A Offensive Tackle Drafted By The Bears

lemonej

Doesn't bother me one bit.   Best player on the board, best OT, top position of need.  He can match Carter physically 1on1 and he's got the work ethic and football character you want in a top 10 pick.  Poles knew it and didn't try to get cute or greedy and trade back hoping he'd still be there.  The fact Skor went right after us at 11 tells us he was right.  

Plus, keep in mind that while Skor was a guy who was pegged as a potentially great OG who might not be able to play OT, the Bears took a guy who can definitely play OT and could probably be a hell of a guard if needed. So I would argue they maybe got the more versatile guy. 

11 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Plus, keep in mind that while Skor was a guy who was pegged as a potentially great OG who might not be able to play OT, the Bears took a guy who can definitely play OT and could probably be a hell of a guard if needed. So I would argue they maybe got the more versatile guy. 

Read that D Wright played the entire season for Tenn at LOT in 2021, then switched to play all 2022 at ROT. Also played 2 games at OG early in his college days. So he is certainly versatile, and has not been ruled out as LOT according to Poles. 

Loved the presser where Wright told about Pace and the OL Coach trying to test his resolve by putting him through a tough conditioning drill on their visit for a personal tryout. For Poles to travel to attend this audition I take it is not the norm and shows he was determined to find the best option for the ROT position. Getting to like Poles. Now he needs to nail it tonight!

15 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Read that D Wright played the entire season for Tenn at LOT in 2021, then switched to play all 2022 at ROT. Also played 2 games at OG early in his college days. So he is certainly versatile, and has not been ruled out as LOT according to Poles. 

Loved the presser where Wright told about Pace and the OL Coach trying to test his resolve by putting him through a tough conditioning drill on their visit for a personal tryout. For Poles to travel to attend this audition I take it is not the norm and shows he was determined to find the best option for the ROT position. Getting to like Poles. Now he needs to nail it tonight!

I would like to read/hear an explanation of the switch from LT to RT. That’s generally considered a demotion but maybe they had a stud LT come in. 

EDIT: Found This: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2022/08/05/tennessee-football-darnell-wright-right-tackle/10187298002/

2 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I would like to read/hear an explanation of the switch from LT to RT. That’s generally considered a demotion but maybe they had a stud LT come in. 

Good point. I was wondering the same. I assume the switch was to get the best 5 on board, and maybe Wright was better suited for ROT than the guy who played LOT for TENN last year? Does anyone know who their LOT was and how good he was? I didn't watch much college FB last year so I would have no valid opinion.

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Good point. I was wondering the same. I assume the switch was to get the best 5 on board, and maybe Wright was better suited for ROT than the guy who played LOT for TENN last year? Does anyone know who their LOT was and how good he was? I didn't watch much college FB last year so I would have no valid opinion.

I just Googled the following question:

Why did d wright switch from left offensive tackle to right offensive tackle?

It seems others have asked this question because it did come up with an interesting response. I assume from reading it Wright played ROT in 2020, LOT in 2021, then switched back to ROT in 2022 beacause:

The senior started nine at right tackle as a sophomore in 2020. The conversation about moving back to right tackle stemmed from the abilities on Tennessee's roster. Elarbee suggested the shift to open the left tackle position to players who had only played on the left side.

Glen Elarbee was the Offensive Line Coach for the Tennessee Vols.

47 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Doesn't bother me one bit.   Best player on the board, best OT, top position of need.  He can match Carter physically 1on1 and he's got the work ethic and football character you want in a top 10 pick.  Poles knew it and didn't try to get cute or greedy and trade back hoping he'd still be there.  The fact Skor went right after us at 11 tells us he was right.  

100%

31 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Yes Poles is stacking wins now. Love all of this.

9 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

100%

Yes Poles is stacking wins now. Love all of this.

What I liked best about that workout when Wright was discussing it is that Wright came out and said that is how he wants to be coached.  No complaining that it was tough, just give me more of it, make me better.  

53 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

What I liked best about that workout when Wright was discussing it is that Wright came out and said that is how he wants to be coached.  No complaining that it was tough, just give me more of it, make me better.  

its the competitive HITS spirit. A lot of GMs pay lip service to these things, and then reach on players who measure well but arent football players. It really seems like this GM, Coach and President are all aligned in creating a culture of hustle and accountability. I believe it will pay off, and we will have a team that contends regularly. Finally.

20 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Love the pick. I would've preferred it at 14 and gotten more for the Jalen Carter opportunity but hell I am just an expert PFF and PFN drafter.

sure, but i think seeing Skoronski go the very next pick tells you that Wright wasnt going to be there at 14. Players like Lukas Van Ness and Calijah Kancey were steals in the mock drafts in the second round, but in reality, they were climbing teams boards and all went in the first round.

Im glad Poles was able to read the tea leaves and not get too cute, trading down and missing on the right guys.

I think days 2 and 3 will see more flexibility to move around, as teams start to diverge more on the value they give different players.