Bears at Jets Week 12 Official Game Thread, Mid QB Bowl Siemian vs White, SUN 12PM, FOX, NYJ -4.5, O/U 39.5

adam

3 minutes ago, adam said:

Siemian is a lot better than most people give him credit for. 

Nice to see Claypool involved early and often, 2-51 and a no-PI call.

Pringle with a nice contested catch for a TD. 

yes. Ive been waiting for Claypool to show up. This is good news.

18 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Looking like a poised vet too.  Justin needs to watch him work as the game is moving slower for Simien.  

Wife and I were just discussing this. If Simien and Justin could stand on the field together and Simien could tell Justin when to throw the call, he’d be golden.   Justin just needs more time to ‘see the field’ and have things slow down for him.  He also needs to trust his throws.  Most of the passes Simien has thrown have been contested.  For Justin, it’ll come.  

Remember Simien was drafted to replace Payton Manning.  And has been with four other teams since before coming to Chicago. 

If the Bears put anyone but Vildor on the field, they would have 3 more wins. I have never seen a DB so far off his guy on every play than him. Jets have scored 14 on him, 0 on the Bears other 10 players. 

Jackson down on on non-contact injury. Holding his foot/ankle, probably achilles, which sucks for him.

Jets lead only 17-10 at half. If not for a non-PI call against Claypool and Jackson's injury, the Bears probably lead 14-13, which is comical. 

96 yards given up on 2 plays. Outside of those two, the defense, which is missing 6 opening day players, is actually not playing that bad.

Mooney was not targeted in the first half. Kmet with 1 target.

Claypool 3 targets, 2 catches. 

The wheels have come off, but man, the refs (again) are doing the Bears no favors. On the Johnson TD run, Adams (#44) is clearly being held, but no call. On the Bears drive, Jones does way less of a hold and a big Monty run is called back. 

It is hard enough when you are starting your backup QB, with 5 defensive starters out, but then have to compete against the refs? No way.

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

My first guess was his Achilles popped.  If so, it is not good, as those take 9 to 12 months.  That would put FS high on the need list.

Those don’t just take a long time - but guys never regain the explosiveness after the injury. Hopefully it isn’t what we all fear. Similar with Mooney - hopefully his injury isn’t serious. 

55 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Those don’t just take a long time - but guys never regain the explosiveness after the injury. Hopefully it isn’t what we all fear. Similar with Mooney - hopefully his injury isn’t serious. 

Some athletes do get it back but it takes far more than a year.   

I'm not exactly looking forward to writing a little game summary but there are still a few things worth mentioning. 

Sanborn continues to show well.  He had just 1 negative play but with another double digit tackle game he's becoming a mainstay in our D.  I'd love to see him play behind a Dline that made the Oline work harder before getting to the 2nd level. 

Darrynton Evans has better vision and ran much better than Ebner did last week.  I think he sticks on the active roster for another week.  

Borom is not ever going to be the answer at RT.    

I understand that Siemian could be a bit rusty on the offense but why were so many other players unable to line up properly?  All I can think is that we got a glimpse of how good Fields is in the huddle calling the play and making sure guys know where to line up. 

With little passing threat, and no running threat from Fields, Montgomery ran for 5.6ypc, 79yds, and added 34yds on receptions.   That's a good day against a good defense on the road.   Evans added 34yd rushing and 33yds receiving. 

Elijah Hicks is going to give up a lot of yards receiving.  He's just not a good enough athlete to play deep.  When Brisker returns I expect he'll move to be more FS and leaving Houston-Carson to play more SS.  From what I saw with DHC I think that combination will be ok for us.   For those fans who want to see us move on from Jackson this will give you a good what-if scenario to evaluate.  

With Gordon and Brisker out it appeared we stayed out of nickel and used 3 LBs for most of the game.    I was optimistic about him when he signed with us but Cruikshank hasn't done much if anything this year.  We definitely have to add more depth among the DBs this offseason and if he's kept around, I doubt Vildor makes the roster next year. 

Armon Watts got a sack.   He and Pennell can sometimes make a play too often nobody else can.  Taco Charleton didn't even get on the stat line.  

Matt Adams played a lot of snaps and had just 1 tackle.  It seems you'd at least get credit for some assists somewhere in the game if you just got around the ball.   Joe Thomas isn't the answer so I'm getting curious to see what Weatherford can do.  If he plays poorly at most we'd be giving up 1 tackle.   

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That was my thought when I seen the replay and he grabbed his ankle. Maybe it is only an ankle injury.

38 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm not exactly looking forward to writing a little game summary but there are still a few things worth mentioning. 

Sanborn continues to show well.  He had just 1 negative play but with another double digit tackle game he's becoming a mainstay in our D.  I'd love to see him play behind a Dline that made the Oline work harder before getting to the 2nd level. 

Darrynton Evans has better vision and ran much better than Ebner did last week.  I think he sticks on the active roster for another week.  

Borom is not ever going to be the answer at RT.    

I understand that Siemian could be a bit rusty on the offense but why were so many other players unable to line up properly?  All I can think is that we got a glimpse of how good Fields is in the huddle calling the play and making sure guys know where to line up. 

With little passing threat, and no running threat from Fields, Montgomery ran for 5.6ypc, 79yds, and added 34yds on receptions.   That's a good day against a good defense on the road.   Evans added 34yd rushing and 33yds receiving. 

Elijah Hicks is going to give up a lot of yards receiving.  He's just not a good enough athlete to play deep.  When Brisker returns I expect he'll move to be more FS and leaving Houston-Carson to play more SS.  From what I saw with DHC I think that combination will be ok for us.   For those fans who want to see us move on from Jackson this will give you a good what-if scenario to evaluate.  

With Gordon and Brisker out it appeared we stayed out of nickel and used 3 LBs for most of the game.    I was optimistic about him when he signed with us but Cruikshank hasn't done much if anything this year.  We definitely have to add more depth among the DBs this offseason and if he's kept around, I doubt Vildor makes the roster next year. 

Armon Watts got a sack.   He and Pennell can sometimes make a play too often nobody else can.  Taco Charleton didn't even get on the stat line.  

Matt Adams played a lot of snaps and had just 1 tackle.  It seems you'd at least get credit for some assists somewhere in the game if you just got around the ball.   Joe Thomas isn't the answer so I'm getting curious to see what Weatherford can do.  If he plays poorly at most we'd be giving up 1 tackle.   

Excellent write up - completely agree with you on Borom. I have seen enough - maybe he can play guard but his time at tackle as a starter should end after this year, if not sooner (if someone else shows worthy). 

Sanborn has a knack to find the ball. If I am the Bears I am sitting Fields through the bye week - so give him basically 4 weeks since the injury happened until he plays his next game. Have him practice and get reps but get him ready to play post bye week for continued development in his arc as a passer. 

Just now, McGowan said:

The Bears said that EJ has a foot injury. The first thing I thought was Lisfranc and that's a career killer just like Achilles. 

Maybe it is but usually when you see a lisfranc injury it's because a player's foot was caught and bent downward (i.e. straight).  Eddie seemingly had a non-contact injury which means his foot was likely caught and twisted in the turf.  If it slipped forward then maybe Lisfranc is a concern.  Achilles would have been worse case.  Lisfranc or sprain should easily heal before the offseason begins with no long term effect.    I found this on Twitter.  

7 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Those are tough cause depending on the severity - it can be a career threatening injury I believe.  

Maybe a broken bone on the arch of the foot where all the stress is supported.  It is odd though because you'd think that would be so obvious that we wouldn't be sitting here still speculating on the severity.