NFL Draft Day 3 Thread

AZ54

2 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Anyone know of any interesting UDFA prospects at the edge or OC positions? 😉

Wondering if it’s a situation where the Bears aren’t addressing it late because they don’t have a guy they love, but they know that by not addressing it it makes their situation more attractive to UDFAs. Still I’d love to see them take a chance on Andre Carter and let the Army guy hear his name called. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He's the same size as Kancey and AA. Maybe that's the reason they didn't take AA, they knew they were drafting this guy that fits the same mold.

That could be.  I will trust Poles, Cunningham, and Flus on this kid if they thought he had the same upside or more.  Now to see how they shake out in camp.  Hope they make our DEs jobs easier like Poles said they should and we see more sacks.

The word is that the Commanders are not picking up the 5th year option for Chase Young and may be looking to trade him for draft capitol. He had a great rookie season but then crapped out the last two years because of injuries. Now the Commanders may be looking to move on.

I sure as hell wouldn't give up a 1st, but maybe a 3rd that could be a 2nd if he is a first ballot pro bowl selection his first season (and agreed to a reasonable contract).

What do you guys think? Do you think his guy is washed up or will he return to the dominating edge rusher he proved to be in his rookie year when he was DROY and was voted to the Pro Bowl?

4 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The word is that the Commanders are not picking up the 5th year option for Chase Young and may be looking to trade him for draft capitol. He had a great rookie season but then crapped out the last two years because of injuries. Now the Commanders may be looking to move on.

I sure as hell wouldn't give up a 1st, but maybe a 3rd that could be a 2nd if he is a first ballot pro bowl selection his first season (and agreed to a reasonable contract).

What do you guys think? Do you think his guy is washed up or will he return to the dominating edge rusher he proved to be in his rookie year when he was DROY and was voted to the Pro Bowl?

All outward signs point to that injury being very severe.  The fact they re-signed Payne and now want to dump him?    That basically means they do not think he’ll help them win games this year.  If he could they can find other ways to get similar trade value for him either mid season or next off season.  Caveat Emptor 100%

5 hours ago, Pixote said:

2 years of injuries without seeing him play for most of a year is to risky. He's making 11 mil this yr. He only played 10% of the snaps last year. Then you have to give up draft capital. Poles  is not going to do that.

The only pick that bothered me was the Dexter pick at 53. I like productive players. He has talent but this is based on traits.Poles  clearly thinks he will turn into Chris Jones. He was in KC when they drafted him.  I have seen several scouts say Jones is the pro comparison. I think he plays NT and Pickens plays 3 T.  

3 T : Justin Jones/ Pickens

NT : Dexter/ Billings 

DE: Walker/ Gipson/ Robinson/ Greene

Interested to see Travis Bell as a 3T.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The only pick that bothered me was the Dexter pick at 53. I like productive players. He has talent but this is based on traits.Poles  clearly thinks he will turn into Chris Jones. He was in KC when they drafted him.  I have seen several scouts say Jones is the pro comparison. I think he plays NT and Pickens plays 3 T.  

Next year will be the year they invest at DE and they will gave draft capital to do it.   This year they bolstered the interior which makes the DE job easier when the pocket gets collapsed.  It is a process but getting addressed. I like this Travis Bell and think he will grind his way into making some plays down the road.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I hadn't thought about it but he does have very similar physical traits to Chris Jones.  I wanted us to draft Jones in the 1st Rd years ago.  If Eberflus can get Dexter anywhere close to that level we're in good shape for the future.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I hadn't thought about it but he does have very similar physical traits to Chris Jones.  I wanted us to draft Jones in the 1st Rd years ago.  If Eberflus can get Dexter anywhere close to that level we're in good shape for the future.  

We are going see how good of coaches we have. Dexter can contribute but where he needs to be, to be formidable, he needs lots of growing. I think Pickens has a higher floor but wouldn't be as good a player. It's an upgrade for us but we need one star. Not sure if he's on the roster yet

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Florida Gator Alumni here.

Dexter is a monster. Y’all will love him

Do you agree with the sentiment that Dexter was on the field for too many snaps due to lack of depth on their roster and that is what led to some of his lackluster plays?  

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

We are going see how good of coaches we have. Dexter can contribute but where he needs to be, to be formidable, he needs lots of growing. I think Pickens has a higher floor but wouldn't be as good a player. It's an upgrade for us but we need one star. Not sure if he's on the roster yet

Watch the video of the draft phone call with Dexter.   Look at the pause and the look on Dexter’s face when Flus tells him to bring his track shoes. He’s going to go through some culture shock.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Watch the video of the draft phone call with Dexter.   Look at the pause and the look on Dexter’s face when Flus tells him to bring his track shoes. He’s going to go through some culture shock.  

I thought Dexter would be a NT but he's going to be a 3 T. Flus had Buckner in Indy,  I think they are trying to recreate that player in Dexter. 

54 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I thought Dexter would be a NT but he's going to be a 3 T. Flus had Buckner in Indy,  I think they are trying to recreate that player in Dexter. 

Poles said both Dexter and Pickens are going to play both spots.  With his height, it may be the plan with Dexter though.  I do see Pickens bring more of a 3T, but they have 3 new draftees to get one to take it.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Poles said both Dexter and Pickens are going to play both spots.  With his height, it may be the plan with Dexter though.  I do see Pickens bring more of a 3T, but they have 3 new draftees to get one to take it.

Pickens fits the 3T better but we will have flexibility in roles which just makes it a bit harder for the Oline. A late shift could easily flip things.  

I think they are going to try all three rookie DTs at 3T knowing some of them can play nose if need be or they dont work out at 3T. I think they wish there was a clear 3T candidate, like if Carter had been a HITS guy, or if theyd gotten Kancey, so they are doing the shotgun approach, and seeing who steps up at 3T.

But I think they know that Pickens is the most likely 3T, and Dexter could end up at NT. But theyll give them all a chance to be a hero at 3T, and that gives them the best chance of finding one thats a real starter.

There are two interesting aspects to a lot of our draft picks that I'm just starting to pick up on.  Not sure how intentional they were.

One is relative inexperience at their position, which (theoretically) means room for growth with good coaching.  Dexter didn't start playing football until halfway through high school.  Roschon Johnson came to Texas as a QB and became a RB based on injuries (you can see his inexperience watching him play - he seems to do a lot of dancing behind the line like you would expect from an option QB and I think he'll be much more effective when he better learns to hit the hole and go).  Tyler Scott was a high school running back.  All those guys were pretty effective in their own right but it feels like there is room for improvement beyond maybe even comparably rated players.

The other is players who were maybe not put in a situation last year that showcased their abilities.  Zacch Pickens seems like he was asked to do more gap-control last year but seems better suited to a scheme where he is attacking upfield, which might account for his low sack totals.  Noah Sewell had 114 tackles and was considered a top LB a year ago, then the defense switched to a new, more complex system and his tackles and production plummeted.  You could even argue that had Darnell Wright stayed at LT, he would have been a more attractive draftee - all indications are he performed well last year at LT and only switched because of the skill set of the new guys coming into Tennessee.  If he had stayed at LT and performed at or near what he did at RT (not a sure thing but within the realm of possibility) he would have had more consecutive starts at LT than either Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson.

On 4/29/2023 at 6:46 PM, dawhizz said:

Wondering if it’s a situation where the Bears aren’t addressing it late because they don’t have a guy they love, but they know that by not addressing it it makes their situation more attractive to UDFAs. Still I’d love to see them take a chance on Andre Carter and let the Army guy hear his name called. 

I'm thinking back to something AZ54 said, that heard adding a young center to a young OL may not be the best option.  Definitely look for C to be upgraded before the 24 season.