Bears minicamps this (and next) weekend

CrackerDog

name='jason' date='May 8 2013, 05:22 PM' post='122073']

As I've stated before, we should be more critical with an unproven staff. Not more optimistic. Trust is earned.

Kinda disagree. I think I get what you are saying, but think critical is, well, a little critical. I think the fan in us wants to be optimistic, but the armchair analist prefers to be skepticle. There will growing pains through the process until the WR's and Cutler get in sync and the OL gels.

Whether or not a coach gives a player a chance on ability or not is sort of a red herring, because ultimately it still comes down to performance. Love and staff may have, ignorantly, believed Webb was a good player. Maybe their OL evaluation skills were just horrible? Given the status of the OL over the last 5-6 years that could be entirely possible. Did they think they were doing what was best for the team to win? Of course. Did it result in the necessary wins? Well, neither are with Chicago. I don't think any coach actively submarines their own team, but that doesn't make them oracles of all football decisions. They can F up too...we should know, we saw Lovie do plenty of it.
I think a lot of things went wrong with Lovie and company. Mainly falling in love with players before the pads come on.

Nope. I would be a moron to judge kroner based on a player he has inherited. I'll judge him based on what he does on OUR line as a whole. What he's done in the past doesn't matter. Its what he does with us

What do you mean, "player he has inherited?" He was a coach in NO and they developed the hell out of their OL, and he should get a lot of the credit. De La Puente, Bushrod, and Nicks all turned out to be good or great players. Even here, he's going to "inherit" players because he's going to have little or no say in what OL they draft or sign. Essentially, Trestman and Emery are going to draft players and it'll be his job to get the most out of them.

I agree in that I could no longer care about what he did in NO, but I'd be more optimistic with his track record than someone who was the OL coach where they had a poor offense and/or a poor OL.

What do you mean, "player he has inherited?" He was a coach in NO and they developed the hell out of their OL, and he should get a lot of the credit. De La Puente, Bushrod, and Nicks all turned out to be good or great players. Even here, he's going to "inherit" players because he's going to have little or no say in what OL they draft or sign. Essentially, Trestman and Emery are going to draft players and it'll be his job to get the most out of them.

I agree in that I could no longer care about what he did in NO, but I'd be more optimistic with his track record than someone who was the OL coach where they had a poor offense and/or a poor OL.

I am optimistic but I'm also holding off judgement til he proves his worth here. I was basically telling SCS that I'm not going yo pass judgment based solely on 1 player than the entire staff here has inherited. I am very optimistic but then again most of us were on tice as well and u see where that has gotten us. I like that emery has provided kromer with plenty of options and a lot of talent but I guess u can call it gun shy so to say after watching what has happened to this group in the past 5-6 yrs

Well we supposedly have one of the best OL coaches in football and if he says that Carimi is strictly an OG then I'll take his word for it. I also can't imagine them not giving him an opportunity to compete for the RT position, esp with Long and Slausson being close to locks at OG IMO.

They said the same thing about Tice, and he was horrible.

Kinda disagree. I think I get what you are saying, but think critical is, well, a little critical. I think the fan in us wants to be optimistic, but the armchair analist prefers to be skepticle. There will growing pains through the process until the WR's and Cutler get in sync and the OL gels.

I think a lot of things went wrong with Lovie and company. Mainly falling in love with players before the pads come on.

I'm not skeptical because I'm an arm-chair analyst. I'm skeptical because I'm a Bears fan. Until proven otherwise, skepticism should be expected.

Regarding Lovie and the pads...I believe that may very well be a true statement.

I'm not skeptical because I'm an arm-chair analyst. I'm skeptical because I'm a Bears fan. Until proven otherwise, skepticism should be expected.

Regarding Lovie and the pads...I believe that may very well be a true statement.

We do have special rights as Bears fans!

You might want to read the stories about Kyle Long's visit to Halas Hall and who he spent the most time with. I think Kromer's opinion on Oline prospects was extremely important to both Emery and Trestman.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJ72AgCCcAAXPxo.jpg:large

That is pretty dope! I wonder how many other teams do that? The film they get with that should be a good teaching tool. You can really learn what the QB sees and how the receivers make their cuts which should be helpful in a WCO where you wanna get that ball out right as they're making their cut.

You might want to read the stories about Kyle Long's visit to Halas Hall and who he spent the most time with. I think Kromer's opinion on Oline prospects was extremely important to both Emery and Trestman.

Oh, so the offensive lineman spent time with the offensive line coach? That's strange. I'm surprised they didn't let him spend time with Jon Hoke.

Oh, so the offensive lineman spent time with the offensive line coach? That's strange. I'm surprised they didn't let him spend time with Jon Hoke.

You said Kromer's opinion wasn't valued in the draft process. I disagree and feel the fact he spent so much time with Kyle Long indicates he played the key role in Oline draft decisions...not the final vote but a key role. Don't you think if Trestman was keeping this decision for himself he'd have put more time into the interview with Kyle Long? My experience has been that when managers want more input in hiring decisions they invest more time in the interview process.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJ72AgCCcAAXPxo.jpg:large

That is pretty dope! I wonder how many other teams do that? The film they get with that should be a good teaching tool. You can really learn what the QB sees and how the receivers make their cuts which should be helpful in a WCO where you wanna get that ball out right as they're making their cut.

From 2011...

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/...nshipId=3923386

• 4 weeks later...
A first-year player who has turned heads in OTAs/minicamps:

Chicago Bears: Linebacker Jon Bostic, a second-round draft pick from Florida, has proved far enough along that he has been calling defensive signals at middle linebacker with the second team during spring practices. That's a key component for young linebackers. A lot can change once the pads come on for training camp, but at the very least, Bostic is positioning himself to be the next linebacker on the field if anything happens to starters Lance Briggs, D.J. Williams or James Anderson.

ESPN