The Bears Big Board

ASHKUM BEAR

Bears need a homerun blue chip star, so who do you love?

What does your big board look like?

+   Will Anderson. DE

A. Jalen Carter DT

B. Tyree Wilson DE

C. Paris Johnson OT

D.  Lukas Van Ness DE

E. Peter Skoronski OT

F. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR

G. Broderick Jones OT

HI! Witherspoon. Or Gonzalez CB

J. Bijan Robinson RB

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

dont forget Will Anderson! We will never get him, but he should be on our list, as it will eat up a pick before us.

He was not forgotten.  I figured there was no way he drops to 9.   I can add him but the only chance he drops is if he does something very stupid that we would then have to question the risk.

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Bears need a homerun blue chip star, so who do you love?

What does your big board look like?

+   Will Anderson. DE

A. Jalen Carter DT

B. Tyree Wilson DE

C. Paris Johnson OT

D.  Lukas Van Ness DE

E. Peter Skoronski OT

F. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR

G. Broderick Jones OT

HI! Witherspoon. Or Gonzalez CB

J. Bijan Robinson RB

If Jalen Carter drops, they're taking him. The best talent in the draft. The interview will sort of the mental aspect of the prospect but don't think that will be a problem. He'll I'll be happy with anyone on that list.

31 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If Jalen Carter drops, they're taking him. The best talent in the draft. The interview will sort of the mental aspect of the prospect but don't think that will be a problem. He'll I'll be happy with anyone on that list.

I'm so torn. They guy is a physical beast, and getting him at #3 would be a steal no less at #9. And I don't care one bit about his police adventures.

But I am very concerned about reports that his heart wasnt in the game, and his lack of performance given his incredible talent. And that report was before the accident. And then he showed up fat and out of breath to his limited pro day. That's my concern. Not his talent, and not the racing thing. I worry he's not gonna fulfill his potential. And I see other very talented linemen who have enormous upsides too, and think they might be better picks.

I am thinking it will look like this at 9 with 4 QBs gone, Anderson, Wilson, and one of the CBs gone. Obviously Anderson, Wilson are 1-2, then I think it will go in this order for the Bears:

A. Jalen Carter DT - This one is still up to debate for me, but I think someone will take him before 9.

B. Paris Johnson OT - Seems to be the consensus #1 OL now

C. Broderick Jones OT - Some are saying he would be a better fit for the Bears?

D. Peter Skoronski OT - Best tape, but them arms. No shame sliding him in to G if he is that good.

E. Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Porter Jr CB - The only way this occurs is if only 2 QBs go in the top 8 (not happening).

F. Murphy/Van Ness Edge

F. Johnston/Smith-Njigba WR

Anderson, Wilson, Stroud, and Young are definitely gone before 9. That leaves Levis and Richardson and the list above for 4 slots before the Bears. If 2 go to the QBs, that means only 2 players from A-E will be off the list when the Bears pick. I doubt they ever get past Skoronski on the list. So it will ultimately come down to the best available of these 4:

A. Jalen Carter DT - This one is still up to debate for me, but I think someone will take him before 9.

D. Peter Skoronski OT - Best tape, but them arms. No shame sliding him in to G if he is that good.

My opinion, if they take him that means the interview went well, if not they won't pick him. I trust them to figure it out. Definitely not taking him if head ain't on straight. 

We trade the first pick and then get the best player in the draft. That would be the luck Poles seems to have now.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I am thinking it will look like this at 9 with 4 QBs gone, Anderson, Wilson, and one of the CBs gone. Obviously Anderson, Wilson are 1-2, then I think it will go in this order for the Bears:

E. Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Porter Jr CB - The only way this occurs is if only 2 QBs go in the top 8 (not happening).

F. Murphy/Van Ness Edge

F. Johnston/Smith-Njigba WR

Anderson, Wilson, Stroud, and Young are definitely gone before 9. That leaves Levis and Richardson and the list above for 4 slots before the Bears. If 2 go to the QBs, that means only 2 players from A-E will be off the list when the Bears pick. I doubt they ever get past Skoronski on the list. So it will ultimately come down to the best available of these 4:

D. Peter Skoronski OT - Best tape, but them arms. No shame sliding him in to G if he is that 

It will come down to the 3 OTs.   

Our wildcards are if we take a generational RB or get Fields JSN.

Carter imo goes 6 to Detroit or Vegas.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I totally don't believe, 9 is a RB but I never guess anything right and Poles is capable of surprises.

I would hope we don't go RB, but this kid is one of those once every 5 to 10 year type talents.   He would make the offense much better. 

Center could be addressed in this draft. Poles went and watched Juice  Scruggs from Penn State. There are 10 prospects at OC this year that could become long term starters. Most people bring up JMS and Wypler but several could be day 3 picks. O!u Oluwatimi and Joe Tillman could land there.

If you look at profiles and production, several are similar to Doug Kramer already on our roster.  I think we are over looking him as a possible long term solution. O O , Wypler, Scruggs, and Stromberg are all his size. If we take one, it will be from 4 th round and down. 

12 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It will come down to the 3 OTs.   

Our wildcards are if we take a generational RB or get Fields JSN.

Carter imo goes 6 to Detroit or Vegas.

The only thing making me pause on taking an OT at 9 is Braxton Jones. You don’t (usually) take a RT with a top ten pick. So if you think Braxton is the guy at LT, do you still draft an OT at that spot? Do you play your 9 pick at LT and move Braxton? Do you draft the OT anyway knowing he can be a great RT and also a back up plan in case Braxton doesn’t work out? Or just go a different direction at 9 and get a straight RT later? Lots to think about . . .

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

The only thing making me pause on taking an OT at 9 is Braxton Jones. You don’t (usually) take a RT with a top ten pick. So if you think Braxton is the guy at LT, do you still draft an OT at that spot? Do you play your 9 pick at LT and move Braxton? Do you draft the OT anyway knowing he can be a great RT and also a back up plan in case Braxton doesn’t work out? Or just go a different direction at 9 and get a straight RT later? Lots to think about . . .

Actually I agree with you, if we go DL with the first pick, he has some options in rounds 2 and 3 that could still be a day one starter and use the 9 pick on a stud edge rusher. 

I got a feeling at 9 ( barring a Jalen Carter drop) we trade back and still end up with Lucas Van Ness at 12-16 picks with another 3 rd rounder to pick with. Tip OL and WRs will be available there that a team wants badly. Even Levis could still be there that would net more.

7 hours ago, dawhizz said:

That is a good point, and this will all come down to how they see Jones. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

That is a good point, and this will all come down to how they see Jones. Do you draft the OT anyway knowing he can be a great RT and also a back up plan in case Braxton doesn’t work out?

100% that would be my plan.  In this league most teams are moving their top edge rusher across the formation anyway.  We moved Mack around, Nick Bosa moves, and if I were smarter I'm sure I could list a few more.  There is no issue having two good OTs blocking for Justin and I'm not one to get caught up in value of the LT/RT position in this sense.  The Eagles did this a long time ago with Lane Johnson at 4th overall and 10 years later are still glad they did.    

If you haven't seen it Greg Gabriel shared his thoughts on the top two OTs.  I agree with his overall assessment on Broderick having the higher ceiling and he looked more impressive at the combine especially with his strength.  That floor for Jones concerns me and why I prefer PJJr.  Both are really young as true Juniors in college so their best years are easily ahead of them.   If the team has them ranked closely BroJones could be the target for them making a small trade back say with Tenn.   I'd propose we swap 2nd Rd picks for that moving us from 53 to 41 so we end up with 11, 41.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/3/24/23654337/nfl-draft-2023-chicago-bears-breaking-down-tackle-paris-johnson-broderick-jones-georgia-ohio-state

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If you haven't seen it Greg Gabriel shared his thoughts on the top two OTs.  I agree with his overall assessment on Broderick having the higher ceiling and he looked more impressive at the combine especially with his strength.  That floor for Jones concerns me and why I prefer PJJr.  Both are really young as true Juniors in college so their best years are easily ahead of them.   If the team has them ranked closely BroJones could be the target for them making a small trade back say with Tenn.   I'd propose we swap 2nd Rd picks for that moving us from 53 to 41 so we end up with 11, 41.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/3/24/23654337/nfl-draft-2023-chicago-bears-breaking-down-tackle-paris-johnson-broderick-jones-georgia-ohio-state

Good article, I enjoy Gabriels insight.  Paris is more NFL ready but Broderick maybe has more upside and more so on the LT.   

I've been waiting my whole life for the Bears to draft and maintain a great oline.  I will trust Poles does the best thing for the team. 

Other than QB, Poles says there are 7 blue chip players . If we move back from 9 , who could fall we could still get? 

Carter and Anderson will be gone. That leaves 5. 

Wilson, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, B. Robinson, Skoronski ? 

Using Dane Blugers top 100, Van Ness and Paris Johnson are next? 

Is Paris Johnson the pick?

Or a trade back, and Broderick Jones? He's ranked 15 th.

Van Ness and Nolan Smith are the edge players on his list on the DL.

Levis and Richardson are ranked 13 th and 14 th but will go ahead which causes someone to drop.

Doubt we take B Robinson, but maybe a CB as best player available. 

Im calling Paris Johnson or Van Ness.

I have always dismissed Nolan Smith because he clearly is an outside edge LB. Don't think he fits our scheme. Am I wrong about that? I always saw Murphy as one of the Prime DL, he seems to be ranked in the teens now. Did I miss something?  Injuries? Bad interviews? 

26 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's a good guess.  The only other ones I see in there would be Nolan Smith and Miles Murphy.

I think you guys are right - one of these four - or a trade down, and maybe still one of them :)

Or some of the other Edge Rushers.

Yeah, I think it will be Wilson (if he is there, but highly doubtful), Johnson Jr, Jones, or Van Ness. Nolan Smith wouldn't shock me either. If all 4 of these guys are still on the board at 9, I would love a trade down to 11 or 12, net an early 3rd rounder and still get one of those 4 would be epic masterclass by Poles. Then you would be looking at 5 picks in the top 75 and 6 within the top 103.

The wild cards are going to be the top 2 CBs. If one of them is there at 9. For me, that would be a tough sell after going DB, DB in the first two picks last year.  The D-Line is BAD right now, and based off some articles, Walker is more of a 3T than a DE, so Edge is bare right now. 

Going off last year's opening day roster, the biggest weaknesses on the team are at RT (Borom), DE (Gipson), DE (Robinson), CB (Vildor), and DT(Jones). Individually, which player is the worst of the bunch? I almost have to say Vildor, no? Going off PFF grades, Borom is the best, followed by Vildor. Gipson, Robinson, and Jones were terrible (in the 40s for PFF grades.