NFL Draft Day One thread.

ASHKUM BEAR

15 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Because I'm curious, why not Skronski?  He ended up being the next picked.  

I wonder also. I’m more a fan of the huge monster OTs with long arms and fast feet, but I think Ski will also end up being very good.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thrilled with Wright - that was my OL all along. Think how nasty we are gonna be running the ball. Wow.

Looks like the Bears might have wanted PJJ more, but at worst they had Wright 2nd. I'm so glad they didn't want a finesse style guy. The HITS identity is real for these guys, and not just a slogan - this bodes very well for the future. Poles is starting to stack up good moves.

Now we gotta move up for DL.

2 minutes ago, jason said:

And now the Lions reach big for a LB that definitely would have been there in the second round. LOL

Been some head scratching moves so far. So refreshing that we’re not one of those teams.  It’s kinda funny that the Jets didn’t take a WR in the first round after Rodgers whined about the Packers didn’t do it.  Would have laughed my butt off if the jets had taken Will Levis 

15 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

This was the best film breakdown I found on Wright before the draft.   Good analysis on pro's and con's and this guy watched every single snap of his in the 2022 season.  

I like seeing that he stays balanced -my issue with Skorondki was that he seemed to constantly be getting bent back and barely holding onto his block, but I don’t see that with him. 

25 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I like seeing that he stays balanced -my issue with Skorondki was that he seemed to constantly be getting bent back and barely holding onto his block, but I don’t see that with him. 

His footwork, mobility, and agility stand out to me. Like you said he says balanced and plays under control. It’s when linemen don’t have good balance and footwork that they panic and have to hold.  It’s the difference in playing in a reactionary way rather than taking the fight to your opponent.  

Watched the Poles press conference on Twitter. I hope he’s good at his job because I really like him.

Says that Wright was their top tackle in the draft and they were really sold on Wright’s tone-setting and aggressive nature. (He didn’t really say this because he wasn’t asked but I get the sense they think he can play LT in the NFL.) Poles went with the O-line coach to do a private workout and they were impressed that he kept performing at a high level as they tried to wear him out.  They gave him terminology and had him explain in back to them, had him do sets and changed plays, etc. and he passed all those tests. His performances against top draft picks was a big plus as well.  

They had one other team call to move up but things never got close and they would have moved far enough down they were worried they wouldn’t get Wright. Says they made a few calls just to feel out the bottom of the first round and will see if they think they might need to move up tomorrow to get a guy in a place that makes sense but also said they could move down. The way he talked I wouldn’t be shocked by a trade up (maybe Keeanu Benton?). 

Skronski is going to be a very good player but something Wright brings to the table is nasty. He's a large mean man that's going to play10 years in the league. His best3 games were against LSU, Anderson and Carter. That says something. In a Anderson interview, he said the best OL he played against was Wright and not even close. Now draft Cody Mauch and you have the two most physical OL in the draft.

26 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Watched the Poles press conference on Twitter. I hope he’s good at his job because I really like him.

Says that Wright was their top tackle in the draft and they were really sold on Wright’s tone-setting and aggressive nature. (He didn’t really say this because he wasn’t asked but I get the sense they think he can play LT in the NFL.) Poles went with the O-line coach to do a private workout and they were impressed that he kept performing at a high level as they tried to wear him out.  They gave him terminology and had him explain in back to them, had him do sets and changed plays, etc. and he passed all those tests. His performances against top draft picks was a big plus as well.  

They had one other team call to move up but things never got close and they would have moved far enough down they were worried they wouldn’t get Wright. Says they made a few calls just to feel out the bottom of the first round and will see if they think they might need to move up tomorrow to get a guy in a place that makes sense but also said they could move down. The way he talked I wouldn’t be shocked by a trade up (maybe Keeanu Benton?). 

I haven't heard the interview since I was at a draft party. My clan wanted Carter, I wanted Wright after Paris Jones Jr was picked.  I convinced them Wright shut all the best down.  Would have been just as happy with Anton Harrison a little deeper.  Poles nailed pick 1 and I hope they can land USC Tuilputotou rd 2. After him the Northwestern kid if they miss him.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Poles obviously had doubts about Carter, so its' fantastic he was able to pick up my #1 choice for ROT.

They got a tackle. I would have went Jalen, but I can’t argue tackle. I would have preferred one more trade down but you know what - I’ll take it. Now use one of those late rounders on the UCLA qb ro if Hooker falls to 3rd or 4th grab him. 

3 hours ago, jason said:

I wonder also. I’m more a fan of the huge monster OTs with long arms and fast feet, but I think Ski will also end up being very good.

I think it was ski was a guard. He is going to be a really good one - but they valued the tackle over the guard and depth wise we have multiplE guard options.

• ASHKUM BEAR changed the title to NFL Draft Day One thread.