Week 4 Official Game Thread - CHI @ NYG, +3, O/U 39.5, SUN 10/02, 12:00PM CT - FOX

adam

Giants are playing tonight, so I wanted to start this thread before the game. It will be interesting to see if they win and start the season 3-0. 

I thought the initial line of Bears -3 was very telling. Vegas thinks this is an even game on a neutral field.  They will have the short week.

Without the 3rd game for the Giants, the team stats will be a little skewed, but I will update later. Right now for comparison sake:

Pts scored - CHI - 20th, NYG - 16th

Pts allowed - CHI - 12th, NYG - 8th

Total Yards - CHI - 31st, NYG - 22nd

Total Yards Against - CHI - 20th, NYG - 13th

INTs - CHI - 3, NYG - 0

Sacks - CHI - 6, NYG - 3

So NYG beat TEN and CAR. CAR might be the worst team in the league (like HOU). Mayfield threw for 145 yds against the Giants. Against the Titans, they had 2x 60+ yd plays (1 run, 1 pass) that led to 2 of their TDs. 

The Giants have yet to get an INT, and only average 1.5 sacks a game. That is very favorable for Fields. Their passing defense looks good in terms of yards allowed, but it is sort of off with who they played. 

This will be an away game for Fields, maybe he plays better, like he did against PIT last year. He really needs a game like that to get his confidence back. It seems like it is all gone and he is overthinking on every play. 

My early prediction is Bears 23-20. 

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

After watching MNF I'm not sure what to think of the Giants matchup.  Their losing a WR in Sterling Shepard will help but that was a freak no-contact injury on the last play of the game.    

Who is Jones throwing to without Shepard? 

Jones was pressured over 20 times and sacked 5 times. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Byron Pringle heads to the Injured Reserve.  Hoping Velus Jones can play and contribute in returns. 

I hope our 2nd string TE Griffin can return this week.  I'm just wondering if with him out did we have a different set of plays last week from what we ran in Wk1 and 2?  If so, was that one piece of the puzzle for Fields not being comfortable with his reads or protection?  

Maybe Adam knows where to dig up stats on formations and how often we use 2 TEs?   

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I hope our 2nd string TE Griffin can return this week.  I'm just wondering if with him out did we have a different set of plays last week from what we ran in Wk1 and 2?  If so, was that one piece of the puzzle for Fields not being comfortable with his reads or protection?  

Maybe Adam knows where to dig up stats on formations and how often we use 2 TEs?   

Great question, I think I can. At this point though, regardless of play call, scheme, defense, etc, it comes down to playing ball. Right now any QB in the NFL, even guys on the practice squads can come in and do what he has done. 

One more game like this and Fields will have the longest run of futility in the Super Bowl era. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

Great question, I think I can. At this point though, regardless of play call, scheme, defense, etc, it comes down to playing ball. Right now any QB in the NFL, even guys on the practice squads can come in and do what he has done. 

One more game like this and Fields will have the longest run of futility in the Super Bowl era. 

After watching the film I posted elsewhere he had options on almost every play.  One of his biggest mistakes was the tendency to roll out of the pocket instead of stepping up when it was wide open in front of him.  I don't see anything magical needed, just a QB who needs to relax and take the quick and easy play the D gives him.  He doesn't need to lock onto the deepest target for so long hoping for big gains.   Based on what I saw last night the Giants will give him similar opportunities to complete easy passes. 

19 hours ago, AZ54 said:

After watching the film I posted elsewhere he had options on almost every play.  One of his biggest mistakes was the tendency to roll out of the pocket instead of stepping up when it was wide open in front of him.  I don't see anything magical needed, just a QB who needs to relax and take the quick and easy play the D gives him.  He doesn't need to lock onto the deepest target for so long hoping for big gains.   Based on what I saw last night the Giants will give him similar opportunities to complete easy passes. 

It might be a mistake, or it might be a "touchdown - checkdown" order of reads from the coaching staff, which if so, are probably a good idea, but he needs to process them more quickly.

Updated after MNF:

Offense
Pts scored
- CHI - 20th, NYG - 18th

Total Yards - CHI - 31st, NYG - 22nd

Defense
Pts allowed
- CHI - 11th, NYG - 12th

Total Yards Against - CHI - 20th, NYG - 16th

INTs - CHI - 3, NYG - 0
Sacks - CHI - 6, NYG - 3

The Giants did not register a sack or INT against DAL. That seems to be their defense's weakness. They are decent for pts allowed and yards allowed, but don't seem to get much pressure nor are they opportunistic in their secondary. Let's hope Fields doesn't end that INT streak.

I am updating my prediction, Bears 24-17

49 minutes ago, adam said:

Jaylon Johnson and Montgomery out for Sunday. Roquan and Velus full participants and are a go for Sunday. I hope they get Velus involved on a few scripted offensive plays. Just put the ball in his hands and lets see what he can do.

I am curious if we see the guy we picked up for the Vikings start to get some snaps. He was young and quite frankly seems better than our already pretty junky wideout options.  The guy from Iowa (forget his name).  

37 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am curious if we see the guy we picked up for the Vikings start to get some snaps. He was young and quite frankly seems better than our already pretty junky wideout options.  The guy from Iowa (forget his name).  

ISM:  Ihmir Smith-Marsette

7 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

There are WRs getting open but Fields aint seeing them, or doesnt have time to throw to them. Our room is okay, but injuries hurt it.

I said earlier, if we win this game, and we certainly can, we will set the record as the worst ever NFL team to go 3-1 lol

That doesnt mean we will be terrible at the end of the year either. But right now, we deserve our rankings. A breakout game (or two) for the offense would go a long way in dispelling that.

39 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If we end up winning this game we will be 3-1. It will be interesting to see the national media speech when we still have the worst passing game in the league. Some only predicated us only having 3 wins. I hope we go 6-1 and see what them idiots have to say then.

6-1 possible and would be hilarious, thought they could lose their last 10 and finish 6-11. I think everyone gets fired if that happens.

I’m looking forward to this game to see how well the Giants’ offense plays.  Brian Daboll was someone I would’ve like to see as the HC for Chicago.  With how the offense was running in Buffalo and his success in the college ranks I thought he’d be a great addition for the sake of Fields.  However over the first three weeks his offense has been pretty putrid.  PFF has the offense currently ranked 32nd overall.  In each of the last two games they have scored only one TD apiece and not been able to do so until the second half. They are certainly struggling on offense but I suspect it’s more Daniel Jones than Daboll.  

For what it’s worth I’m still a fan of Flus.  I like his style of coaching and I really like that his defense seems to be holding their own, so far.  As far as offense goes, someone on Twitter mentioned that their 85 year old dad said the current version of Chicago offense is what they’ve been known for years to do.  A good defense and a great ground game.  Anything Justin does positive at this point is gravy.  He’ll get better with time.