NFL Draft Day 2 thread

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I was confused at first - thinking Dexter was too slow off of the snap to be a 3T. Then we took Pickens, and I realized Dexter would be the nose - and that makes a lot of sense. he will rotate with and learn from free agent two gap DT Billings. Perfect.

Stevenson has some great skills, very physical, and when he sees the play he gets in great position to make plays on the ball. But the knock is he blew a lot of coverages. He will need to get coached up.

But Im loving Poles - a lot of teams have philosophies they talk about, but their player decisions dont always align with it. We are clearly picking up physical high motor HITS guys. Thats impressive. We are gonna be bullies.

Slow off the snap is just late reaction time, he's actually very quick for his size.  I think he'll be the 3rd man in our Dline rotation likely seeing time at both spots.  There's no way to know what he was taught in college but if our coaches can get him firing off the line at the snap he's going to be very disruptive.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starter by the end of the season.  

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

I love the picks! If we get AA top of next round and Olu we are set!

AA is stuck in the middle as a tweener.   I doubt we draft him to be an edge player but I could be wrong and we've already filled the DT spots. 

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Yeah - whether I would have taken the exact guys, maybe not, but I like the positions he went and how he stayed patient. 

I still want a center if they like one - a developmental qb and If they like a back take a shot at one. 

agree

34 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Slow off the snap is just late reaction time, he's actually very quick for his size.  I think he'll be the 3rd man in our Dline rotation likely seeing time at both spots.  There's no way to know what he was taught in college but if our coaches can get him firing off the line at the snap he's going to be very disruptive.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starter by the end of the season.  

I agree with this - hes a fast guy, but slow reaction time, I think there are ways to train that.

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I heard a Florida beat reporter say that Florida didn't have any depth on the D line so he had to play to much. The first half was where all his production came from and and the second half was terrible. Pickens and Stevenson both played in the senior Bowl under Gresty. So we know those players well.

11 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I say trade down - the offers should be good and I don’t see a guy on the board I just have to have. 

If you force me to choose, give me Isaiah McGuire, Luke Wypler, or AT Perry. 

You got you wish, moved down to 13th pick in round 4 and gained 5th round from Saints

13 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I thought Dexter would be the 3T too, which he can since he has the motor to wreck havoc.  But he will be slotted to work at the 1T and learn from Billings.  Dexter and Pickens will grow into a nice tandem with their size and burst. 

Poles said both Dexter and Pickens will be 1T and 3T, they will play both and be interchangeable.  He wants big, long, and fast guys on the line....maybe why AA wasn't selected 

• 3 weeks later...

I think Dexter has the tools to be a real monster in a few years - who knows maybe the lightbulb will come on sooner, but i expect him to be really good in a few years.

He will definitely be a starter at NT, probably before this year is over, and he may stay there. Itd be great to have a NT who can bring pressure, you hardly ever see that, and teamed with a real and good 3T, the push from the middle could be unprecedented.

But he also could turn into an All Pro 3T in time, so I cant say where he will end up.

I hope we see flashes of it this year. I read he isnt done growing too and could add more size and muscle to his already huge frame.

I'll be rooting for him to evolve into a star for us. Id love to see it right away, but i suspect it will take a while. Maybe he will turn into a major force in the middle of 2024 right as we are opening our superbowl window.

I think all of this is possible, and I also think he will make mistakes this year too. He has the brute strength to recover from some of those mistakes, but i think we will see flashes rather than consistent dominance from him this year.

All this to say i am excited about him, and I wont get too down on him or any of our rookies as they acclimate to the NFL.

Just look at Brisker and Gordon last year. We started them before they were complete, and they had growing pains, but now they are solid.

Ditto CB Stevenson.

Oh and Wright? He's gonna be a stud from the word go.

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Dexter has the tools to be a real monster in a few years - who knows maybe the lightbulb will come on sooner, but i expect him to be really good in a few years.

He will definitely be a starter at NT, probably before this year is over, and he may stay there. Itd be great to have a NT who can bring pressure, you hardly ever see that, and teamed with a real and good 3T, the push from the middle could be unprecedented.

But he also could turn into an All Pro 3T in time, so I cant say where he will end up.

I hope we see flashes of it this year. I read he isnt done growing too and could add more size and muscle to his already huge frame.

I'll be rooting for him to evolve into a star for us. Id love to see it right away, but i suspect it will take a while. Maybe he will turn into a major force in the middle of 2024 right as we are opening our superbowl window.

I think all of this is possible, and I also think he will make mistakes this year too. He has the brute strength to recover from some of those mistakes, but i think we will see flashes rather than consistent dominance from him this year.

All this to say i am excited about him, and I wont get too down on him or any of our rookies as they acclimate to the NFL.

Just look at Brisker and Gordon last year. We started them before they were complete, and they had growing pains, but now they are solid.

Ditto CB Stevenson.

Oh and Wright? He's gonna be a stud from the word go.

Last year Olines easily got our entire defense front moving sideways or backwards.  We now have two players who can at least stop that.  Pickens has to learn how to avoid that.  Justin Jones was part of the problem but hopefully with a better rotation to support him he’ll be able to make a few more big plays.  

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Last year Olines easily got our entire defense front moving sideways or backwards.  We now have two players who can at least stop that.  Pickens has to learn how to avoid that.  Justin Jones was part of the problem but hopefully with a better rotation to support him he’ll be able to make a few more big plays.  

If we play a run heavy physical team, I could see both Dexter and Billings in on first down. Move that!

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

If we play a run heavy physical team, I could see both Dexter and Billings in on first down. Move that!

I like that front and think Dexter as a 3T penetrating the pocket can be something he can excel in.  He has the tools to play both and maybe his strength to take doubles better suits the team at the 1T in the future but he also has the athletic ability to attack and collapse a pocket.  Early on, I thought Mazi Smith, DT Michigan, could be a guy similiar to Dexter, but he didn't do enough athletic tests to register a RAS score and was taken higher.  I sure hope Dexter and Pickens play often and establish themselves early so we can cross 3T off and concentrate on the Edge.  

9 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I like that front and think Dexter as a 3T penetrating the pocket can be something he can excel in.  He has the tools to play both and maybe his strength to take doubles better suits the team at the 1T in the future but he also has the athletic ability to attack and collapse a pocket.  Early on, I thought Mazi Smith, DT Michigan, could be a guy similiar to Dexter, but he didn't do enough athletic tests to register a RAS score and was taken higher.  I sure hope Dexter and Pickens play often and establish themselves early so we can cross 3T off and concentrate on the Edge.  

I agree, I think the long term "floor" is Dexter at 1T and Pickens (or whoever) at 3T, BUT Dexter has such a high ceiling, if he turns into a monster, he could play either DT spot.

That said, if we find (or develop) another 3T monster, and Dexter plays at NT, that would be amazing because he has pass rush abilities from the nose, and that means there is nowhere for a QB to hide.

Dexter is a great chess piece and will help us a lot from either DT position.

I'm with you 100% - we need edge rushers now.

It's an amazing tribute to Poles, but looking at the roster, one of our weakest positions now is QB. That's a great place for Fields to be. He isnt being held back by a bad Ol or covered WRs any more. He should have every chance to succeed. And if he does, watch out. And if he doesnt, we are in the Caleb Williams lottery with 2 first rounders.

I wanna see Fields ball out and use those picks on Harrison Jr and a top edge rusher.

58 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

It's an amazing tribute to Poles, but looking at the roster, one of our weakest positions now is QB. That's a great place for Fields to be. He isnt being held back by a bad Ol or covered WRs any more. He should have every chance to succeed. And if he does, watch out. And if he doesnt, we are in the Caleb Williams lottery with 2 first rounders.

I wanna see Fields ball out and use those picks on Harrison Jr and a top edge rusher.

I cannot see any team moving out of the #1 for two firsts.  If they end up at 1, they most likely need the QB. Our only hope is that Car is that team, but I am seeing projections they finish 2nd in their division.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I cannot see any team moving out of the #1 for two firsts.  If they end up at 1, they most likely need the QB. Our only hope is that Car is that team, but I am seeing projections they finish 2nd in their division.

yeah I was thinking Carolina, but more than that, Im hoping Fields rises to the occasion, Carolina sinks, and for us to be able to snag Marvin Harrison Jr as the first non QB taken with Carolina's pick :)

BUT If Carolina has the second or 3rd pick, and Fields was awful and we have the 4th or 5th pick, I think those two together would get you the #1 pick.

No matter what we added on the OL or more weapons we got, the number of wins we have this year will be obtained by the progress of Justin Fields. If he takes the next step , we can have unlimited success. All the new players will help  but he needs  between 3500 and 4000 yards. 25 to 30 TDs at a rate of 67%. The intangibles are what matters with him. Hard worker, leadership and the will to win. It's a no-brainer to me.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand the love affair the press has with CAR. Yes, they are in a weak division. But an undersized rookie QB who will get tossed about like a rag doll, my guess getting his bell rung a couple of times, with a limited group of talent around him does not sound like a dominating team.

NOS improved a talented roster. ATL will have a powerful run game. TBB might be the worse of the lot. I have to believe the CAR pick will be a top 10 if not top 5.

44 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I, for the life of me, cannot understand the love affair the press has with CAR. Yes, they are in a weak division. But an undersized rookie QB who will get tossed about like a rag doll, my guess getting his bell rung a couple of times, with a limited group of talent around him does not sound like a dominating team.

NOS improved a talented roster. ATL will have a powerful run game. TBB might be the worse of the lot. I have to believe the CAR pick will be a top 10 if not top 5.

that sounds right - sure hope they tank this year.