The Bears Big Board

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Pixote said:

If Bryce Baringer, P, Michigan State is still available in the 7th I'd love to see them draft him. The guy has one hell of a leg. Can't say I'm impressed with our current two punters on our roster.

Disagree, I thought Gill looked good last year. Third best on franchise history in punting average as a rookie, only one punt blocked, pretty good at pinning teams deep. No way Poles bails on him after one season. 

36 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Disagree, I thought Gill looked good last year. Third best on franchise history in punting average as a rookie, only one punt blocked, pretty good at pinning teams deep. No way Poles bails on him after one season. 

Then we saw different punters line up for the Bears. I just checked the stats:

46.0 Average (ranked 23rd) with 40.9 Net Average (ranked 24th)

Also ranked 23rd for inside the 20.

Fine, 3rd best as rookie for Bears, but I assume our past rookie punters sucked. LOL

I cant speak to Punter per se, but just because we have a young player at a position from last year doesnt mean we wouldnt draft another rookie at the same position if we thought they were gonna be better, and this is especially true for picks after the 2nd round.

I think we were in such dire condition last year, that we were plugging holes, and some of those guys could be replaced, even if they played well. Anything is possible this year.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I cant speak to Punter per se, but just because we have a young player at a position from last year doesnt mean we wouldnt draft another rookie at the same position if we thought they were gonna be better, and this is especially true for picks after the 2nd round.

I think we were in such dire condition last year, that we were plugging holes, and some of those guys could be replaced, even if they played well. Anything is possible this year.

Cunningham did a pre-draft interview, good stuff.  The Bears will go bpa day 1 and 2, but target needs more day 3.   He I'd like to listen to it completely but heard only some highlights. He did say Bijan and Jalen are worthy of top 10.  So he left some bait for teams coveting them.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Cunningham did a pre-draft interview, good stuff.  The Bears will go bpa day 1 and 2, but target needs more day 3.   He I'd like to listen to it completely but heard only some highlights. He did say Bijan and Jalen are worthy of top 10.  So he left some bait for teams coveting them.

I saw it too - I thought he tried, but hearing how carefully he chose his words, I think Carter is not on our board. Youre right, he wants someone to trade up for him if he's there.

And everyone always says they are going BPA, and they do try, but position does come into it. For example, if Bryce Young falls, we are not taking him :) But there are enough needs that we could be flexible depending on who falls at OT, DT, DE, CB, WR, RB with possible surprises as well. I mean in the first and second round too.

5 hours ago, Pixote said:

If Bryce Baringer, P, Michigan State is still available in the 7th I'd love to see them draft him. The guy has one hell of a leg. Can't say I'm impressed with our current two punters on our roster.

As I know you're a fan of Swift Sports  he made a great point that the punter we just signed kicks with his left leg.  He did some research and it appears Velus' drops last year were mostly from left leg kickers.  Velus aside, it can't hurt to have that for all the punt returners.   

48 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

As I know you're a fan of Swift Sports  he made a great point that the punter we just signed kicks with his left leg.  He did some research and it appears Velus' drops last year were mostly from left leg kickers.  Velus aside, it can't hurt to have that for all the punt returners.   

oh thats an interesting tidbit. good coaching!

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I saw it too - I thought he tried, but hearing how carefully he chose his words, I think Carter is not on our board. Youre right, he wants someone to trade up for him if he's there.

And everyone always says they are going BPA, and they do try, but position does come into it. For example, if Bryce Young falls, we are not taking him :) But there are enough needs that we could be flexible depending on who falls at OT, DT, DE, CB, WR, RB with possible surprises as well. I mean in the first and second round too.

I think they want Wright, but not at 9.  They want a team to move up for one of them if there.  I think the eagles can give more based on how close they are.   I hope we don't go CB to be honest with Gordan, Johnson, Brisker. And Jackson. I know they need another but the Bears need linemen on both sides 

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think they want Wright, but not at 9.  They want a team to move up for one of them if there.  I think the eagles can give more based on how close they are.   I hope we don't go CB to be honest with Gordan, Johnson, Brisker. And Jackson. I know they need another but the Bears need linemen on both sides 

I don't think Wright will slide anymore. The secret is out on him. I personally don't think hes there at, say, 15.

5 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I thought the punter we signed was a NYG, and Velus muffed one at that game. But he wasn't the punter.  Getting him different looks is what he needs 

yeah, it's really smart detail oriented coaching.

8 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I don't think Wright will slide anymore. The secret is out on him. I personally don't think hes there at, say, 15.

His value is purely RT.  That is need A or B for the Bears so I can see them selecting him based on need.  I feel he should be slotted 12-17, so they could reach a little.  Poles didn't offer McGlinchey SF money because he knows he could get an equal player in the draft at a much better price.

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

His value is purely RT.  That is need A or B for the Bears so I can see them selecting him based on need.  I feel he should be slotted 12-17, so they could reach a little.  Poles didn't offer McGlinchey SF money because he knows he could get an equal player in the draft at a much better price.

I agree about McGlinchey, I just think the secret is out on Wright, and he wont last that long. i think the reason no one is talking so much about him is they all want to snag him.

I think the new noise that the Bears are all in on PJJ is smoke.

I do trust Poles to play this poker game though, and that's more than i can say for any Bears GM since the 80s.

I cant wait. It's like Christmas eve.

The thing with Wright is that he's mostly viewed just as a RT.   I think our need is purely RT, meaning I'm not interested in moving Braxton Jones to the other side.  We might draft Wright at 9 and if he's the pick I'm ok with that, but I'd also be ok with PJJ or even Broderick Jones.  I think the OT talent is balanced enough that a team might as well wait and see which OT is available at their pick.  

If we trade down my bet is on a team moving up for a QB.  That could be any of the Titans @ 11, Texans @ 12, Patriots @ 14, or Wash @ 16.   Eagles do not need an OT, Tenn does but more likely lean toward LT, Texans do not need OT.  Seems like a sweet spot where we could trade back 2 to 3 spots, grab one more pick, and likely still have our OT target on the board.   

Traditional trade value says that'd be 150pts or late 3rd Rd pick but as we know if it's for a QB that price goes up so we could end up with either 73 from HOU (225pts) or 72 from TENN (230pts).    I would be over the moon if we had 11, 53, 61, 64, 72, and then 103.    I wouldn't mind if Poles had someone he really wanted in the 1st Rd and he paired up two of those Day 2 picks to go get him.   Then we'd walk out of this draft with 3 first round talents:  DJ Moore, OT (presumably), 3-tech or edge.   

AZ54, I agree with your analysis as far as draft value is concerned. There are multiple OTs, each of similar value. But each has a different personality, and I have personally fallen in draft love with Wright. I love the violence, and i want that on our OL, so for me I dont view them equally, but youre right they are considered to be ranked similarly.

I just really want us to be feared in the run game if we go OT in the first.

15 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

If Will Anderson slides to 5, wanna move up to get him? I know it puts other things on hold, but damn it would pay off for many years.

Nah  if that happens someone else is sliding   let it play out  

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

If Will Anderson slides to 5, wanna move up to get him? I know it puts other things on hold, but damn it would pay off for many years.

I don't see Poles giving up draft capital. He moved from one to add where he could have added Anderson.  A 9 to 5 move would eliminate most of what he picked up. In the second,  if he could move a few spots to get something maybe but I think he pretty admitted to accepted a group of players and not focus on one.

according to the Hill draft value chart, it would be a perfect fit to give our 3rd round pick to move from 9 to 5.

If that's all it takes to get Anderson, I'm all in.

I'm not saying this is realistic, but Id do it in a heartbeat if it was on the table.

But it wont be because Seattle wouldnt give him up.

37 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

according to the Hill draft value chart, it would be a perfect fit to give our 3rd round pick to move from 9 to 5.

If that's all it takes to get Anderson, I'm all in.

I'm not saying this is realistic, but Id do it in a heartbeat if it was on the table.

But it wont be because Seattle wouldnt give him up.

Actually, if that's all it would take, I would but moving around in the top 10 probably going to cost more than that.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Actually, if that's all it would take, I would but moving around in the top 10 probably going to cost more than that.

for the same reason adding our 3rd rounder for Anderson is a no brainer, refusing the trade is a no brainer for Seattle LOL

Anderson is a stud, and if we could get him, we should, and I'm sure Seattle feels the same way!

So yes, you're 100% right, but damn I'd like to see him in a Bears uniform. If it took more to get him but we could still swing it, Id be all ears.