My Greatest Wish Draft...

Mongo3451

For my entire life the Chicago Bears have been portrayed as blue collar, hard nosed, black and blue, great defense and great running game.  It hasn't worked for over 30 years!  Time fix it, once and for all.  We have a chance to create the greatest offense we have ever had.  It all begins with my tag line from the old site, "IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT".  It's time!  We have an opportunity to draft the final two pieces to an OL that has been neglected for decades.  Those are decades of not developing a QB or winning a Superbowl.  I'm not saying who Poles should draft, he has multiple options at RT and C.  All I am asking is to get it done and do it with certainty.

Other than OL, I really want him to draft a young bell cow running back, a 3T(or two) and a "move" TE. 

I honestly don't care about them fixing the defense until they give Fields 100% of what he needs to succeed.  Fields succeeding will improve the defense greatly; more than a rookie DE ever could.  I'm tired of waiting and hoping.  I especially don't want to have all of the Trubisky talk about Fields. This IS the decision year on Fields, no debate.  Give me Skoronski or Johnson Jr at OT and Schmitz, Avila or Wypler at center and you'll never hear me complain about OL being neglected again.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

For my entire life the Chicago Bears have been portrayed as blue collar, hard nosed, black and blue, great defense and great running game.  It hasn't worked for over 30 years!  Time fix it, once and for all.  We have a chance to create the greatest offense we have ever had.  It all begins with my tag line from the old site, "IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT".  It's time!  We have an opportunity to draft the final two pieces to an OL that has been neglected for decades.  Those are decades of not developing a QB or winning a Superbowl.  I'm not saying who Poles should draft, he has multiple options at RT and C.  All I am asking is to get it done and do it with certainty.

Other than OL, I really want him to draft a young bell cow running back, a 3T(or two) and a "move" TE. 

I honestly don't care about them fixing the defense until they give Fields 100% of what he needs to succeed.  Fields succeeding will improve the defense greatly; more than a rookie DE ever could.  I'm tired of waiting and hoping.  I especially don't want to have all of the Trubisky talk about Fields. This IS the decision year on Fields, no debate.  Give me Skoronski or Johnson Jr at OT and Schmitz, Avila or Wypler at center and you'll never hear me complain about OL being neglected again.

Totally agree with everything you said! I always loved Bears' Defenses dominating games, pounding the opposition. However, it is time the Bears became a top offensive force in the league. Times change. It all starts with the offense. The offense needs a QB that can dominate. The QB cannot do that without weapons and a TOP TIER OFFENSIVE LINE.

If Fields is forced to run again to keep the offense alive, he will have a very short career.  Then we are back to rebuilding it all over again.  Get him the necessary pieces to succeed. Since we do not expect to compete this year for it all, give him the weapons to do it on his own.  If we lose because the defense, then we know it is an easy fix the following year.  

I'm good with this.  We can easily draft the RT/OC we need to setup the Oline for the next few years.  Just do it.  

As for the defense I think we can do two things: 

First:  Build a dline with focus on good run defense.  These players are easier to find and cheaper (see Billings).   While we won't have the elite talent in the front 4 to get splashy negative plays, doing this will help get us into more 3rd and long situations.   This also helps improve redzone defense since coverages tighten up and the DBs will have less concern with run defense.  

Second:  With the LBs we have we can add 1 good CB and have a good coverage unit.  This will lead to more coverage sacks.   We'll use some occasional pressure packages just to mix it up but unlike late last year don't rely on that because we don't want to give up big plays.  On 3rd and long rely on your coverage discipline and make them throw underneath and then rally to the ball.  

Net effect here it to get back to the bend but don't break style of defense.  Force them to make long drives without drive-killing mistakes or penalties.  Focus on the turnovers either forced fumbles and occasional picks to keep their scoring down.   If we have the Oline in place, and maybe add 1 WR or good move TE this draft, then we should be able to get a lot of teams thinking their offense has to keep up with ours.   

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think Poles has a plan. The off season last year had limitations, but he has assets this year. He got Justin some weapons now. Besides Claypool and Moore, he added a good option at TE. I expect to see growth with Velus Jones also. He's going to add another RB in the draft but think a healthy Herbert will make a big difference. Donte had   a 4.5 per carry average last year. He is capable of a lot of good things going forward. 

I don't think they will draft Robinson because it would have to be at 9. Totally believe 9 will address the OT spot with a blue chip player. He knows what he needs to do  to finish the progress of the OL. I think he adds a OC in mid rounds and also a OG  late.  We need depth also. Ideally he could draft Cody Mauch that could man any spot on the OL and then Wanya Morris/OT that perfectly fits is traits. 

There are several middle round prospects at center. Olu O, Stromberg, Joe Tippmann, Scruggs. 

He can fix the OL and stall add to the DL

My current (semi-realistic) wish list:

9 - Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

53 - Felix Anudike-Uzomah, DE, Kansas State

61 - Joe Tippmann, C, Wisconsin 

64 - Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami
103 - Byron Young, DT, Alabama
133 - Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State
136 - Ji’Ayir Brown, S, Penn State
148 - Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State
218 - Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA 
258 - Jake Witt, OT, Northern Michigan

5 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

My current (semi-realistic) wish list:

9 - Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

53 - Felix Anudike-Uzomah, DE, Kansas State

61 - Joe Tippmann, C, Wisconsin 

64 - Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami
103 - Byron Young, DT, Alabama
133 - Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State
136 - Ji’Ayir Brown, S, Penn State
148 - Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State
218 - Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA 
258 - Jake Witt, OT, Northern Michigan

I like it.  My preference would be to address RB and move TE in the 3rd.  I think Deuce is going to be a handful, but our offense hasn't evolved in able for him to succeed with us.

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm good with this.  We can easily draft the RT/OC we need to setup the Oline for the next few years.  Just do it.  

As for the defense I think we can do two things: 

First:  Build a dline with focus on good run defense.  These players are easier to find and cheaper (see Billings).   While we won't have the elite talent in the front 4 to get splashy negative plays, doing this will help get us into more 3rd and long situations.   This also helps improve redzone defense since coverages tighten up and the DBs will have less concern with run defense.  

Second:  With the LBs we have we can add 1 good CB and have a good coverage unit.  This will lead to more coverage sacks.   We'll use some occasional pressure packages just to mix it up but unlike late last year don't rely on that because we don't want to give up big plays.  On 3rd and long rely on your coverage discipline and make them throw underneath and then rally to the ball.  

Net effect here it to get back to the bend but don't break style of defense.  Force them to make long drives without drive-killing mistakes or penalties.  Focus on the turnovers either forced fumbles and occasional picks to keep their scoring down.   If we have the Oline in place, and maybe add 1 WR or good move TE this draft, then we should be able to get a lot of teams thinking their offense has to keep up with ours.   

Well done!

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Don't sleep on the 3T - we need one early.

I doubt we can sit at 53 and get the 3-tech we need.  If we go 3-tech in Rd 1, I doubt we can wait until 53 and get the OT we need. 

I'm good if Poles trades back in Rd 1 but it's just to get more ammunition for a move up in Rd 2.  I prefer RT in Rd 1 and then trade up for the 3-tech.  If the 3-tech is truly all-that for this defense then it is worth giving up 2 Second Rd picks, maybe even 3 if we have to add a late day 3 pick, to get the right player.  Inside pressure will force a QB to move out toward the average DEs we'll have.  Of course that will resonate to the coverage needing to worry for just the first 2s.  

If youre talking about a dominating LT, I can understand. But if we are gonna roll with Braxton Jones on the left side, then I think a 2nd round RT is going to be a more impactful player than a 2nd round 3T.

I can absolutely see us trading up for that RT, we have lots of picks to package. I can even see us sliding down a few more slots in the first to pick up that 3T, and adding that ammo to moving up for the RT.

But plenty of good OL have been found in the 2nd round and later in the draft over the years, but I dont think you can show me any stud 3Ts that went out of the first round. If we can put a player there with a top 10 pick, our defense is ready to rock. yes we will still need edge rushers, but in the Cover 2, you need a 3T to make it work.

I almost wonder if all this RT talk is smoke to protect a 3T pick.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

If youre talking about a dominating LT, I can understand. But if we are gonna roll with Braxton Jones on the left side, then I think a 2nd round RT is going to be a more impactful player than a 2nd round 3T.

I can absolutely see us trading up for that RT, we have lots of picks to package. I can even see us sliding down a few more slots in the first to pick up that 3T, and adding that ammo to moving up for the RT.

But plenty of good OL have been found in the 2nd round and later in the draft over the years, but I dont think you can show me any stud 3Ts that went out of the first round. If we can put a player there with a top 10 pick, our defense is ready to rock. yes we will still need edge rushers, but in the Cover 2, you need a 3T to make it work.

I almost wonder if all this RT talk is smoke to protect a 3T pick.

Poles recently said he will ask his boss before drafting Jalen Carter if he is there.  He might be blowing smoke about 3T's too.   

I know the 3T is the key to the Bears D, but the key to winning a Superbowl will be because of the QB.  If they pass on the top offensive tackles that can excel on either side LT/RT to take a lesser known prospect, lightning better strike twice, like with Brax Jones. 

I would love to see Poles/Flus 3T list. Most draftsites list 3Ts as DE or Edge players.  The list might be better than we know.

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Poles recently said he will ask his boss before drafting Jalen Carter if he is there.  He might be blowing smoke about 3T's too.   

I know the 3T is the key to the Bears D, but the key to winning a Superbowl will be because of the QB.  If they pass on the top offensive tackles that can excel on either side LT/RT to take a lesser known prospect, lightning better strike twice, like with Brax Jones. 

I would love to see Poles/Flus 3T list. Most draftsites list 3Ts as DE or Edge players.  The list might be better than we know.

I'm thinking Poles wants to possibly trade down a few slots and then take a 3T not named Jalen Carter. There are several names on that list that would work, but they'll all be gone by pick 15 or 20. I also wouldnt want to have to choose which of them is going to be great in the NFL, thankfully that's Poles' job.

But Poles could be looking 3T, and willing to entertain small trade ups for Carter if hes there too - so blowing smoke on a 3T and picking one are not mutually exclusive. I love this stuff, it's so complicated and crazy.

Anyway, I dont disagree about OL being important. I just think top 10 OL picks are usually stud LTs, and there are lots and lots of good O Linemen in the league, including RTs, that were 2nd round picks. I dont know any notable 3Ts that were taken in the 2nd though.

We are definitely going to need both. and there are probably picks for 4 starters from this draft. DT and OL will definitely be among them. But in what order?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm thinking Poles wants to possibly trade down a few slots and then take a 3T not named Jalen Carter. There are several names on that list that would work, but they'll all be gone by pick 15 or 20. I also wouldnt want to have to choose which of them is going to be great in the NFL, thankfully that's Poles' job.

But Poles could be looking 3T, and willing to entertain small trade ups for Carter if hes there too - so blowing smoke on a 3T and picking one are not mutually exclusive. I love this stuff, it's so complicated and crazy.

Anyway, I dont disagree about OL being important. I just think top 10 OL picks are usually stud LTs, and there are lots and lots of good O Linemen in the league, including RTs, that were 2nd round picks. I dont know any notable 3Ts that were taken in the 2nd though.

We are definitely going to need both. and there are probably picks for 4 starters from this draft. DT and OL will definitely be among them. But in what order?

Carter feels like the only potential world beater at 3T in this draft, but I feel like there are going to be names who can fill that role in rounds 2-4 that you can be pretty happy about without needing to trade into the lower 1st/early 2nd for someone like Bresee or Kancey (neither of whom I’m particularly sold on). Between the quick DTs like Pickens, Dexter, Ojomo, Turner, and Young and the bigger edges that can probably play the 3T inside like Tuli, Adebawore, Brooks, maybe Mike Morris, you should at least find someone who can split reps with Justin Jones and develop. 

I think the question is does Poles think he can get a good RT at 53 or does he have to take in at 9. 3 OTs  clearly stand out in the first tier: Skon, Johnson or Jones. All should be day one starters. 

At 53 ?   Cody Mauch-- Anton Harrison--Matthew Bergeron--Tyler Steen--Jaelyn Duncan. I think the # 1 priority is OL  but if one of these can be a Braxton Jones type his first year is that good enough. With Nate Davis next to him and  a TE helping , will that work?

A 3 T at 53?_  Keon White--Tuli Tuipulotu--A Adebaware--Zach Harrison--Zach Pickens--I figured Edge players that have the size and length. 

I used The Athletic top 100 for reference.

I think he trades back a few spots to get a earlier pick in the second round. Grabs Broderick Jones then gets a 3 T with his next pick.

Example: move from 9 to 15( Pittsburgh) give Pitt 53 and 61, we get 32 and 49.  Pittsburgh takes the best WR in the draft .

At 15 Broderick Jones or Lucas Van Ness.

At 32 Anton Harrison or A Adwbawore, we can fill both spots depending on our first pick. 

We still have 49 and 64 for edge , a center, or CB.

My dream draft

Trade 9 , 53, 61 to Pittsburgh for 15, 32, 49

15) Broderick Jones/ OT

32)  A Adwbawore/DT

49) Cody Mauch/OC-OG-OT

64) Keon White/edge

103) Jonathon Mingo/WR

133) Tyler Spears/RB

Trade 136 for 160 and 172

148) Mekhi Garner/CB

160) Payne Durham/TE

172) Jake Witt/OT

218) Marte Mapu/LB

257) Tanner Morgan/QB

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

My dream draft

Trade 9 , 53, 61 to Pittsburgh for 15, 32, 49

15) Broderick Jones/ OT

32)  A Adwbawore/DT

49) Cody Mauch/OC-OG-OT

64) Keon White/edge

103) Jonathon Mingo/WR

133) Tyler Spears/RB

Trade 136 for 160 and 172

148) Mekhi Garner/CB

160) Payne Durham/TE

172) Jake Witt/OT

218) Marte Mapu/LB

257) Tanner Morgan/QB

I might prefer a straight up C over Mauch, but otherwise I’d be pretty thrilled with this. 

Concur.

I'm so sick of saying it every year and reading Bears' fans talk about getting more WRs, TEs, and RBs every year. For once I want to see my idea tried. Then I'll forever say, "Well, at least they focused on OL for once."

It's time for the Bears to join the new-age NFL and do everything possible to invest in the offense, the QB, and whatever it takes to make #1 & #2 succeed. Generally speaking, a superb OL makes a QB comfortable, and that's absolutely what the Bears should focus on in order to maximize Fields.

I'd love to see the following to make Justin Fields as comfortable as humanly possible:

• 1.9 - Paris Johnson, RT, Ohio State
  • 2.53 - Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State 

The rest of the picks can be BPA with a smattering of obvious need inserted. Looking for explosive playmakers and long, rangy defenders would be priority.

46 minutes ago, jason said:

Concur.

I'm so sick of saying it every year and reading Bears' fans talk about getting more WRs, TEs, and RBs every year. For once I want to see my idea tried. Then I'll forever say, "Well, at least they focused on OL for once."

It's time for the Bears to join the new-age NFL and do everything possible to invest in the offense, the QB, and whatever it takes to make #1 & #2 succeed. Generally speaking, a superb OL makes a QB comfortable, and that's absolutely what the Bears should focus on in order to maximize Fields.

I'd love to see the following to make Justin Fields as comfortable as humanly possible:

The rest of the picks can be BPA with a smattering of obvious need inserted. Looking for explosive playmakers and long, rangy defenders would be priority.

I personally would rather see Joe Tippmann instead of Wypler. We have a young center on the roster similar to Wypler. Doug Kramer, same size both were second team big 10 behind JSM.  Tippman is bigger can also play OG, Wypler is strictly a OC.

9 hours ago, jason said:

Concur.

I feel like the Bears already shaved 2 years off their QB1s potential by not immediately investing resources around him. Let's not push this any further.  The WR room is better, the RBs a wash for now, but the Oline is stagnant.  Just think if Brax Jones didn't work, they would be looking at upgrading 3  positions.  Bring in the best OT and C and the D can be pieced together.  If the Bears are to ever win a Superbowl, it happens with a QB excelling.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I personally would rather see Joe Tippmann instead of Wypler. We have a young center on the roster similar to Wypler. Doug Kramer, same size both were second team big 10 behind JSM.  Tippman is bigger can also play OG, Wypler is strictly a OC.

Center is the one position that the experts aren't agreeing on.  Wypler, Tippman and Schmitz all garner top center from multiple gurus.  Avila has even received a top vote on one.  Scheme fit may separate the big 3.  It would be cool to see a consensus.

27 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

One of the bears scouts at the combine was interviewed by a reporter and said the Bears liked 2  OCs better than Schmitz. Not sure who but Avila, Stromberg, Wypler and Tillman all got attention from the bears.

I would guess one of those is Tippman -he’s probably the best center on the move and my understanding is that the offense wants those kind of guys. The other maybe Wypler? The Bears certainly seem to be doing their due diligence in the next tier of centers - I feel like I’ve heard them linked to Stromberg as well as Juice Scruggs and Jake Andrews, so maybe they like the veterans like Whitehair and Patrick and wait until day three to take a center, or maybe they are just seeing if there’s any day three guys they like more than Kramer and end up deciding on just rolling with the guys they have.