Hurts vs Fields

adam

So last night Hurts had 153 passing yards and 157 rushing yards, with 2 passing TDs, and the national media is now saying he is in the running with Mahomes for MVP.

What is wild to me is using Fields last 6 games, Fields is averaging over 160 passing yards a game, 1.7 passing TDs, 107 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. 

In Hurts last 6 games, he is averaging 200 passing yards and 55 rushing yards a game and 2.5 total TDs. So 255 total yards and 2.5 total TDs to Fields 267 total yards and 2.7 total TDs. So Fields is playing better than an MVP candidate over the last 6 weeks. Oh by the way, Philly has a top 5 Offensive Line and AJ Brown, DeVonta Smith, and Dallas Goedert as their top 3 receivers. 

You can even go back 7 games, and Fields still has more total yards and the same number of TDs. Wild how the narrative is completely different even considering the players and circumstances around them. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

So last night Hurts had 153 passing yards and 157 rushing yards, with 2 passing TDs, and the national media is now saying he is in the running with Mahomes for MVP.

What is wild to me is using Fields last 6 games, Fields is averaging over 160 passing yards a game, 1.7 passing TDs, 107 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. 

In Hurts last 6 games, he is averaging 200 passing yards and 55 rushing yards a game and 2.5 total TDs. So 255 total yards and 2.5 total TDs to Fields 267 total yards and 2.7 total TDs. So Fields is playing better than an MVP candidate over the last 6 weeks. Oh by the way, Philly has a top 5 Offensive Line and AJ Brown, DeVonta Smith, and Dallas Goedert as their top 3 receivers. 

You can even go back 7 games, and Fields still has more total yards and the same number of TDs. Wild how the narrative is completely different even considering the players and circumstances around them. 

Hurts gets rid of the ball and reads the D significantly better than Fields does at this point.  I do buy the narrative that Fields has to grow as a passer and significantly for the team to truly get next level - because it is unsustainable to just run like he had, especially those last few weeks. No one's body can take that toll over a full season. 

With that said - that doesn't mean Fields ability to run doesn't help him. It helps him massively because it buys him time and means he doesn't have to be near as good at that skill set than others because the defense has a lot more to cover and worry about. This is why I think it is really important for Fields to get back after the bye week and stay healthy the rest of the way and really work on his ability as a passer, and that ability to get rid of the ball quick and on time in the offense so counter things.

If he does that - he'll have plenty of opportunities to run and keep defenses honest / make plays - all while really limiting the defenses ability to hit him a ton.  It will take time but if he doesn't make moderate to large improvements as a passer, we will still be looking for a next QB a year from now (not next year). That said - I fully believe in Field(s) ability to develop and achieve those things.  

But anyone watching last night so how explosive Hurts is - who is just an okay pocket passer (but okay is still a heck of a lot better than what Justin is).  If you are okay and can do the rest - you are in business if you are an athlete like Fields.  

22 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Hurts gets rid of the ball and reads the D significantly better than Fields does at this point.  I do buy the narrative that Fields has to grow as a passer and significantly for the team to truly get next level - because it is unsustainable to just run like he had, especially those last few weeks. No one's body can take that toll over a full season. 

With that said - that doesn't mean Fields ability to run doesn't help him. It helps him massively because it buys him time and means he doesn't have to be near as good at that skill set than others because the defense has a lot more to cover and worry about. This is why I think it is really important for Fields to get back after the bye week and stay healthy the rest of the way and really work on his ability as a passer, and that ability to get rid of the ball quick and on time in the offense so counter things.

If he does that - he'll have plenty of opportunities to run and keep defenses honest / make plays - all while really limiting the defenses ability to hit him a ton.  It will take time but if he doesn't make moderate to large improvements as a passer, we will still be looking for a next QB a year from now (not next year). That said - I fully believe in Field(s) ability to develop and achieve those things.  

But anyone watching last night so how explosive Hurts is - who is just an okay pocket passer (but okay is still a heck of a lot better than what Justin is).  If you are okay and can do the rest - you are in business if you are an athlete like Fields.  

I think part of Fields problem is the O-Line and the WRs, and potentially the scheme. Hurts has all day to throw and is throwing to 3 top 20 receiving options, so making reads and going through progressions is much easier under those conditions.

What is wild is even given those differences, Fields still outperformed Hurts over the last 6 games, and the only difference being the game outcome due to the quality of the rosters.

I agree that Fields has long way to go as a passer, but that would be signifcantly accelerated with a better supporting cast.

28 minutes ago, adam said:

I think part of Fields problem is the O-Line and the WRs, and potentially the scheme. Hurts has all day to throw and is throwing to 3 top 20 receiving options, so making reads and going through progressions is much easier under those conditions.

What is wild is even given those differences, Fields still outperformed Hurts over the last 6 games, and the only difference being the game outcome due to the quality of the rosters.

I agree that Fields has long way to go as a passer, but that would be signifcantly accelerated with a better supporting cast.

I don't personally think that Fields outperformed Hurts. Field(s) had some incredible individual performances - and made some absolute insane plans. But everything Hurts did looked far more sustainable.  Call it easy. Nothing Fields did was easy - it showcased his completely elite athleticism,  but he also took a ton of hits, etc and those added up.  It wasn't like the last hit that caused his injury got him - but the dude was clearly gassed. He talked about it entering the Falcons game how tired his body was and than he took his biggest beating yet in the Falcons game.  

Call it the eye test - Hurts has ben a multi-dynamic weapon who has thrown and rushed effectively but made it looks relatively easy and in rhythm.  Kind of like prime Russel Wilson (best I can compare).  On the flipside - Fields was absolutely spectacular from an individual performance perspective - but his body took a beating each and every week and all of that came from his feet. Yes - he had some solid pass plays that showcased his arm talent, but even than, most of those plays were completely based upon his legs, etc.  

It is why Field(s) upside is so high - he got his team to score points despite being a pure crap pure passer at this point (again - he can throw a really good deep and intermediate ball - so he has arm/throwing talent) but he's still really bad within the system. 

To lead the Bears to the promiseland, he doesn't have to be elite within the system, or even great, but if he can be solid to average within the system - than he will still be an above average to great (maybe even elite player). But he will never lead the Bears to the promiseland if he doesn't improve from a pure crap player within the system to mediocre to average/good.  He has a few bars to climb and is still young and clearly can do it.

And having better players and protection around him - can help him get there, but a lot is on him too. Semien on those 1st 2 drives, delivered the ball in rhythm and on-time more in 2 drives than Fields probably did in the past 6 weeks combined (if I'm just being honest - and I like Fields).