Wk 10 Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears

AZ54

From today's press conference it's clear Eberflus was not happy with the pass coverage last week (nobody was).  Some of that is players not executing as per assignments or game plan.    Some is the lack of pass rush.   He was pretty clear today that we have to do a better job of mixing it up to get pressure.   

I'm expecting Sanborn and Morrow to play better this week.  I just watched the Miami game again focusing on a few plays and during the course of the game you could see the run reads and filling the gaps improve.  For his part Sanborn asked Morrow what to do on seemingly every play, which is ok, they are standing next to each other but doesn't bode well for knowing your role.   Sanborn was also really late getting into coverage.  Hopefully after watching his performance he'll be a step or two closer to where he should be this week. 

Detroits offense is middle of the road in both passing and rushing.  Their pass defense is 25th in total yards given up, run defense 27th.   They can't be looking forward to defending Fields diverse skill set.  Now with Claypool in his 2nd week of the offense he'll be doing more they haven't seen on film. 

Detroit contained the Packers running game last week but gave up 291yds passing.  On the offensive side it was just 137yds passing and 118yds rushing.  The one player that worries me is Aidan Hutchinson because his pass rush strength plays into our weakness blocking.  Expect to see help to his side and they might go back to what Dallas and NE did where the backside DE just runs upfield first to cover the rollouts.  

I'd like to get Borom back on the field as I think he's a better 2nd level run blocker than Reiff.  He's just more athletic and can get to better blocking angles.  I've seen some say Reiff is better in pass pro but he still gave up some pressures.  Pringle is 21d window practicing again this week so it's possible he's active this game (pushing Velus further down the depth chart).  Matt Adams also entered the 21d window.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Reiff stays on the field , he has been more consistent even thou he isnt very athletic.  I think they plan on seeing what Leatherwood can do in a few weeks since they have invested in him.  We have a chance to win 3 of he next 4 games. Det-Atl-Jets-GB. If we can get anything out of our defense, I think the O in is high gear right now. With Buffalo and Philly coming later, those are loses.  Probably 6 0r 7 wins this yr.

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Reiff stays on the field , he has been more consistent even thou he isnt very athletic.  I think they plan on seeing what Leatherwood can do in a few weeks since they have invested in him.  We have a chance to win 3 of he next 4 games. Det-Atl-Jets-GB. If we can get anything out of our defense, I think the O in is high gear right now. With Buffalo and Philly coming later, those are loses.  Probably 6 0r 7 wins this yr.

I wish I could remember what site / article I read this, but Reiff's contract gives him a huge, multi-million dollar bonus is he plays XX% of the offensive snaps over the course of the year. I just cannot remember for sure the figures, but I think it was like 10% of the snaps and a 5M bonus.

I wouldn't be surprised if this causes the Bears to keep him on a snap count.

I just found an article with the details. I was close:

• Riley Reiff, OT (Bears😞 One-year deal worth a maximum amount of $12.5MM ($10MM likely to be earned). Per ESPN’s Field Yates (on Twitter), the Bears structured Reiff’s contract in such a way that it will count for just $3MM against the cap next season. Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune provides more details on Twitter, noting that the lineman will earn a $3MM base salary, and he’ll earn another $4.5MM if he’s on the field for 10% of his team’s offense snaps. There are also incentives tied to offensive categories and a playoff appearance.

Expect the Lions to go after Vildor as all teams do and Jaylon Johnson was targeted with success a few times last week. 

Against Tua in the middle of the 3rd Qtr , the defense got him off of his spot a few times resulting in incompletions.

Against Goff, who has played here before when the weather wasn't idea, they need to come after him because he is not a threat to run. That will be accomplished by pressuring him up the middle

13 minutes ago, lemonej said:

Expect the Lions to go after Vildor as all teams do and Jaylon Johnson was targeted with success a few times last week. 

Against Tua in the middle of the 3rd Qtr , the defense got him off of his spot a few times resulting in incompletions.

Against Goff, who has played here before when the weather wasn't idea, they need to come after him because he is not a threat to run. That will be accomplished by pressuring him up the middle

You always want to pressure Goff because he'll make some toss-up throws off his back foot.  We just have to disguise it well.  

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yes, I would hope Fields goes over 250 yards with those targets.

When you add Kmet and Monty/Herbert to that mix. It would seem like there is at least a serviceable level of competent receivers to pass to. If teams are going to spy him now, that leaves someone open or with one on one coverage to exploit. 

10-10 at half. If not for Fields scrambling, Bears are probably being shutout. Jenkins was a late scratch and the OLine is a revolving door in the first half. Goff pretty much had all day to pass and the Bears apparently don't believe they need to cover St. Brown who already has 6 receptions. No other receiver in the game has more than 1.

Some ticky tack calls on the Bears early on that has killed 2 drives. Yet somehow miss penalties on the Lions:

Great response after the half, defense forces a 3 and out, then the offense drives right down and scores a TD on a pass from Fields to Kmet. I really liked that play design, it really highlights how hard it is to guard Fields when he has the ball in his hands. The defenders bit on the QB run and Kmet did a great fake block and slipped right passed the defender for an easy score. 

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Great response after the half, defense forces a 3 and out, then the offense drives right down and scores a TD on a pass from Fields to Kmet. I really liked that play design, it really highlights how hard it is to guard Fields when he has the ball in his hands. The defenders bit on the QB run and Kmet did a great fake block and slipped right passed the defender for an easy score. 

yup, one of the things I like most about football is the way everything depends on everything else. once you start to roll in one part of the game, the other parts get a boost too. so much fun!

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

yup, one of the things I like most about football is the way everything depends on everything else. once you start to roll in one part of the game, the other parts get a boost too. so much fun!

Yep, momentum is a tangible thing. That is why it is so hard to play against the refs, because they kill momentum. 

The defense shows up again, and the Bears strike quick with a 50 yarder from Fields to Kmet. Kmet now with 5 TDs on the season, he had 2 TDs in his entire career thru Week 7 of this year. Since Week 8 thru today, he has 5!

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Yep, momentum is a tangible thing. That is why it is so hard to play against the refs, because they kill momentum. 

The defense shows up again, and the Bears strike quick with a 50 yarder from Fields to Kmet. Kmet now with 5 TDs on the season, he had 2 TDs in his entire career thru Week 7 of this year. Since Week 8 thru today, he has 5!

for sure momentum is huge, but Im saying that, for example, if you can run the ball well, it opens up the passing game etc - with the threat of Fields running, it opens up everything else.