2. On a lot of those outside zone runs, GB had 5-6 blockers to 3-4 defenders. We need all the LBs and a Safety in the box there to make it even numbers. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

The DTs can only do so much when it is 4 v 2. On a lot of those outside zone runs, GB had 5-6 blockers to 3-4 defenders. We need all the LBs and a Safety in the box there to make it even numbers. 

That's pretty much what Eberflus said... the LBs must be playing downhill more quickly to squeeze the gaps.  We don't have any DTs good enough to get through the line and make a play in the backfield but they usually do a good job scraping down the line.  The DTs need someone to plug the hole and force the RB back toward them before they pass the LOS and then we can hold the runs to short gains.  Our LBs are usually making first contact with a blocker 3-5yd behind the LOS.  

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I mean making positive plays. Youre right I could have chosen a better word! But these guys need to make plays!

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That's pretty much what Eberflus said... the LBs must be playing downhill more quickly to squeeze the gaps.  We don't have any DTs good enough to get through the line and make a play in the backfield but they usually do a good job scraping down the line.  The DTs need someone to plug the hole and force the RB back toward them before they pass the LOS and then we can hold the runs to short gains.  Our LBs are usually making first contact with a blocker 3-5yd behind the LOS.  

I read where on those longs runs by GB whoever had outside responsibly didnt turn the play in and the LBs couldnt catch up chasing them going outside. Lots of missed tackles doesnt help.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I read where on those longs runs by GB whoever had outside responsibly didnt turn the play in and the LBs couldnt catch up chasing them going outside. Lots of missed tackles doesnt help.

Yeah, definitely no contain and no gap integrity for sure. I think the DE's went up the field so fast, they took themselves out of the play.

11 hours ago, adam said:

From what I have read, they were taking Mooney and Kmet out, which forced Fields into his 2nd or 3rd reads. They didn't double them, just had the Safety shading towards them. On the long ball, it just looked like Mooney gave up on it when he knew it was well over his head. Also, Fields needed to throw it to his side, the Safety had a better angle over the top. Fields needed to lead Mooney away from the Safety.

I am not too concerned, he was basically the WR1 last year for most of the year. I just think Getsy is trying too many long developing plays instead of quick slants and other quick hitters. 

To me it is the entire offense still getting used to the new system with live ammo. It feels like Getsy has also been fairly conservative with Fields to this point. At some point you have to just let him play football. From the presser, Fields stated that he runs the plays that he is given, which seems to be he doesn't have much flexibility to audible at the line. That needs to change. 

If he doesn't have at least 5-6 catches and 8-9 targets against Houston, then I will be concerned.

I'm not sure if it's Getsy being conservative or if it's Fields. I think they are giving Fields a lot of RPOs and Fields is making the decision to hand it off instead of throwing the ball. If that is the case, Getsy may have to dial down the RPOs a bit and force Fields to throw the ball more and get him a little more comfortable. 

30 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

That's not at all what I saw when I re-watched the game.  Our LBs were to busy dancing with blockers way back off the LOS.  Often Roquan was pushed back 8yds off the LOS.  That was because he just stood there in the same place he was at the snap letting the OT/OG run right up to him.  

Most of their big runs were off-tackle and on almost every play I saw a DB set contain on the far edge.  Sometimes DEs got upfield early and forced the play inside of them but they couldn't get off the blocks to make a tackle.   Other times the DEs got caught up in blocks (it's what happens with double teams OT/TE just like we did to them).  Nobody got in those gaps.   

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

I'm not sure if it's Getsy being conservative or if it's Fields. I think they are giving Fields a lot of RPOs and Fields is making the decision to hand it off instead of throwing the ball. If that is the case, Getsy may have to dial down the RPOs a bit and force Fields to throw the ball more and get him a little more comfortable. 

I never thought about the RPOs, I will have to go back and see how many were called and what the run/pass ratio was. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Some of containment were the responsibility of a S or CB. They cited Gordon on several plays. 

As the NB Gordon lined up in same spot as the LBs on many plays so yes he had his fair share of misses.  At least he was doing that closer to the LOS not 5 yards behind it.  For the 2nd quarter it seemed GB literally ran right at Gordon but it's probably more correct to say they just ran the ball if we were in Nickel.