The Bears Big Board

ASHKUM BEAR

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I agree, Personally I like D Wright. However, there is a ton of talk about Poles drafting Peter Skoronski. Do any of you guys think he would be a right tackle option in the NFL or will his arm length limit him? He's supposed to be the ultimate technician. Would that enable him to be the exception to the rule when it comes to arm length for offensive tackles or is he destined to be an OG?

I'd go to war with Skor.  His feet as elite.  He can play all five positions.  Paris Johnson has the most upside.  He came out as true junior and didn't pay the covid season.  I'd love either.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like Skoronski. His feet ARE elite, but he isnt as physical as Id like him to be. I know this is contrary to the current narrative, but that doesnt make me wrong, it just makes me an outlier. There have been many highly touted OL who shot up the draft and were busts. Some very famous names. And of course there are lots of highly touted OLs that turned out to be great too.

I posted some all 22 film a while back that really changed my mind on him.

It's a sports talk situation, so its OK to disagree, and even to hold outlier positions. Time will show of course.

If he's there on the board when we pick, Poles' choice will tell part of the story, and of course his performance over the next couple of years in the league will tell the rest, and we will see.

22 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont like Skoronski. His feet ARE elite, but he isnt as physical as Id like him to be. I know this is contrary to the current narrative, but that doesnt make me wrong, it just makes me an outlier. There have been many highly touted OL who shot up the draft and were busts. Some very famous names. And of course there are lots of highly touted OLs that turned out to be great too.

Yeah, I kinda of ripped into to you on that.  My bad.  While I still disagree on that issue, I'll never doubt your football IQ.  Cheers my friend!...🍻🍻🍻

27 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yeah, I kinda of ripped into to you on that.  My bad.  While I still disagree on that issue, I'll never doubt your football IQ.  Cheers my friend!...🍻🍻🍻

dude thats very kind - thank you!

And I totally respect you and your knowledge as an OL too - I wonder if you ever got to look at that film, and what you might think of it.

I see highlight reels that look amazing, but when i watched that all 22 rep after rep, I thought I saw something different, and I honestly would be interested in your opinion, if you saw it?

let me add this:

A lot of times my contrary views (like early on Leno Jr) come from a channel called "The Tape Never Lies" - and first off I gotta admit they are obnoxious as hell. You gotta forward through like 15 minutes of replays and hype and BS to get to the meat. They are bull headed and egotistical and generally unpleasant.

BUT, they do film analysis (I just skip ahead until I see all 22 on the screen lol) and I really like the way they see things. And rather than taking their opinion, i see the film myself and I can evaluate whether i agree with what they are saying or not.

I highly recommend the channel for good info, and i highly recommend skipping past all the self serving crap they put before the film too LOL

Skip ahead to 11:45 to see their analysis on Skoronski?

I would consider myself an untrained eye because I never played football but, it seems Skoronski lets the defenders get into his space quickly and doesn't use power at the point of attack and more finesse. The arm length may truly be the reason because he doesn't look like he has his arms extended when engaged with a defender. 

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Skip ahead to 11:45 to see their analysis on Skoronski?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those guys.  I was out of there when they criticized him on the long TD run.  He pulled and sealed, which most LT's cannot, then got knocked down when second defender tried to get through.  Result TD.  He is not a mauler and I know we all love the Jenkins and Long mentality, but does get the job done on a consistent basis.  When he does get beat, he's still in the play, which is not a Leno trait.  Giving up 5 sacks in 1700 snaps is a stat worth noting.  Picking up blitzes and switching is where our OL failed last year and that is his strong suit.  Paris Johnson still has more boom bust factor.  Skor is what folks call a safe choice.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those guys.  I was out of there when they criticized him on the long TD run.  He pulled and sealed, which most LT's cannot, then got knocked down when second defender tried to get through.  Result TD.  He is not a mauler and I know we all love the Jenkins and Long mentality, but does get the job done on a consistent basis.  When he does get beat, he's still in the play, which is not a Leno trait.  Giving up 5 sacks in 1700 snaps is a stat worth noting.  Picking up blitzes and switching is where our OL failed last year and that is his strong suit.  Paris Johnson still has more boom bust factor.  Skor is what folks call a safe choice.

I dont disagree at all. His body position is always excellent, and he gets the job done. He is not a mauler, but more of a catcher. And Im not comparing him to Leno at ALL, only that that's where I first found these guys.

And I admit they are obnoxious, but they have more film than anywhere else I can find.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Found this draft interesting. A 7 round mock with the writer, Bears Insider Josh Shrock from NBC Sports, giving his take on what he would do if he were Poles. Love D Wright in a rd 1 trade down.

Schrock's Bears Mock Draft 7.0: Can Poles check every box?

Like that draft a lot,  concentrated on the trenches  and the RB is a real sleeper.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Like that draft a lot,  concentrated on the trenches  and the RB is a real sleeper.

I'm 100% on board the Darnell Wright train.  I'd take Benton over Foskey in a heartbeat at 53.   Zero chance I want to see Joe Tippyman falling over at Center in a Bears uniform.  I'm not sure how he could even consider him at 53.   

We have edge help but the interior Dline remains a big concern.  Anyway, Schrock comes right back and grabs Derek Hall, who I like more than Foskey.  After that I like his picks.  

10 hours ago, lemonej said:

I would consider myself an untrained eye because I never played football but, it seems Skoronski lets the defenders get into his space quickly and doesn't use power at the point of attack and more finesse. The arm length may truly be the reason because he doesn't look like he has his arms extended when engaged with a defender. 

That's what I see too. He puts himself in excellent position, but doesn't deliver the blow. It's possible that's the coaching at Northwestern, but I want someone who moves people, and not just someone who basically pass blocks, even on running plays.

And also, if you're going to be an "absorb energy" style blocker, he has to get his butt down, because I see him bent back too often. I worry that the pros will be able to defeat his style.

Darnell Wright, on the other hand (and on the other side lol) not only moves people, but he shut down the top pass rushers in this years draft. Id be a lot more comfortable with a guy like that as the pick.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

That's what I see too. He puts himself in excellent position, but doesn't deliver the blow. It's possible that's the coaching at Northwestern, but I want someone who moves people, and not just someone who basically pass blocks, even on running plays.

And also, if you're going to be an "absorb energy" style blocker, he has to get his butt down, because I see him bent back too often. I worry that the pros will be able to defeat his style.

Darnell Wright, on the other hand (and on the other side lol) not only moves people, but he shut down the top pass rushers in this years draft. Id be a lot more comfortable with a guy like that as the pick.

Agreed, let's get nasty in the run game with Davis and Wright coming at defenses on the right side.   Braxton Jones is already a pretty good run blocker and now alongside Jenkins we look good run blocking across the line.  I'm still not sure what to think about Whitehair at Center but he's an upgrade over Mustipher.  

Pass protection would be an upgrade at RT as well.  Wright might struggle a bit with elite speed off the edge but he redirects back inside better than Broderick Jones.  

51 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Agreed, let's get nasty in the run game with Davis and Wright coming at defenses on the right side.   Braxton Jones is already a pretty good run blocker and now alongside Jenkins we look good run blocking across the line.  I'm still not sure what to think about Whitehair at Center but he's an upgrade over Mustipher.  

Pass protection would be an upgrade at RT as well.  Wright might struggle a bit with elite speed off the edge but he redirects back inside better than Broderick Jones.  

That's where I'm at too. A nasty right side like that would (will) be amazing to see. I also think that we'll end up with someone other than Whitehair at Center. There are lots of options out there with our second round picks, and lower if we have a sleeper.

Also, I'm not sure Wright does struggle with speed. He certainly handled Anderson, who said Wright was the toughest opponent he faced in college. That's good enough for me. I sure hope he's there for us. A trade down and to still get him would be great, but if hes there, and we trade down and miss him, that's gonna be a big black mark against Poles in my opinion.

I mean, assuming he takes another OT, and not a 3T or something, where he might make the case he wasnt taking an OT anyway.

29 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Im not wure Wright does struggle with speed. He certainly handled Anderson, who said Wright was the toughest opponent he faced in college. That's good enough for me. I sure hope he's there for us. A trade dow and to still get him would be great, but if hes there, and we trade down and miss him, that's gonna be a big black mark against Poles in my opinion.

I mean, assuming he takes another OT, and not a 3T or something, where he might make the case he wasnt taking an OT anyway.

I only said "a bit" and you are correct there are plenty of examples wherer he handles speed.  One concern with the Anderson game is that he was lined up either inside or straight up on Wright and wasn't often coming off the edge.  That's just the way Alabama often used Anderson this past season.  

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I only said "a bit" and you are correct there are plenty of examples wherer he handles speed.  One concern with the Anderson game is that he was lined up either inside or straight up on Wright and wasn't often coming off the edge.  That's just the way Alabama often used Anderson this past season.  

Makes sense.

He is an extra fast athlete with a huge frame, so there's that. But being fast and handling speed are two different things i agree.

Also, in looking at tape today, I sure wouldnt mind Cody Mauch at Center.

Think what this line would look like:

Jones - Jenkins - Mauch - Davis - Wright

Scary.

If we can get Wright, Mauch and a legit starting 3T out of this draft, that would be a homerun. And there'd still be room to add a pass rusher, CB, RB, or whatever else you like to that too.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Scary.

If we can get Wright, Mauch and a legit starting 3T out of this draft, that would be a homerun. And there'd still be room to add a pass rusher, CB, RB, or whatever else you like to that too.

Yes I'd be very happy with that Oline.   A 2nd Rd 3-tech won't be elite but should be more productive than anyone we had last year.  We can add to that next year.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Yes I'd be very happy with that Oline.   A 2nd Rd 3-tech won't be elite but should be more productive than anyone we had last year.  We can add to that next year.  

I want everything now, but yes.

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Scary.

I'm buying all of that, that's exactly what I want to happen

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm buying all of that, that's exactly what I want to happen

Its hard to say. We could trade down and get a better 3T and a lesser OT, but it sure wouldn't be Wright's level.

I would love to see this OL, but we are gonna be complaining all year about the lack of pass rush. But maybe that's what's got to happen to get to where we are headed in 2024

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Its hard to say. We could trade down and get a better 3T and a lesser OT, but it sure wouldn't be Wright's level.

I would love to see this OL, but we are gonna be complaining all year about the lack of pass rush. But maybe that's what's got to happen to get to where we are headed in 2024

Everything will not happen in this draft, as you suggest, Poles already told us that. Do your scenario and get a vet edge for a year. Problem solved.

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Everything will not happen in this draft, as you suggest, Poles already told us that. Do your scenario and get a vet edge for a year. Problem solved.

it would be the best Bears OL since the 85 Bears

I do see us signing vet DL after the draft for sure, but I dunno if it will be problem solved. but its probably the way to go.

2024 is the real target, and solving problems for the long term is better than trying to field the best possible team this year with 75%ers

11 hours ago, Pixote said:

Found this draft interesting. A 7 round mock with the writer, Bears Insider Josh Shrock from NBC Sports, giving his take on what he would do if he were Poles. Love D Wright in a rd 1 trade down.

Schrock's Bears Mock Draft 7.0: Can Poles check every box?

I traded down in my mock to get Wright. I would love this draft but I would pick a QB late (6th or 7th round) - someone like Max Duggan.

Peace