OTAs

AZ54

Per The Athletic, this is a quote from Fields, “Chase has improved tremendously from the end of last year to now,” he said. “That’s one thing I’m truly proud to say, seeing his work ethic, his attitude change. You can just see he’s taking another step, so definitely excited for that.” 

Claypool seems to have humbled himself and bought into the reality of his career.  This could be a big upgrade for the receivers.

Edited by Mongo3451
Corrected to reflect who said what. Thanks AZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaylon Johnson didn't show up again for voluntary OTAs. Tells me he hasn't bought in in to the culture of the team. He's a good CB but isn't big on TOs which knocks him out of the conversation for being one of the better CBs in the league. He's a 2nd tier CB. Good but not great. He's going to want top dollar when he gets to  his contract value. With the Bears taking 2 CBs in the draft, I think JJ won't be here next year. JJ seems to be all about himself instead of a team guy. 

3 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Per The Athletic, this is a quote from Flus, “Chase has improved tremendously from the end of last year to now,” he said. “That’s one thing I’m truly proud to say, seeing his work ethic, his attitude change. You can just see he’s taking another step, so definitely excited for that.” 

Claypool seems to have humbled himself and bought into the reality of his career.  This could be a big upgrade for the receivers.

I just think coming in the middle of the season, it's hard for any player to completely get acclimated to a new team. Poles gets flack for the Claypool trade but I think his value is established this year. He has been working out with Fields during the off-season and it will show this year.

In regards to Claypool, from listening to some podcasts, the Matt Canada offense literally has no concepts. Players don't play off each other, or make adjustments. Supposedly Getsy's does, so Claypool had a steep learning curve from "run your route" to "do this when they do that, but change it if this happens, etc, etc".

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Jaylon Johnson didn't show up again for voluntary OTAs. Tells me he hasn't bought in in to the culture of the team. He's a good CB but isn't big on TOs which knocks him out of the conversation for being one of the better CBs in the league. He's a 2nd tier CB. Good but not great. He's going to want top dollar when he gets to  his contract value. With the Bears taking 2 CBs in the draft, I think JJ won't be here next year. JJ seems to be all about himself instead of a team guy. 

It is not something a fan enjoys reading, but RG, Nate Davis was a no show too.  Along with Eddie Jackson and Darnell Mooney.  The media is only putting pressure on Jaylon, but I am just as concerned about the other guys.  Some of these guys had injuries which might have a part in their decisions. They are all veterans and know in June mandatory ota's start.  I will be more concerned if they do not show up for that.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It is not something a fan enjoys reading, but RG, Nate Davis was a no show too.  Along with Eddie Jackson and Darnell Mooney.  The media is only putting pressure on Jaylon, but I am just as concerned about the other guys.  Some of these guys had injuries which might have a part in their decisions. They are all veterans and know in June mandatory ota's start.  I will be more concerned if they do not show up for that.

Eddie and Darnell are still healing.  Jaylon needs a contract extension.  Not sure about Nate.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Since there is no contact, these OTAs really show nothing with the lineman because they cant hit each other. It sees how players move but the WRs and RBs can get some time to form a connection with Fields. There are going to be 2nd year players that were forgotten that will show up because of one year of development.

Im interested in seeing if Leatherwood actually shows progress or just is what he is.  

No contact however doesn't mean coaches can't see who can reach to their blocking assignment and their footwork/timing.   IIRC it was in OTAs last year that trouble started for Teven at RT and it's also when we started seeing Braxton Jones take over at LT.  Even without contact the coaches aren't going to waste snaps that help build timing and cohesiveness with the first team.   Keep in mind that this is Phase 2 of offseason training and reportedly in Phase 1 players were able to be in working on individual drills with coaches.   That phase 1 stuff is new to me so I'm not sure just how much interaction position coaches have with players, if any.  

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Per The Athletic, this is a quote from Flus, “Chase has improved tremendously from the end of last year to now,” he said. “That’s one thing I’m truly proud to say, seeing his work ethic, his attitude change. You can just see he’s taking another step, so definitely excited for that.” 

I watched the press conferences I thought it was Fields who said that not Flus.  Or maybe they both said something but it's here near the 10:30 mark.

16 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Eddie and Darnell are still healing.  Jaylon needs a contract extension.  Not sure about Nate.

Other injured players are there but not participating, like Travis Homer and Sanborn.  Chicago Media needs controversy to sell or get click and Johnson is due a big contract so he should be cautious. I am good with him doing what he needs to tale care of himself. If the Bears do not like him, someone else will.  

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Nate Davis has been in the building working out often enough that Fields complimented him on his work ethic and leadership. He just had to pack up his family and move.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he needs time to get things settled.    Eddie and Money both have been around working out but can’t practice yet.    

He  ( Nate Davis) might be in the middle of moving, hard to say why but since he has been working out at the complex, it shouldn't be a big deal. The problem with JJ is he didn't show up last year, got benched when mandatory OTAs started. He's good enough to bank oh his talent but now that  they drafted 2 CBs , he needs to buy into the culture. Roquan went thru  this but showed up to the complex. If he plays well this year, none of this doesn't matter but he goes 0 TOs again this year, he ain't getting what he expects by way of money. Top 10 CB contracts are 14 mil +, top 20 are 11 mil +. 

Last year Kyle Gordon has 3 int as a rookie. JJ has only had 1 in 3 years. Poles will offer him 9-10 and he won't sign because he thinks he's deserves better. I doubt he comes back.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I watched the press conferences I thought it was Fields who said that not Flus.  Or maybe they both said something but it's here near the 10:30 mark.

You are correct. Here is the part of the article that led directly to what I misquoted above.

Poles and Eberflus have pointed to the challenge for receivers in getting up to speed during the season. After Tuesday’s practice, Eberflus said he’s seen Claypool “getting more comfortable adjusting.”

Fields was asked about what he’s working on technically this offseason, and he mentioned going through his progressions quickly, then referenced getting Claypool worked in more often.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

He  ( Nate Davis) might be in the middle of moving, hard to say why but since he has been working out at the complex, it shouldn't be a big deal. The problem with JJ is he didn't show up last year, got benched when mandatory OTAs started. He's good enough to bank oh his talent but now that  they drafted 2 CBs , he needs to buy into the culture. Roquan went thru  this but showed up to the complex. If he plays well this year, none of this doesn't but he goes 0 TOs again this year, he ain't getting what he expects by way of money. Top 10 CB contracts are 14 mil +, top 20 are 11 mil +. 

Last year Kyle Gordon has 3 int as a rookie. JJ has only had 1 in 3 years. Poles will offer him 9-10 and he won't sign because he thinks he's deserves better. I doubt he comes back.

right. the way to sustainability is to be constantly drafting replacement players, and only sign the very best of the core guys you have to big contracts. Soon we will see the Bears trading GOOD players in the last year of their deals, like the Patriots did. We will probably whine about it "why not resign X, hes been so good" players on the level of Akeim Hicks when the Patriots didnt keep him etc. But when that happens, know that the Bears will have arrived as a true top 5 franchise in the league.

Long way to say that you dont need to be awful to not get resigned anymore, and if you're not a key core player, you are expendable.

Poles sets a value on a player and doesnt overpay. Whether you agree or not, he is doing the best way for long range goals. He wanted Monty back but wouldnt go past his price. Monty is basically getting 6 mil per yr, and 8.7  mil guaranteed. I suspect Poles would only pay him like 5 mil guaranteed. Roquan averages 20 mil with 45 mil guaranteed . I think Poles likes the length of Edmunds and pass defense better than Smith and paid him. .  

30 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Poles likes the length of Edmunds and pass defense better than Smith and paid him.

I think Poles loves that he got Edmonds for less than Roquan, plus a second round pick.  Plus, our running back room is better and cheaper than if he would have signed Monty...

53 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think Poles loves that he got Edmonds for less than Roquan, plus a second round pick.  Plus, our running back room is better and cheaper than if he would have signed Monty...

yup. when your roster sucks there is no good reason to try to keep as many players who are decent but not great, or decent but not great in your scheme.

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yeah, the Bears basically got their entire LB corps for the price of Roquan and their entire RB room for the price of Monty. Monty was so highly regarded that Detroit used the #12 pick on a RB. Good roster decisions by Poles.

We will have to see how everything works out but on paper, Poles is getting great value maneuvering the roster build. I think he is good at player evaluation also. A lot of people question some of his draft picks but I think he knew what he was doing and will show up on the field immediately. Dexter and Pickens will get better going forward but will contribute in the rotation right away.

Justin’s throwing motion on the quick passes definitely seems to be more fluid.  It’s a very small sample size and there is no defense but in the few clips I’ve seen (in a couple places) he is getting his feet aligned much quicker.  That’s for WR screens and outlet throws both to the left and right side.  Here’s some samples:  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bears-otas-highlights-first-week-justin-fields-dj-moore/

On 5/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Jaylon Johnson said he will be there for mandatory workouts.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/jaylon-johnson-plans-be-bears-otas-next-week-after-early-absence

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

They need everyone in as soon as possible. Hopefully he doesn't become a distraction like Roquan. He was dropped to the 2nd team last year in the offseason and that generated a little drama. Hopefully none this year. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

They need everyone in as soon as possible. Hopefully he doesn't become a distraction like Roquan. He was dropped to the 2nd team last year in the offseason and that generated a little drama. Hopefully none this year. 

He is a regular guest on Parkins and Spiegel show and he seems like a good character guy.  He has played well over the years and he usually has low targets, so the lack of INT happens with fewer opportunities. He will be there to do the mandatory workouts and be working hard for his payday.  Most players shine on their contract years.

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He is a regular guest on Parkins and Spiegel show and he seems like a good character guy.  He has played well over the years and he usually has low targets, so the lack of INT happens with fewer opportunities. He will be there to do the mandatory workouts and be working hard for his payday.  Most players shine on their contract years.

He has to play to get paid so he'll show up.  Plus he's not really an elite CB to where skipping OTAs to try to force a new deal will help him, with any team.   In that "trade me" aspect Roquan had a bit more leverage to have someone come get him because his resume was better.   I suppose Jaylon could be thinking it worked out for Roquan so it can work out for him but in 3 years he's defended just 31 passes and has 1 INT.   He's a good player and a good mentor for our young CBs.  I'd really like him to have a 2nd contract with the Bears but we shouldn't overpay him.  I think everyone knows we won't overpay him... Poles MO is now well understood across the league.  Teams aren't kicking the door down to find a CB who can get them 1 INT in 3 years.   

The one trade option I could see would be a good playoff caliber team that gets hit hard with CB injuries and is willing to part with a high pick to save their playoff run.  That would also mean Jaylon is playing well and I expect Poles to be holding onto his cards this year to see what this roster is capable of.    

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

He has to play to get paid so he'll show up.  Plus he's not really an elite CB to where skipping OTAs to try to force a new deal will help him, with any team.   In that "trade me" aspect Roquan had a bit more leverage to have someone come get him because his resume was better.   I suppose Jaylon could be thinking it worked out for Roquan so it can work out for him but in 3 years he's defended just 31 passes and has 1 INT.   He's a good player and a good mentor for our young CBs.  I'd really like him to have a 2nd contract with the Bears but we shouldn't overpay him.  I think everyone knows we won't overpay him... Poles MO is now well understood across the league.  Teams aren't kicking the door down to find a CB who can get them 1 INT in 3 years.   

The one trade option I could see would be a good playoff caliber team that gets hit hard with CB injuries and is willing to part with a high pick to save their playoff run.  That would also mean Jaylon is playing well and I expect Poles to be holding onto his cards this year to see what this roster is capable of.    

yup, all of that. JJ is not worth a top tier contract, and if someone wants to overpay him, and give us meaningful draft picks to do it, I'm all for it.