I Never Thought I Would Be Weary Of Mock Drafts!

lemonej

7 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm not sure why they give me a D for the RB.  I can take the heat.

Ha! You made me snort!

Good draft. We still need more on the DL, but Free Agency is just getting started. I think your draft shows that serious starters can be had on the lines with 2nd and 3rd round picks this year. We are in good shape.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the odds of DE Tyree Wilson available at 9 are slim but to trade down to 13 and still get him is now unrealistic. 

Getting 3 athletic giants in DE Wilson 6-5" 271, DE White 6-4" 285, and DT Smith 6-3" 323 would give the Bears some monsters to help keep the back 7 clean.  Then add Pickens 6-3 291. 

Screenshot_20230314_201042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230314_201047_Samsung Internet.jpg

24 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I know the odds of DE Tyree Wilson available at 9 are slim but to trade down to 13 and still get him is now unrealistic. 

Getting 3 athletic giants in DE Wilson 6-5" 271, DE White 6-4" 285, and DT Smith 6-3" 323 would give the Bears some monsters to help keep the back 7 clean.  Then add Pickens 6-3 291. 

I would contribute money to get that kind of draft. Don't have a 3T in there but that's OK.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Gladly take the top 3.  I’m not that high on Mazi.  At 61 I think there will be better players probably a good TE to help Fields or a DT better suited for the 3 tech or OC.   Can’t see Spears getting out of the 3rd Rd.    

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still running mocks but now it's mostly to learn about some day 3 selections.  I'd be pretty happy if the draft fell this way for us.  I traded back with the Jets who wanted Broderick Jones, and gave me 13/43.  Then at 13 I took PJJr.  I'm not a big Mazi Smith fan but he was too good of a value at 61 and can fill the 5-tech role in a good rotation with Billings.  Our run defense will be significantly improved.  

Mingo instantly upgrades and replaces ESB.  In day 3 Wilson was good value and worth the injury risk at this point in the draft.  With Mingo and Wilson we'll have good depth this year at WR and enough pressure to push Claypool to earn a new contract.  TE Ben Sims is ranked as a UDFA but he's got good speed and hands, not the most agile runner, but is good enough to challenge for the 3rd TE role.  

image.pngΩ

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm still running mocks but now it's mostly to learn about some day 3 selections.  I'd be pretty happy if the draft fell this way for us.  I traded back with the Jets who wanted Broderick Jones, and gave me 13/43.  Then at 13 I took PJJr.  I'm not a big Mazi Smith fan but he was too good of a value at 61 and can fill the 5-tech role in a good rotation with Billings.  Our run defense will be significantly improved.  

Mingo instantly upgrades and replaces ESB.  In day 3 Wilson was good value and worth the injury risk at this point in the draft.  With Mingo and Wilson we'll have good depth this year at WR and enough pressure to push Claypool to earn a new contract.  TE Ben Sims is ranked as a UDFA but he's got good speed and hands, not the most agile runner, but is good enough to challenge for the 3rd TE role.  

image.pngΩ

It would be great to move down and still land one of the top OTs. That high 2nd would be nice

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It would be great to move down and still land one of the top OTs. That high 2nd would be nice

I like the trade for Claypool. No one could imagine it being a pick at the top of round two. I doubt Poles makes the trade in hindsight. Let's hope he works out as expected at the time of the trade.

It does bother me we have such a huge gap between our 1st round pick and our 2nd rounders. I am like many here hoping for a trade down that allows a starter with our 1st (OL or DL) and pick up an additional 2nd that is in the top half of round two, preferably top ten.

16 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I like the trade for Claypool. No one could imagine it being a pick at the top of round two. I doubt Poles makes the trade in hindsight. Let's hope he works out as expected at the time of the trade.

It does bother me we have such a huge gap between our 1st round pick and our 2nd rounders. I am like many here hoping for a trade down that allows a starter with our 1st (OL or DL) and pick up an additional 2nd that is in the top half of round two, preferably top ten.

I don't mind the trade but knowing now it is pick 32, makes it sting a little.  Claypool will be much better with an offseason to learn.  This offense could be a fun one to watch. 

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I don't mind the trade but knowing now it is pick 32, makes it sting a little.  Claypool will be much better with an offseason to learn.  This offense could be a fun one to watch. 

Knowing that in just ~6mo we went from Darnell Mooney being our #1 WR to our #3 WR this doesn't bother me at all.  Certainly I'd love to have that pick back but there is no WR at that pick who will help us with Job 1 (below) as much as Claypool will this year.  JSN is the only WR I'm high on in Rd 1 but he's a slot WR.  With Moore and Mooney we would really need a good big-body WR who can work the sidelines.  We got one.   

We're obviously rebuilding the entire roster but IMO Job 1 in 2023 is validating Fields is our future QB.  We've hedged that bet by having two 1st Rd picks next year, one a likely top 10 pick.   Now with Claypool, Moore, and Mooney the WRs are good.  Maybe we'll add 1 more to the mix for depth.  TE is good at top 2, again can add 1 more for depth.  RB has a good rotation too IMO.  Center is a bit of a question mark but Whitehair represents the floor there and that's an upgrade over last year.  Last year's starting C Patrick is this year's backup.  We have just 1 piece remaining at RT and then it's all on Fields to show us.   

When you consider how far the offense talent has come in 6mo, especially given the weak WR FA market, the fact we need just one more key piece is a great position to be in heading into Poles' 2nd draft.  If we get the correct RT, and if Fields is who we think he is, our offense should be good this year.  If this talent isn't enough for Fields to play well then we know what must be done.  

4 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Knowing that in just ~6mo we went from Darnell Mooney being our #1 WR to our #3 WR this doesn't bother me at all.  Certainly I'd love to have that pick back but there is no WR at that pick who will help us with Job 1 (below) as much as Claypool will this year.  JSN is the only WR I'm high on in Rd 1 but he's a slot WR.  With Moore and Mooney we would really need a good big-body WR who can work the sidelines.  We got one.   

We're obviously rebuilding the entire roster but IMO Job 1 in 2023 is validating Fields is our future QB.  We've hedged that bet by having two 1st Rd picks next year, one a likely top 10 pick.   Now with Claypool, Moore, and Mooney the WRs are good.  Maybe we'll add 1 more to the mix for depth.  TE is good at top 2, again can add 1 more for depth.  RB has a good rotation too IMO.  Center is a bit of a question mark but Whitehair represents the floor there and that's an upgrade over last year.  Last year's starting C Patrick is this year's backup.  We have just 1 piece remaining at RT and then it's all on Fields to show us.   

When you consider how far the offense talent has come in 6mo, especially given the weak WR FA market, the fact we need just one more key piece is a great position to be in heading into Poles' 2nd draft.  If we get the correct RT, and if Fields is who we think he is, our offense should be good this year.  If this talent isn't enough for Fields to play well then we know what must be done.  

I agree. The WR and TE group is so much better and should be a strength. I think we have our Thomas Jones Jr in Foreman and Herbert can put up big games himself.  We might have room for a gadget RB like Cohen who can be a menace for Ds too.  Get that solid RT early and I'd agree they are pretty well set.  If we can grab a top Center it would be a bonus for having years of oline excellence.  If Fields cannot pocket pass after these additions, we have a good shot with Carolinas pick to end up with next year's QB1 or 2.

Agree with everything. Also remember the top of the WR group in the draft is not rated high. There may be a few that end up being good but there's no Waddle or Jamar Chases in this draft. Claypool will easily make more of a contribution than any rookie would have. I think whether we draft a center or not, we will be ok at center. Whitehair, Patrick and Kramer are much better than what we had last year.

You can speak about all the help you get for Fields but Field's second year in this scheme will be leaps and bounds better than last year. Don't discount how well the running game will be that keep defenses honest in the passing game. The defense has a way to go but the offense is 90% there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I've looked at so many rankings and evaluations at this point that I can make a pretty good case for or against just about anyone in the draft, but here's where I'm at on a hopeful/realistic mock draft for the Bears:

9) Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State - Biggest need if we are trying to set Justin Fields up for success next year and checks all the boxes as far as character, length, athleticism, and versatility.  

53) Felix Anudike-Uzomah, DE, Kansas State - The Bears need an edge in the first four picks.  I could probably make a case for a lot of guys here, but FAU seems to have the best combination of production, length, and speed while also having the size to hold up as a 4-3 DE.

61) Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah - Again, there's lots of CBs in this range I like, and maybe the CB the Bears draft depends a little on whether they see Gordon fitting best outside or at nickel going forward, but I'm hedging a bit here by taking Phillips, who can definitely play nickel but might be just feisty enough to play outside too.  

64) AT Perry, WR, Wake Forest - Adding DJ Moore is great, but they are also an injury to DJ Moore away from having the exact same WR group as last year.  Lots of the 2nd/3rd round WRs are the small speedy type and I'd prefer to give those reps to Velus Jones going forward (though I do really like Tank Dell), so I'm going to go with Perry, because the Bears don't really have a developmental X receiver on the roster, Perry's basically George Pickens physically, and the Bears passed on Pickens last year and shouldn't do it again.

103) Moro Ojomo, DT, Texas - I'm not real sold on the 3Ts when we get out of the first round, but Ojomo is young enough and disruptive enough to warrant a pick here hoping he can contribute on rotation and grow into the role.

133) Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas - Between Whitehair, Patrick, and Kramer I'm not sure OC is enough of a need to go with early, but Stromberg seems to have the strength and movement skills to maybe push one of those guys out and maybe even for a starting role.

136) Cory Trice, CB, Purdue - The CB depth chart is pretty iffy, so I'll be happy to spend another pick on a tough prototype press corner who can project to the outside.

148) Ji'Ayir Brown, S, Penn State - I'm glad Eddie Jackson had a partial bounce-back year last year, but I'm still not sold on him at that price going forward, and our only back-up at this point is Elijah Hicks, so let's reunite Brisker with Brown, who can play either safety spot, play in sub-packages, and be a special teams demon.

218) Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA - There are some rumblings he will go earlier than this, but we've heard that about a lot of QBs in the past.  We are obviously changing our QB profile so he fits well with Fields and Walker, and I'd certainly rather have him running the offense in an emergency situation than Peterman.

258) Xazvian Valladay, RB, Arizona State - Valladay runs a bit upright but he shows enough speed, hands, and elusiveness producing in a big conference to push Ebner on the roster.

My annual stab at a 7 round mock.

9) Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

53) Keon White, DE, Ga Tech

61) Joe Tippmann, OC, Wis 

64) Gervon Dexter, DT, 3T Fla

103) Jayden Reed, WR, Mich ST

133) Jartavius Martin, CBN, Ill

136) Kenny McIntosh, RB, Ga

148) Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC

218) Aubrey Miller Jr, OLB, Jackson ST

258) Jake Moody, PK, Mich

5 hours ago, lemonej said:

My annual stab at a 7 round mock.

9) Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

53) Keon White, DE, Ga Tech

61) Joe Tippmann, OC, Wis 

64) Gervon Dexter, DT, 3T Fla

103) Jayden Reed, WR, Mich ST

133) Jartavius Martin, CBN, Ill

136) Kenny McIntosh, RB, Ga

148) Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC

218) Aubrey Miller Jr, OLB, Jackson ST

258) Jake Moody, PK, Mich

I like it! My current RB I want is Chase Brown, he has the extra gear but sacrifices the break tackles that McIntosh has.  Center, I feel like there are a handful of guys I think can be an upgrade and am good with Tippmann if chosen.

Screenshot_20230418_190639_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230418_190656_Samsung Internet.jpg

I like all of those prospects you drafted. When I do mocks, I consider what Poles picked up in free agency. For the NT spot, we picked up Billings and we have Justin Jones. I don't think he will prioritize NT early. I think he will add two 3 Ts instead of NT. Draft AA and then double down on wit Moro Ojoma.

I think they  add a OT and OC prospects. They have JaTre Carter and Dieter Eiselen for backups at OG. I think another OT prospect. 

He will bring in 2 DEs and let them compete with the new additions. The contracts are structured to be able to get out of.  Robinson will stay but Gibson could be odd man out. 

A CB, RB, TE WR will be added.

18 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I like it! My current RB I want is Chase Brown, he has the extra gear but sacrifices the break tackles that McIntosh has.  Center, I feel like there are a handful of guys I think can be an upgrade and am good with Tippmann if chosen.

Screenshot_20230418_190639_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230418_190656_Samsung Internet.jpg

Truth be told AB I was trying to figure out a way to fit both Twins in my mock. I like Chase but, i think Sydney will have the better pro career.

DT Pittsburgh
    OT North Dakota State
    EDGE Kansas State

CB Michigan

DT Baylor

WR Michigan State

EDGE Missouri

TE Miami (FL)

OC Penn State

QB Louisville

S California