Roster stuff

Alaskan Grizzly

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

An interesting tidbit, since Sanborn took over for Roquan, he's the leading tackler in the league. What I like is the  most of his tackles are in front of him, not behind him.

Actually leading the NFL in solo tackles since Week 9.  Interesting discussion here among former players and HC.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Actually leading the NFL in solo tackles since Week 9.  Interesting discussion here among former players and HC.  

I think, at the very least, he's your SAM next year, and there's certainly an argument to be made for him to be looked at for more. I know the bears have a ton of money and a full arsenal of draft picks, but there's gonna be some hold overs and I think Jack has been earning a role. 

20 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I think, at the very least, he's your SAM next year, and there's certainly an argument to be made for him to be looked at for more. I know the bears have a ton of money and a full arsenal of draft picks, but there's gonna be some hold overs and I think Jack has been earning a role. 

I think he is a WLB, not fast enough to take TEs in man

I think he's next in line anyways, they are forced to. They invested money in him, so go for. He started for one year in LV, was the worst pass blocking OT in the league that year. He has all the measurements so its just getting his mental part of the game right. If he ends up turning things around, it was a great move by Poles and one spot we won't need to fill in the off-season. If not , he only wasted money of which he created a lot of it for next year.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think he's next in line anyways, they are forced to. They invested money in him, so go for. He started for one year in LV, was the worst pass blocking OT in the league that year. He has all the measurements so its just getting his mental part of the game right. If he ends up turning things around, it was a great move by Poles and one spot we won't need to fill in the off-season. If not , he only wasted money of which he created a lot of it for next year.

Agreed. There is no downside to playing him now. In fact, it's best to find out now if he has any value. 

Peace

10 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Flus gives a vague response to whether Leatherwood plays this weekend. But a guy who is not Coach Flus suggests a good reason to start him.  

This makes sense to me and I still think - with everything you know - you want Fields to play 4 weeks - giving him 2 more weeks of game rest is probably best opportunity to get to that point.  

It seems clear we are now in a full on tryout mode.   Signing a QB to the active roster for 3 weeks means they are going to protect Fields at all cost.  Signing a DT means the off-season search for talent has begun.  I agree we get leatherwood on the fields now before Fields returns.  As far as I’m concerned make the change at OC too.  I wouldn’t mind seeing Carter get some reps too but if a new OC is out there I think the best way to evaluate him is keeping whitehair and Jenkins on the field.  No need to win the games we need to win the draft.  

I think Carter was a LT in college not sure he ever played OC in college. I would just let him play the last few games instead of Whitehair , they know what they have in Whitehair.

Just heard on the radio that Justin was a full practice on the field today. I think he's going to play.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

It seems clear we are now in a full on tryout mode.   Signing a QB to the active roster for 3 weeks means they are going to protect Fields at all cost.  Signing a DT means the off-season search for talent has begun.  I agree we get leatherwood on the fields now before Fields returns.  As far as I’m concerned make the change at OC too.  I wouldn’t mind seeing Carter get some reps too but if a new OC is out there I think the best way to evaluate him is keeping whitehair and Jenkins on the field.  No need to win the games we need to win the draft.  

yup - we need tryouts and we need to have "decent" players at every position before the draft. All GMs do that. They fill holes with worst case scenario guys so they have the freedom to go best player available or some version of it.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not really a roster item for the Bears but, Robert Quinn enters IR with a (relatively) minor knee injury.  Could be back for playoffs.  Bears still hold a 4th round pick in exchange…and some money on his contract (?) but still…

If you consider the Claypool trade a minor loss, this is definitely a win. Quinn has never played good following a great season, and this is another one of those down years. A 4th rounder for him looks huge now. 

33 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

sounds like it was a bad stinger, and he may have been paralyzed for a moment. That would explain the whole team standing around so somberly there for a bit. I hope its not anything that could more likely happen again.

I had read elsewhere that he went head to head with someone then fell immediately to the ground. Right before the commercial afterwards he was seen on the ground face down kicking.  Anytime you have something from the shoulders up happen like this, it’s a potential career changer/ender.  Gotta hope the best for him, especially just in general ‘life after football’.  

18 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Looks like he got his first good stinger.  The burning pain and numbness scare the crap outta you.  BTW-that was an all pro block he put on that guy.

Not to nitpick, but on the play it looks like it was intended to go inside; Reiff pulled there behind Jenkins and Jenkins' head was to the inside.  Montgomery looks like he sees the inside closing up and decides to run outside but I also notice Kmet is blocking down, right into the path of Reiff.  Maybe Rieff was meaning to get to the second level but on an outside play like that wouldn't he have continued behind instead of in front of Jenkins and Kmet?  I ask only because if outside, then Jenkins had his head on the wrong side which probably contributed to his stinger.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not to nitpick, but on the play it looks like it was intended to go inside; Reiff pulled there behind Jenkins and Jenkins' head was to the inside.  Montgomery looks like he sees the inside closing up and decides to run outside but I also notice Kmet is blocking down, right into the path of Reiff.  Maybe Rieff was meaning to get to the second level but on an outside play like that wouldn't he have continued behind instead of in front of Jenkins and Kmet?  I ask only because if outside, then Jenkins had his head on the wrong side which probably contributed to his stinger.  

The dude came in like a bullet, so the head got sacrificed to maintain body positioning.. Jenkins not only stopped him in his tracks, but also turned him.  Very difficult.