Another Ugly Game - Same Thing Every Week

adam

8 hours ago, Bill said:

My point was that before the Giants game they seemed to say he was doing great.  Have not seen it all season so far.  They just don't have enough OLmen to play the game at this point.  Eislien anyone?

Actually that might not be a bad option but if Patrick can snap he needs to play Center.  It's just too pivotal a position both for the line calls and performance.  I'd be ok with Eiselen from a physical performance standpoint he's a bit more stout but I don't think he'd handle the calls very well at this stage.  That's where Patrick at Center helps even if you have a rookie like Carter next to him. 

I hope what Eberflus said Monday about Patrick staying at LG was just early week chatter because I haven't been impressed with him at RG.  I can't see that getting better with a position switch to the other side.  Monday is all about grading out the previous game with the players, then they start game planning.   Tue should be when the coaches reconvene and hopefully they decide to experiment a bit with the LG spot:  Reiff, Schofield, or even Carter.   At least then if it's Patrick we can know it's the best option.    

It's so bad I just can't stop laughing:  PFF scores for Bears Oline in wk 4 and they weren't all horrible, weren't all good either, but that one below for Mustipher is something I didn't think was possible.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-pff-grades-how-the-offensive-line-fared-in-week-4-loss-to-giants/

"Pass protection: 1.5"

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It's so bad I just can't stop laughing:  PFF scores for Bears Oline in wk 4 and they weren't all horrible, weren't all good either, but that one below for Mustipher is something I didn't think was possible.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-pff-grades-how-the-offensive-line-fared-in-week-4-loss-to-giants/

"Pass protection: 1.5"

I don’t get why they aren’t looking at one or schofield or Borom at guard while getting Patrick at center. If Borom was at guard - you flip Riley out to RT. 

5 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I don’t get why they aren’t looking at one or schofield or Borom at guard while getting Patrick at center. If Borom was at guard - you flip Riley out to RT. 

I thought about that too.  I think Borom is a better fit at OG anyway.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/justin-fields-was-under-pressure-50-percent-his-dropbacks

Very interesting stat:  Justin Fields was under pressure on 51.4% of his dropbacks against the Giants. On plays where he was kept clean, he went 10-of-14 for 168 yards, with a PFF grade of 90.3

Justin Fields’ average time to throw on plays where he was kept clean was 2.84 seconds, according to PFF

We'd all like to see some quicker throws in there but we'd also like to see some WRs win early on the route.  Add in that we had 5 drops and it's not hard to see Fields putting up an average statistical game if he had an average supporting cast.  I'm not giving up on him.    

19 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I thought about that too.  I think Borom is a better fit at OG anyway.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/justin-fields-was-under-pressure-50-percent-his-dropbacks

Very interesting stat:  Justin Fields was under pressure on 51.4% of his dropbacks against the Giants. On plays where he was kept clean, he went 10-of-14 for 168 yards, with a PFF grade of 90.3

Justin Fields’ average time to throw on plays where he was kept clean was 2.84 seconds, according to PFF

We'd all like to see some quicker throws in there but we'd also like to see some WRs win early on the route.  Add in that we had 5 drops and it's not hard to see Fields putting up an average statistical game if he had an average supporting cast.  I'm not giving up on him.    

Fields was a lot better against Giants than the first 3 games. More accurate, more decisive and better progressions. Lot of stuff in this game on others - whether the line or the poor seperation from wideouts etc.

One thing I had to remind myself - go look up St Brown and Pettis career stats. They are horrendous. These are #5 wideouts being put into #2 and #3 situations and our #1 is a very good #2. The weapons Fields has outside of Mooney and his running backs are just downright trash. Kmet is ok too.

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Fields was a lot better against Giants than the first 3 games. More accurate, more decisive and better progressions.

I saw this too.

I think of it like this. A stone archway holds itself up because each stone leans on it's neighbors. If you have 10% of the stones in or 70% it still falls. It's not until the last stonw gets in place that the whole system works.

Fields is adding stones to his game. He is improving, even if the final result is still falling down. He may well put it all together later this season and be an amazing QB for us. or not.

Similarly, the whole team is an arch too. Until everyone can do their job, they can't win.

There definitely is progress each week. You cant use the results alone to judge the incremental progress, but you sure as hell can use the final results to say whether the entire product is good enough, and right now it isnt. Agree, plenty of blame to go around, including Fields, but also reasons for hope and signs of growth.

Swift kicks in with some good All-22 breakdown on Fields and the Oline.  I listened to Getsy today and I think this staff is done with Mustipher.  That doesn't mean we have good options but IMO they should be thinking after the first 4 games we haven't seen the improvement we expected.  If we were to give someone else 4 games experience would we be in a better spot? 

Teven Jenkins doesn't even have 4 games experience and he's improved.  He's not perfect as he gets beat on the very last play in this review but more often than not he's blocking his man the furthest away from Justin as compared to everyone else.   

Patrick continued to practice some at Center so that means he's not a lock at LG as Eberflus said on Mon.  If he was they wouldn't take away valuable LG reps from him.  That also means someone else, maybe Carter, got snaps at LG.   

The Oline keeps blowing up our offensive production. Fields inconsistent decisions doesnt help.  Unfortunately we have to be almost error free to win a game. Whitehair is the worst thing that could have happened for the line to get better. Its odd that the line blocks well for the run but are so bad in pass protection. We just need to scheme more quick passes, runs on the corners and stay away from penalties  to improve our offensive production. In the last game trying to stop Barkley was near impossible but we would have won the game if we controlled the edge with the Jones runs. We can gain more consistent play and still struggle to win because we just dont have enough good players at several positions. Injuries has contributed to our poor play but we cant control that.

I think as much as Patrick is just average it would help a great deal if Mustifer isnt taking snaps. Hopefully Carter or Schofield can be more consistent going forward. Teven Jenkins on the field all the time would help a lot. He hasnt given up any penalties or sacks.  Is one of the best RGs are far as giving up pressures in the league. 

The OTs need to improve but show some promise. 

We get in to many 3rd and longs. We need to pass more in our 1st and 2nd downs. 

There are several football people that have pointed out that with our center putting his head down to hike the ball, he is missing on some Oline line calls for protection. They suggested Guard recognition and then they touch the center to hike the ball. To many times the OC is getting blown up.

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The Oline keeps blowing up our offensive production. Fields inconsistent decisions doesnt help.  Unfortunately we have to be almost error free to win a game. Whitehair is the worst thing that could have happened for the line to get better. Its odd that the line blocks well for the run but are so bad in pass protection. We just need to scheme more quick passes, runs on the corners and stay away from penalties  to improve our offensive production. In the last game trying to stop Barkley was near impossible but we would have won the game if we controlled the edge with the Jones runs. We can gain more consistent play and still struggle to win because we just dont have enough good players at several positions. Injuries has contributed to our poor play but we cant control that.

I think as much as Patrick is just average it would help a great deal if Mustifer isnt taking snaps. Hopefully Carter or Schofield can be more consistent going forward. Teven Jenkins on the field all the time would help a lot. He hasnt given up any penalties or sacks.  Is one of the best RGs are far as giving up pressures in the league. 

The OTs need to improve but show some promise. 

We get in to many 3rd and longs. We need to pass more in our 1st and 2nd downs. 

There are several football people that have pointed out that with our center putting his head down to hike the ball, he is missing on some Oline line calls for protection. They suggested Guard recognition and then they touch the center to hike the ball. To many times the OC is getting blown up.

Our OTs usually don't get blown up early and typically are just giving up edge pressure deep in the pocket.  That's a weakness for both OTs but it's also the pass rush being done to contain Fields.  If Fields could or would step up in the pocket most of that pressure, not all of it, would disappear.  Fixing the interior blocking is key and after watching Patrick get pushed around I don't know if we have the players to make that happen regardless of where he lines up.     

What I find interesting is the PFF scores for Jenkins is low and yet he gave up no sacks or pressures. That is what is confusing on how they grade. It is a combination of line misses, Fields missteps and some on play calling. We need to be more consistent to get a flow for our offense. As much as we see lots of negative, I think we are improving. There is only a handful of plays, that if successful, we would have won the game.  Obviously we need to upgrade our talent, but for example, if our edge protection was good, Jones runs would have been minor and the whole game is different. We are not going to stop Cook but we need to stop him from chunk plays. Also Jefferson is going to have a big day but if we can keep him from TD plays, we have a chance. Vikings defense is suspect, If we can keep our mistakes low, we have a chance to go off with our offense.  Something that could make a difference if how physical we are playing.  A ton of Giants were injured and if we can disrupt their play , later in the game it should help.

I think this will turn out to be a GB type game , 27-10 but if we can make Cousins uncomfortable in the pocket, we should get some TOs. That may change the outcome of the game.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

What I find interesting is the PFF scores for Jenkins is low and yet he gave up no sacks or pressures. That is what is confusing on how they grade. It is a combination of line misses, Fields missteps and some on play calling. We need to be more consistent to get a flow for our offense. As much as we see lots of negative, I think we are improving. There is only a handful of plays, that if successful, we would have won the game.  Obviously we need to upgrade our talent, but for example, if our edge protection was good, Jones runs would have been minor and the whole game is different. We are not going to stop Cook but we need to stop him from chunk plays. Also Jefferson is going to have a big day but if we can keep him from TD plays, we have a chance. Vikings defense is suspect, If we can keep our mistakes low, we have a chance to go off with our offense.  Something that could make a difference if how physical we are playing.  A ton of Giants were injured and if we can disrupt their play , later in the game it should help.

I think this will turn out to be a GB type game , 27-10 but if we can make Cousins uncomfortable in the pocket, we should get some TOs. That may change the outcome of the game.

PFF is a joke. Their analysis means nothing, and is often entirely wrong in laughable ways.