OTAs

AZ54

A couple things I'll be looking for in reports from the OTAs...(assuming these players show up)

At the top of my list is Justin Fields with quick feet.  That sounds odd for one of the fastest QBs in NFL history but I want to see him demonstrate quick change of direction with his feet on short passes.  Snap to the right, snap to the left, just like an elite basketball defender.  Keep his feet and throwing mechanics aligned as he goes through his reads and get rid of those poor habits of twisting his body and arm to hit a WR on a bubble screen or a late decision to hit the RB in the flat.  

Justin with continued improvement on his arm/throwing motion.  He worked on that a lot last year and it showed during the season (credit where credit is due).  At times it still felt like it was too mechanical, or forced, and not smooth or second nature and that led to the ball getting out late.   Are the eyes and release more in sync so the ball is gone as soon as he "sees it".  

Velus' route running.  Last year it was clear he just barely learning the details of route running.  Any signs of improvement?   With his talent we don't need him to be a legit #3 WR just a viable #4 WR that causes a defense headaches because he can be used in a variety of ways.  He doesn't need to have every route or play in his arsenal but given the other WRs we now have, if Velus can work all levels of the field on a limited route tree that's enough to cause a defense big problems.  

Do we have any safety depth?  It's only coverage stuff at this point so OTAs mean little but we're thin on depth behind Jackson and Brisker.   

3rd TE, anybody want to win this job?  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I'll be looking for is if Tevin Jenkins makes weight.  He was a concern for multiple reasons during camp and as the season wore on.  Also in the mix, is whether our new DL gets up to speed quickly.  On Velus Jones, I would have him perform some type of special pre snap movement or post snap fake nearly every play he's on the field.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

One thing I'll be looking for is if Tevin Jenkins makes weight.  He was a concern for multiple reasons during camp and as the season wore on.  Also in the mix, is weather we our new DL gets up to speed quickly.  On Velus Jones, I would have him perform some type of special pre snap movement or post snap fake nearly every play he's on the field.

Good point on Teven.  His body conditioning is a good indication if he's bought into the program this year.     

13 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Good point on Teven.  His body conditioning is a good indication if he's bought into the program this year.     

Don't know if it matters but he got married in the off-season. Usually people focus different and have a different attitude.  Maturity is his best friend going forward.

I think Terrell Smith can play safety and Hicks got some snaps last year. I think if they question depth at all, they'll go get DHC

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Don't know if it matters but he got married in the off-season. Usually people focus different and have a different attitude.  Maturity is his best friend going forward.

I think Terrell Smith can play safety and Hicks got some snaps last year. I think if they question depth at all, they'll go get DHC

We’ll see.  Leno got married and his performance got worse.   Just like Gould he got his act together after he got cut.  

I think Leno has always been just average and as he got older, his play eroded. The best thing about Leno was he was always healthy. Hopefully Jenkins keeps getting better but I think J Carter would be the next man up if Jenkins falters. I think we undervalue players we have because we are always looking at the new players. Some of these 2 nd year players will step up and have more of a impact than in their first year.(V Jones) is an example. I think he gets 5-6 touches a game and has one big play in him.

If we dont add a pass rusher, we will expect Gipson and Robinson to play better. Also I have been watching tape on Edmunds and Sewell and I think in a pinch we could throw them on the edge as a situational rusher. 

I think Poles adds a edge but may not be Yannick N or Frank Clark.

I've been watching tape on all of draft picks and both Dexter and Pickens are strong player with athleticism . Pickens was voted D lineman for the week at the senior bowl. His tape there was outstanding . Also Wright was voted the O lineman of the week. Having Gresty as the Senior will play dividends with his up close evaluations of the players.  Thats where they got to see Stevenson also. 

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I've been watching tape on all of draft picks and both Dexter and Pickens are strong player with athleticism . Pickens was voted D lineman for the week at the senior bowl. His tape there was outstanding . Also Wright was voted the O lineman of the week. Having Gresty as the Senior will play dividends with his up close evaluations of the players.  Thats where they got to see Stevenson also. 

It is interesting to see the projections and how they decided on Dexter before Stevenson and Pickens. Hopefully playing Dexter strictly downhill without having to read and react will help his game. If Gordon makes a good leap this offseason, Stevenson with Johnson make a pretty formidable CB room.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I couldn't help but notice that Leatherwood is still on the roster.  I'm hoping to see him turn into the 1st round player he was projected to be.  

That would be great, but where would he play? RT is locked down for the next decade, and Jones is ascending at LT. If Leatherwood turned into an All Pro LT, then great, but it's unlikely that he could unseat Jones with anything less than that, and I dont see him really getting the chance to develop like that on the current depth chart?

Maybe he would replace Jenkins at OG? Jenkins has physical tools, but hes been a bit of a head case, so who knows? I just dont see the opening for Leatherwood even if he does progress.

39 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Maybe he would replace Jenkins at OG? Jenkins has physical tools, but hes been a bit of a head case, so who knows? I just dont see the opening for Leatherwood even if he does progress.

Great depth of he gets his head on straight.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Great depth of he gets his head on straight.

I'm convinced Jenkins will refuse to sign a new contract with the Bears, unless it is an insane overpay, because he is convinced he is a starting OLT and will look for a team to give him a shot at same. But hey, if we are in the mid of a SB window, he may want to enjoy the ride. LOL

5 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If his agent doesn't explain it, the NFL GM's will.  He'll make more as an all pro guard than a mediocre tackle.  He seems like the type to want a huge deal though.

I think he plays for us this year, but i don't think he will be the starter at LG in 2024. I could be wrong, he could play well and get his head right, but I think our staff doesnt want to take the chance that his head gets unscrewed later. Not for a LG.

Jenkins has two yrs left on his contract, so I dont see that coming into play. He had some issues but proved himself when he played. I think he just needed to mature to get his act together mentally. Leatherwood has a guaranteed contract so if he doesnt progress for a starting job, they will just have him as a backup. 

Im saying they will draft Jenkins' replacement next year, so he wont get a long term deal, and so you gotta be prepared for the idea that he may hold out or something in 2024.

Perhaps he starts opening day 2024, but I dont see him finishing the season as the starter.

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I couldn't help but notice that Leatherwood is still on the roster.  I'm hoping to see him turn into the 1st round player he was projected to be.  

Having him all off season will be a key to see where he fits and develops. 

Braxton Jones is a top 10 run blocker but mediocre pass blocker.  If he cannot improve in that area, there are a couple great LTs in this draft if Jones, Leatherwood, or Borum cannot.   

As for Jenkins, I think he has grown.  He struggled early grasping the position change but has been working hard this offseason to be better.  He was the Bears best Olineman last year when healthy. I love his demeanor and he also is a nasty tone setter. I do not see the Bears looking to replace him with a high draft pick next year.  Maybe a mid-late round flyer, but they have Carter and Eiselen. 

Center will be a position of need unless Kramer shows up since Whitehair/Patrick contracts expire.

The Defense has solid DBs/LBs. With longer and stronger DTs and creativity with blitz packages, I think we see vast improvement from the front 4 and a defense on the verge of being a feared unit. 

Flys made Shaq Pearson a great LB, think what he will do with Edmund's, Edward's, Sowell, and Sanborn. 

Jenkins still has to prove himself. Its very encouraging when he played but he needs a whole year on the field to solidify his starters role. In the beginning of the year he has some  work ethic issues then the nagging injury bug hit him. I think its more of a maturity issue with him, hopefully he gets his act together. 

They have Ja'Tyre Carter and Dieter Eiselen in backup roles for now. I suspect Leatherwood could play inside also. Carter had some good traits but needed to get stronger as all rookies need to do. I find Dieter interesting because they keep bringing him back. They must like his progress. If I remember Eiselen took some snaps at OC last preseason. Kramer can only play OC so I see him on the practice squad and then keep Carter or Eiselen because they could back up a couple of spots. I think Carter may get some snaps at OC if they dont like what Patrick brings to the table. 

On 5/22/2023 at 9:44 AM, BearFan PHX said:

That would be great, but where would he play? RT is locked down for the next decade, and Jones is ascending at LT. If Leatherwood turned into an All Pro LT, then great, but it's unlikely that he could unseat Jones with anything less than that, and I dont see him really getting the chance to develop like that on the current depth chart?

Who knows?  When they open camp it would be an opportunity for Leatherwood and Jenkins to prove themselves. If both are up to the task it'll be who's best to help the team at the end of the day, whether it be as a starter or backup.  I wouldn't say that Jones is a guarantee until he proves otherwise. Who knows, Leatherwood could come in and impress the hell out of everyone and change things all around.   I would agree that to some level the only one who really is a 'sure thing' on the line is Wright.  

Since there is no contact, these OTAs really show nothing with the lineman because they cant hit each other. It sees how players move but the WRs and RBs can get some time to form a connection with Fields. There are going to be 2nd year players that were forgotten that will show up because of one year of development.

Im interested in seeing if Leatherwood actually shows progress or just is what he is. 

Interested to see if Gipson and Robinson can actually give us some pass rushing help this year.

With a better DT push from the middle this year, (4 new players) will that help the edge rushers get home more? Will the scheme get Edmunds and Edwards some pass rushing reps? Edmunds at 6'5" 250 he's as big as many edge rushers in the NFL. 

They signed Edmunds to the biggest contract in the off season. Hearing Flus  interviewed , he's going to focus the defense around him . He expects him to be the leader going forward. With him and Brisker, I think they will give a new culture to the defense. Edmunds  has 5 Ints and 35 PDs in five years. Him and Edwards will take away the middle of the defense which was one of our weaknesses last year. He's only 26 years old and never had a major injury. Only missed 6 games in 5 yrs. In the last two years Edwards has had 12 PDs and 1 int. That is huge pass defense additions.