Where is the media outrage?

adam

Funny how other QBs, especially young ones can have a low volume game, but it is only a big deal with Fields does it:

Zach Wilson 1st Half: 6-12, 28 yds passing, 2 sacks
Trevor Lawrence 1st Half: 7-8, 45 yds passing, 4 sacks
Kenny Pickett 1st Half: 11-16, 68 yds, 1 TD, 1 sack

38 minutes ago, adam said:

Funny how other QBs, especially young ones can have a low volume game, but it is only a big deal with Fields does it:

Not true.  Every fan base has angst over their young QB's.  Fields is getting national attention for two reasons; the bears numbers are epically low and they know Fields is capable of way more than he's shown.

15 hours ago, adam said:

We were on national TV which exposes Fields to the rest of the country. If any of those teams are winning it quiets the negative. I think a lot of it has to do with the national take being, not very good, so they just like to say they were right. 

17 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Not true.  Every fan base has angst over their young QB's.  Fields is getting national attention for two reasons; the bears numbers are epically low and they know Fields is capable of way more than he's shown.

Wilson threw for 110 yds and ran for 1 yd with 0 TDs and a total of 10 completions. This is the media headlines:

"Zach Wilson and the Jets soar to victory over the Packers" - FOX Sports

"Zach Wilson won in Lambeau against his idol, Aaron Rodgers" - Yahoo Sports

'Student' Zach Wilson Shows 'Teacher' Aaron Rodgers a Few Tricks in Jets' Win - from team website - hilarious!

33 minutes ago, adam said:

Wilson threw for 110 yds and ran for 1 yd with 0 TDs and a total of 10 completions. This is the media headlines:

"Zach Wilson and the Jets soar to victory over the Packers" - FOX Sports

"Zach Wilson won in Lambeau against his idol, Aaron Rodgers" - Yahoo Sports

'Student' Zach Wilson Shows 'Teacher' Aaron Rodgers a Few Tricks in Jets' Win - from team website - hilarious!

There's nothing negative about the Jets winning in Lambeau.

Nothing magical here.  Jets won behind 110yds of passing from their 2nd year QB and a strong running game from a former Iowa St. Cyclone at RB. 

The difference between them and us is they shutdown GBs running game.    But yeah, per NFL media if you win the game the QB played well.  

QBs who threw for under 150 yds in Week 7:

Lamar Jackson 9-16, 120 yds
Zach Wilson 16-26, 121 yds
Marcus Mariota 8-13, 124 yds
Ryan Tannehill 13-20, 132 yds

QBs with under 150 passing yards the last two weeks (totals):
Zach Wilson 26-44, 231 yds
Marcus Mariota 21-27, 253 yds
compare to:
Fields 29-48, 398 yds

INTs
Matt Ryan - 9, on pace for 22
Matt Stafford - 8, on pace for 23

Kenny Pickett 7 INTs in 127 attempts
Lamar Jackson 6 INTs in 197 attempts
Mac Jones 5 INTs in 97 attempts
Jameis Winston 5 INTs in 115 attempts
Justin Fields 5 INTs in 115 attempts

Fields not great, but every game he doesn't throw for 250 brings out the old narrative.  

11 hours ago, adam said:

Wilson today: 16-26, 121 yds, 4.7 YA, a week after 10-18, 110 yds. 231 passing yds in 2 games, yet when Fields had 2 games like that, the entire media establishment ripped him. 

The common thread between them?   Both former GB offense (oriented) coaches.  And we see how well GBs offense is running now with Rodgers struggling.  

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The common thread between them?   Both former GB offense (oriented) coaches.  And we see how well GBs offense is running now with Rodgers struggling.  

Yeah, its almost like that offense needs an elite QB and WR1 to work. Kinda scares me because they should be molding the offense around the players they have.

28 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, its almost like that offense needs an elite QB and WR1 to work. Kinda scares me because they should be molding the offense around the players they have.

Not to blame Getsy but...  if you look at his coaching history, a good chunk of his time has been with GB, especially more recently. From 2014-17 he was their offensive quality control and wide receivers coach (under McCarthy) before going to Mississippi State to be the Off Coordinator and WR coach in 2017.  Interestingly he was there for only one season before returning to GB where he became the QB coach in 2018 joining new HC Matt Lefleur.  I'm guessing Rodgers put in a good word for him.  

At any rate, Getsy's time at Miss State wasn't necessarily one that would make you sit up and notice.  Seems their offense was pretty lackluster during his one year there and after "another dismal performance on offense in the Outback Bowl", Getsy chose to return to GB.  Some other notes of Getsy's tenure while at Miss State were the "up and down play from senior quarterback Nick Fitzgerald" and "Getsy's wide outs were also inconsistent."  Lastly the article below notes:  "Getsy shouldn't be blamed for most of Miss State's woes on offense, but he certainly didn't have any revolutionary solutions to the plethora of problems the unit had throughout the season."  

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2019/01/21/mississippi-state-bulldogs-offensive-ccordinator-luke-getsy-green-bay-packers-wide-receivers-coach/2641854002/

You don't always know where rising stars are to be found because their mentors can either drive their success or stifle their success by forcing them to do things they'd rather not do (i.e. play this guy, call this play, etc.).  Good people learn from both the good and bad scenarios and build it into their own work methods.  Others try to apply what they've learned and simply can't at the next level.  

Would you rather Belichick/Josh McDaniels and his 2-4 Raiders with the top WR and 3x Pro Bowl QB,    or Getsy and 2-4 Bears?  

What was Mike Tomlin's resume before he became a HC?  

At this point, I have seen absolutely nothing from Getsy that says he can develop Fields (or any other offensive player), or that his play calling and scheme work. I have not seen it yet and after 6 games, you would hope to see some progress. Technically the WAS game was one of the worst with only 7 points scored.  I hope he improves.

56 minutes ago, adam said:

At this point, I have seen absolutely nothing from Getsy that says he can develop Fields (or any other offensive player), or that his play calling and scheme work. I have not seen it yet and after 6 games, you would hope to see some progress. Technically the WAS game was one of the worst with only 7 points scored.  I hope he improves.

We just ignore the fact we're top 5 in rushing?   Sure Justin (5.0ypc) is a part of that but nobody is taking Lamar Jackson's rushing yards away from Baltimore.  Plus in reality we've had a good rushing game with our RBs (Herbert 6.3ypc, Monty 4.0ypc).   That's despite having no passing attack to make DBs worry.  

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

You don't always know where rising stars are to be found because their mentors can either drive their success or stifle their success by forcing them to do things they'd rather not do (i.e. play this guy, call this play, etc.)

Funny enough I was listening to Stugotz and Lebatard earlier and they were talking about Brian Daboll in the same light. Until he joined Buffalo he was (as they described) a bit of a laughing-stock. But since he was with Buffalo he’s gotten some credit for making Josh Allen what he’s become . And to some level making Daniel Jones look good in NY.

The thing with an example like Josh McDaniel is we’ve seen him make a mess of things in Denver before heading back to NE.  And in all reality, so far all (or at least most) of Belichick’s coaching tree hasn’t really done much good outside of NE.

Anyhow, all that said I’m not completely out on Getsy yet.  It’s just interesting that both he and Hackett (in Denver) are struggling away from GB and under the protective umbrella of Rodgers.  

As I type this the Bears take on a very nice offensive drive with a score to take the lead 10-0. Maybe that mini-bye was a good thing after all?  We shall see.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

We just ignore the fact we're top 5 in rushing?   Sure Justin (5.0ypc) is a part of that but nobody is taking Lamar Jackson's rushing yards away from Baltimore.  Plus in reality we've had a good rushing game with our RBs (Herbert 6.3ypc, Monty 4.0ypc).   That's despite having no passing attack to make DBs worry.  

The designed runs for Fields was the missing piece. Now defenses not only have to worry about him scrambling, but now they have to account for him from the snap as a runner. This is what I needed to see. 

I have not been impressed with some of the play designs but his play calling tonight was his best game yet. Very few plays were predictable outside of a few runs. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

The designed runs for Fields was the missing piece. Now defenses not only have to worry about him scrambling, but now they have to account for him from the snap as a runner. This is what I needed to see. 

I have not been impressed with some of the play designs but his play calling tonight was his best game yet. Very few plays were predictable outside of a few runs. 

That's ok but I don't want him taking hits.  Take what you can get and get down.  Tonight he was one step ahead of Belichick and I can't say I ever expected to say that about any Bears coach.  

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That's ok but I don't want him taking hits.  Take what you can get and get down.  Tonight he was one step ahead of Belichick and I can't say I ever expected to say that about any Bears coach.  

Yeah, the entire coaching staff. I don't know if we could ever say the Bears out coached anyone since Lovie, and the Bears did it with all units and time management. 

One thing that was talked about before the Pats game was that Belichick was going surpass Papa Bear on the wins list.  They waxed on about how poetic it was going to be, that it would be in front of his home crowd and against the Bears.  They can all suck it!  The collective spirit of Bears passed wasn't going to have it...💪🏼

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, adam said:

Now the media has flipped on a dime. So funny. Come jump on the Fields bandwagon, we still have room. 

they always do for everything. so dont blame them, theyre spineless and automatic, you just win your share, and they love you.