Monty...

Mongo3451

Disappointing comes to mind but my emotions want me to say much worse.  I've watched him as a player for 7 years and never heard him bad-mouthing other teammates or coaches like that.  HIs comments about a winning organization...well he joined Iowa State when that was a losing program and helped turn it around.  He was likely a season away from doing the same in Chicago but chose to go elsewhere.  It doesn't bother me that he took more money and went to Detroit but if he wants to go burning down bridges this will be on the bulletin board in the locker room Wk 11.   Bear Down!     

I think it comes down to expecting a bigger contract than the bears offered, so he took a slightly higher amount in Detroit. Never thought Monty was about money but I get 2 mil more is a lot of money. The problem is yielding the disrespect card doesn't fly when Detroit turned around and drafted a RB at 12. That's a kick in the sack as far as respect by Detroit.

I loved Monty's heart, the way he finishes runs always impressed me.

But the era of mediocre but loveable players is ending in Chicago, and Im ready for us to become a real football team.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I loved Monty's heart, the way he finishes runs always impressed me.

But the era of mediocre but loveable players is ending in Chicago, and Im ready for us to become a real football team.

I'll always have a soft spot in my football heart for the Jack Sanborns/David Montgomery types.  You need guys like that to fill out a winning roster (Hillenmeyer, Kwiatkoski, Suhey, Sherrick McManis).  What we don't need is that they are our best players.   

9 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'll always have a soft spot in my football heart for the Jack Sanborns/David Montgomery types.  You need guys like that to fill out a winning roster (Hillenmeyer, Kwiatkoski, Suhey, Sherrick McManis).  What we don't need is that they are our best players.   

Exactly. I love the Rudys.

And I'll also take a monster with a ton of talent instead all day long.

But like you said, you need both to fill out a roster, and these kind of effort and attitude guys on special teams, strong side LB and slot WR type positions can be really fun. I'm thinking of Tom Waddle right now too.

And as we are talking about this, Poles seems to be looking for this kind of attitude in all his acquisitions and draft choices, even if they are also high RAS and production. Building a team with character. I have a feeling that as the talent level on our roster increases, we will start to appreciate Eberflus' HITS culture even more too.

This is so much fun to watch.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Exactly. I love the Rudys.

And I'll also take a monster with a ton of talent instead all day long.

But like you said, you need both to fill out a roster, and these kind of effort and attitude guys on special teams, strong side LB and slot WR type positions can be really fun. I'm thinking of Tom Waddle right now too.

And as we are talking about this, Poles seems to be looking for this kind of attitude in all his acquisitions and draft choices, even if they are also high RAS and production. Building a team with character. I have a feeling that as the talent level on our roster increases, we will start to appreciate Eberflus' HITS culture even more too.

This is so much fun to watch.

I agree - this whole regime just feels different than really any regime in my lifetime (I was in diapers in 85 so I don’t count that). 

Just feels like they got the right combo and we will see something special and sustainable in Chicago! 

I still find it funny that Monty says that after playing in college on a team that ended up .500 when he was there, and even though he played hard for the Bears, never really produced many explosive plays. Then he goes to a team that may have paid him more than the Bears offered, but then got immediately bumped down the depth chart after they drafted an RB in the first round.

This year we added the top drafted running for having missed tackles. Johnson, he will eventually show up and that will change the RB room. I suspect Foreman gets the start with Herbert doing his thing. They will not turn the job over easily but Johnson will be the man as the season progresses.

To be honest his attitude surprises me. I think he expected a bigger pay check and  took Lions offer instead to spit the Bears. I think the bears offer was similar but expected more. The Lions have a good upside but drafted a starter in the first round. Monty will get the start but will be a backup by years end. The Bears win total will surpass the Lions because of the upside of Fields. He made a bad decision but was lucky for us because our RB room is better.

I think its similar to the way they used Williams last year. Red zone carries,  because Swift was hurt a lot , Williams got way more carries than expected. I suspect 8-10 carries for Monty and 15-20 for Gibbs. I think last year was normality , passing so much because of being behind. They want to be more of a running team if their defense can keep them in games.

On 6/9/2023 at 8:42 AM, Stinger226 said:

I think its similar to the way they used Williams last year. Red zone carries,  because Swift was hurt a lot , Williams got way more carries than expected. I suspect 8-10 carries for Monty and 15-20 for Gibbs. I think last year was normality , passing so much because of being behind. They want to be more of a running team if their defense can keep them in games.

That’s a huge deviation from starter reps Stinger!

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree, he made a bad decision.

At this point in his career I don't blame him for taking the most money he can get even if that means being a backup.  RBs get one shot at it.  He may get cut in a 2-3 years but then might hang around the league for another 1-2 seasons at best.   If he gets them those last couple years will be much closer to vet minimum deals, or perhaps $2-3mil/yr.   Ironically to maximize his earnings from this point on he likely needs less snaps to lengthen his career.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

At this point in his career I don't blame him for taking the most money he can get even if that means being a backup.  RBs get one shot at it.  He may get cut in a 2-3 years but then might hang around the league for another 1-2 seasons at best.   If he gets them those last couple years will be much closer to vet minimum deals, or perhaps $2-3mil/yr.   Ironically to maximize his earnings from this point on he likely needs less snaps to lengthen his career.  

RBs nowadays get one big contract after their rookie deal (if they are lucky). Monty will more than likely play 1-2 yrs on this deal, then a few 1-yr deals until he is done by 30.  That is the career arch for most of these guys. He will be 27 this year, and 28 is the wall. At 29, production is cut in half, and at 30 in half again. It keeps halving after that until 33.

Dalvin Cook is a perfect example, he will be 28 this year, so this is it for him. 

He is a football player. Worked hard, played hard got a descent contract. Hope he does well but not when we play Detroit. Unfortunately his bloom is off the rose and will end up  in a secondary role. I'm calling as least 2 of our RBs will have more yds this year than Monty. If we win the division I will be happy to tweet him that he picked the wrong winning team. He should have trusted Justin.