2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

24 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Chicago Bears Sign OT,  Roy Mbaeteka

6-9 320 a international development signing from Nigeria. Was with the NYG last season at TC. He is very raw, but has the size and athleticism to work with.

put him at fullback! lol

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

More receiver than blocker, and I'm not so sure how good he is as a receiver/route runner.  He's been  around the Browns for a couple years so he's been working on his craft.  At this point we have little competition for the 3rd TE role so he has as good a chance as anyone.  

ty!

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Chicago Bears Sign OT,  Roy Mbaeteka

6-9 320 a international development signing from Nigeria. Was with the NYG last season at TC. He is very raw, but has the size and athleticism to work with.

Every team gets to have a free roster spot for having an African born prospect on their team. 

It's some kind of NFL program . Actually we have Eisien, he was born in South Africa.

I'm a bit turned off on the Swift Sports Network. Some of his stuff is just too over the top. He still puts a lot of info out there, some of it interesting.

He mentioned an UDFA, D'Anthony Jones we signed. Showed some tape and scouting reports. He had some interesting stats as an edge rusher. Swifty says he had the highest grade of any pass rusher in the draft? Also led the nation with nine forced fumbles over the past 2 years.

Could be a total bust and an early cut. OR, maybe this is one of those UDFA that is a keeper?

7 hours ago, Pixote said:

I'm a bit turned off on the Swift Sports Network. Some of his stuff is just too over the top. He still puts a lot of info out there, some of it interesting.

He mentioned an UDFA, D'Anthony Jones we signed. Showed some tape and scouting reports. He had some interesting stats as an edge rusher. Swifty says he had the highest grade of any pass rusher in the draft? Also led the nation with nine forced fumbles over the past 2 years.

Could be a total bust and an early cut. OR, maybe this is one of those UDFA that is a keeper?

Actually he said PFF had the highest grade as a pass rusher. He has an optimistic view on everything bears. Don't mind that at all. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Actually he said PFF had the highest grade as a pass rusher. He has an optimistic view on everything bears. Don't mind that at all. 

I tried to verify this. It IS true he led the NCAA in forced fumbles last year with 5, and had 4 more the year before.

And I did find another page that had him as EDGE #1 ranking, but I didnt pay the extra $ for PFF to see it firsthand.

I did however see PFFs top 15 Edge players list for the draft, and he wasnt on it.

He looks good in the little film Ive seen - love to take flyers on guys like these, but if he had the pedigree he says, he'd have been drafted. Deosnt matter now, he will prove it (or not) on the field. If he's got it, this team needs it and wont overlook it.

And maybe this is another example of PFF grades being ridiculous?

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I tried to verify this. It IS true he led the NCAA in forced fumbles last year with 5, and had 4 more the year before.

And I did find another page that had him as EDGE #1 ranking, but I didnt pay the extra $ for PFF to see it firsthand.

I did however see PFFs top 15 Edge players list for the draft, and he wasnt on it.

He looks good in the little film Ive seen - love to take flyers on guys like these, but if he had the pedigree he says, he'd have been drafted. Deosnt matter now, he will prove it (or not) on the field. If he's got it, this team needs it and wont overlook it.

And maybe this is another example of PFF grades being ridiculous?

PFF Grades are always ridiculous for OLine, and most of the defense. Once there are not enough tangible stats to correlate with, their grades go out the window. I only use them when it supports my position :)

This is from his Houston player page, so I would assume it is legit, see bold:

As a Senior (2022)

• First-Team All-American Athletic Conference
  • Dave Campbell's Texas Football First-Team All-Texas
  • Pro Football Focus (PFF) All-American Athletic Conference
  • Appeared in all 13 games alongside seven starts on defensive line (543 snaps played)
  • Tied for national lead in forced fumbles (5)
  • Fourth in The American in sacks (8.0)
  • Nation's top pass rush grade among edge defenders (93.1) per PFF
  • Second-highest graded edge defender overall (91.4) by PFF
  • Fourth in The American with 13.5 tackles for loss
  • Capped season with sacks in five straight games
  • Seven tackles for loss in his final five games
  • Became 17th Cougar all-time with two-or-more forced fumbles in a game, doing so against Rice (Sept. 24)

This verifies that PFF is just something to use for comparison and isnt what it projects to be. The highest graded PFF edge didnt get drafted. Literally had to have a tryout, was not a first tier signed UDFA. Now he may turn out to be a big sleeper but you cant put a lot of stock in PFF. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

PFF Grades are always ridiculous for OLine, and most of the defense. Once there are not enough tangible stats to correlate with, their grades go out the window. I only use them when it supports my position :)

lol

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:44 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If the Bears feel like they need another TE, Mercedes Lewis could be in play with his familiarity with Getsy.  He is up there in age, but Kmet, Tonyan, and Lewis would be a nice set until they can address the position in the draft. 

Looks like the Bears were thinking along the same lines.  

I will say this will be the same reason ESB makes the team over Pettis.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Looks like the Bears were thinking along the same lines.  

I will say this will be the same reason ESB makes the team over Pettis.

Good one, I never really thought about him, but he is a premier blocking TE.

4 hours ago, adam said:

Good one, I never really thought about him, but he is a premier blocking TE.

When GB needs to run the ball, they do it well.  I am good bringing him in to be a vet to help Kmet elevate his game with his vetern knowledge.  St Brown is also a premier blocking WR and have the same presence since I see the Bears having another strong year rushing. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Tomorrow the waiver wire is ours to cherry pick.  Any players you like or thoughts?

Couple of names I seen.

Colt McCoy QB - vet QB for Fields?

Sheldon Rankins 3T

Desmond King CB

Unfortunately those guys are vested vets and were released (contracts terminated) not waived. They are FAs and exempt from the waiver wire. They can sign with whoever they want.

Was Sheldon Rankins cut/released? I didn't see that.

52 minutes ago, adam said:

Unfortunately those guys are vested vets and were released (contracts terminated) not waived. They are FAs and exempt from the waiver wire. They can sign with whoever they want.

Was Sheldon Rankins cut/released? I didn't see that.

Danny Shelton DT KC- oops 😬 

Not sure how I came up with Sheldon Rankins.  

QB Bailey Zappe might be another dinner to tinker.

On 8/29/2023 at 5:06 PM, Mongo3451 said:

The cards cutting McCoy should be investigated by the NFL.  The Cardinals are blatantly tanking.  Place your money on the under for them.

They want to be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, they've had enough of that angry dwarf.

• adam unpinned this topic