OTAs

AZ54

Been looking for anything worthwhile from the media since yesterday's practice was open to them.  It was mostly the usual blah blah but today I found Wannstedt's comments to be informative.   Regardless of what we thought of his time here he had a lot of good years coaching in the NFL and has a feel for what he should be seeing on the field in these type of practices.  I'll link two videos with him because they offer different viewpoints or conversation.   At this point it seems clear the team is definitely moving in the right direction.    If you want the condensed version ... he was impressed by Jenkins and likes what he sees from Fields in terms of command of the plays.  Oh and that new guy DJ Moore ... all he does is stand out.    

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This clip is a nice play by DJ Moore with a fingertip catch.   It's just OTAs but the coverage looked good, I think it was Gordon.  More importantly Fields threw the ball into a tight window, high and away from the defender and DJ snagged it.  From this throw and some of the other reports we've had I'd hazard a guess that Fields is exploring the catch radius DJ has and trying to find out what ways he can throw him open.  Confidence has to be growing rapidly between these two. 

I'd like to see less times (or none) where Fields is patting the ball once before he throws.  DTs look for that to know when to get their hands up.  At least in this clip it's very quick but in others I've seen it's closer to half a second.  

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This clip is a nice play by DJ Moore with a fingertip catch.   It's just OTAs but the coverage looked good, I think it was Gordon.  More importantly Fields threw the ball into a tight window, high and away from the defender and DJ snagged it.  From this throw and some of the other reports we've had I'd hazard a guess that Fields is exploring the catch radius DJ has and trying to find out what ways he can throw him open.  Confidence has to be growing rapidly between these two. 

I'd like to see less times (or none) where Fields is patting the ball once before he throws.  DTs look for that to know when to get their hands up.  At least in this clip it's very quick but in others I've seen it's closer to half a second.  

Yeah that pat messes up the timing. He has to overthrow the ball to catch back up to the timing, which leads to inaccurate passes. He almost needs to practice with just one hand on the ball (like golfing with one arm). Then once that is comfortable, add the 2nd hand back in to just hold the ball more securely without the pat.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah that pat messes up the timing. He has to overthrow the ball to catch back up to the timing, which leads to inaccurate passes. He almost needs to practice with just one hand on the ball (like golfing with one arm). Then once that is comfortable, add the 2nd hand back in to just hold the ball more securely without the pat.

I bet he doesn't even realize he's doing it.  This will be extremely hard to break if he ever does.

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Would also like to see him work more on checking off his professions.  Hard to see where his eyes are with the visor on but his posture suggests he was locked onto Moore from the start.  You could see another receiver flash by in the foreground.  

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

4 hours ago, adam said:

I do think this is a real problem, and while you dont want to get a QB thinking too much about his mechanics, it does add to a long release and give defensive players a tell. Its definitely a real problem.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I do think this is a real problem, and while you dont want to get a QB thinking too much about his mechanics, it does add to a long release and give defensive players a tell. Its definitely a real problem.

We get really small samples of video but on quick throws I don't recall seeing that same hitch.  Maybe he's gotten better in some scenarios.

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Would also like to see him work more on checking off his professions.  Hard to see where his eyes are with the visor on but his posture suggests he was locked onto Moore from the start.  You could see another receiver flash by in the foreground.  

IMO there are two answers to this practice progressions.   Yes we want to see that but this is also practice, his first with a new very talented WR.  Justin needs to be exploring the limits of what he can and can't do and the best time for that is now.  To come out of OTAs only having hit the easy checkdowns or easy throws is not the best use of this time.  There will be game situations where to get a 1st down or TD that Justin has to make a tight-window throw and DJ has to catch it, or other WRs.  

Some sessions you might want to focus on the "reading of the defense", others you might want to say it's 3rd and long make a play.  The coaches have to find that balance but we're not going to know what they are asking for on any one practice rep.  

You speak a lot of truths they need to work on but my optimism is fueled by the fact Fields is the hardest working player on the team and wants to be great. I just watch a bunch of MJ highlights and Fields has some of the drive Jordon had. Also last year while growing the offense, Gresty adapted to Field's talent. This year as the offense grows, our passing will achieve new heights because our talent level will match that. The sky is the limit. Fields is going to take us a long way. Fields is a leader of men, he went to Jenkins wedding and is going to JJs  charity golf outing this weekend.  He gets people involved in the culture.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Good summary of what was seen from the rookies in OTAs and Minicamp.   There were a lot of good first impressions which bodes well since we'll be relying on many of them to contribute early.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/what-bears-rookies-showed-in-offseason-work

I think after two drafts, Poles appears to know what he's doing. I still expect Velus Jones to step forward this year and show us he was worthy of a third round pick.

The main thing that resonates with me, is that they know who the starting five on the OL are.  Looking back at last year, they didn't know until the end of camp.  It gives them a much better chance to gain continuity as a unit, as well as identify and develop much needed depth.  In addition, knowing Jones, Jenkins, Whitehair and Davis are proven to be average to plus players tells me that the unit has a chance to be great.  Adding Darnell Wright, who has the highest ceiling of all them, is icing on the cake.  

On the defensive side of the ball, I keep hearing from every outlet that Dexter and Stevenson are freaks of nature.

The more I read the more I think Dexter will be a star. Listened to his Dline coach out of Florida, he was one year removed from coaching with the Giants. The best thing that I liked he said was , put him in a phone booth and he was always come out alive. He never takes a play off and says sir every time he talks to adults. He said his daddy taught him respect. 55 tackles last year as a IDL is a lot. Jalen Carter had 32.