If I were Angelo, Lovie and Turner

Noots

If I were Turner, Angelo, Lovie...regarding Rex

Quite honestly, I think they really should cut the cord...but let's put that thought aside and pretend for a moment Rex is re-signed, and the starter.

1. JA needs to rebuild the line. I would look to add two new linemen this year, and they'd need to be extremely strong run blockers at the point of attack. I guess I'd try to find guys that Rex could see over without sacrificing pass blocking ability due to short arms. LOL.

2. Ron Turner needs to do a couple of things to get Rex back on track, from a schematic perspective. I'm not saying this is ALL he should do, just that I didn't see much of this and it needs to be "in the mix".

.....A. More designed cut blocks for the OL, especially on the 3 step drops. Those 3 steppers are the bread and butter plays that the good teams use to move the chains and get 7-10 yds regularly. Rex seems to only hit the very outside stuff on them, and ocassionally a fade. He's gotta pick up the middle of the field, especially the TE and the slot guy cutting across. It's going to be easier if we're taking people's legs out. Everyone else does it. Why don't we do more of it?

.....B. More shotgun. I don't subscribe to more shotgun as a panacea. However, in Rex's case, the additional distance gives him a better opportunity to see.

.....C. More running plays (do we have ANY?) from the shotgun. I believe we need to step up to the current ways of attack, having designed runs from the shotgun, and I don't just mean the draw. I mean running a shotgun spread with a back on each hip that you can toss to, criss cross in the backfield, run stretch plays and especially designed cutbacks like other teams are doing to our defense. If the defense KNOWS we're gonna pass only from the shotgun, they're going to kill us with blitzes.

.....D. More draw plays. It was nice to see some well run screens to AP and Wolfe in the second half of the year. What's missing to keep teams honest is a few more draw plays. Not a ton, but a few. Teams are doing this to us a bunch as well. You won't get good at them until you run some.

3. Better run to pass ratio. Too much passing overall this past year. Sure, our running game was pretty anemic in ypc, but there were plenty of games where we saw no comittment to running, even when it was working. Heck, Turner had a real problem with sticking to a script instead of sticking to what's working in the flow of the game. If it means delaying getting carries to the second or third string back, so be it. Grossman can be very effective as a play action QB, and defenses aren't gonna be buyin what he's sellin if they don't actually run the ball. Those last two games, the Bears showed a much better comittment to running the ball, and Orton was the benefactor, and the end results were wins over a team on its way to the NFC Championship and another who was playing us with it's playoff life at stake. They were meaningful games in that sense, no doubt. It was OUR playoffs, and the team stepped up.

4. I don't care where you find him, but I'd look to get a real slobberknocker at FB. McKie's a nice enough guy and all, he's a decent player, but I'd like to see a difference maker at the position. Being able to catch the ball is important, but to me, the first priority is to be that sledgehammer who can lead the RB to 1,000 yard seasons. If we can't get that, I just don't see how McKie sees the field, especially when we're going to be going to more 2 TE sets because it's CLEAR TO EVERYONE that Olsen and Clark are the two best receivers on this team (unless Berrian returns). Between those two guys, and then Gilly the blocking TE, I just don't see how we can validate reps for McKie.

Great post. Agree with most of what you said. As for Rex, IMO after JA came out and said "there will be competition at quarterback" for the first time since Rex's rookie year . . . Rex ain't getting much love from us. I'd be shocked if he returned.

1. JA needs to rebuild the line. I would look to add two new linemen this year, and they'd need to be extremely strong run blockers at the point of attack. I guess I'd try to find guys that Rex could see over without sacrificing pass blocking ability due to short arms. LOL.

That's great in theory, but I can't imagine we'll spend the money to sign TWO extremely strong run blockers and whoever we draft will likely sit a year.

Rex seems to only hit the very outside stuff on them, and ocassionally a fade. He's gotta pick up the middle of the field, especially the TE and the slot guy cutting across. It's going to be easier if we're taking people's legs out. Everyone else does it. Why don't we do more of it?

Isn't that because Rex can't see over the big d-linemen who know if they go at him with there hands up they've got a good chance of tipping it?

.....C. More running plays (do we have ANY?) from the shotgun. I believe we need to step up to the current ways of attack, having designed runs from the shotgun, and I don't just mean the draw. I mean running a shotgun spread with a back on each hip that you can toss to, criss cross in the backfield, run stretch plays and especially designed cutbacks like other teams are doing to our defense. If the defense KNOWS we're gonna pass only from the shotgun, they're going to kill us with blitzes.

The problem I see is the other team kills with blitzes anyway. You can get away with this if your Brady or Manning, but it looks like a damn jailbreak coming at the QB when we use the shot gun. Until we establish an intimidating pass game, our running back will get dropped quickly on that play.

3. Better run to pass ratio. Too much passing overall this past year. Sure, our running game was pretty anemic in ypc, but there were plenty of games where we saw no comittment to running, even when it was working. Heck, Turner had a real problem with sticking to a script instead of sticking to what's working in the flow of the game.

Agreed. I wonder if Turner wants to be a "run-first" offense. I hear Lovie & JA talking about "getting off the bus running" but not Turner.

4. I don't care where you find him, but I'd look to get a real slobberknocker at FB.

If that's the case we should resign John Gilmore and play him at full-back. For whatever reason, we want our FB's to be receiver's 1st, and blockers 2nd.

6'1" is the absolute minimum for an nfl quarterback in my estimation. this minimum size has to come with needed qualifiers to be a successful nfl qb... mainly athleticism. the ability to move out of the pocket, scramble to find open passing lanes and become at LEAST a minor threat to run for first downs.

this is one of grossman's major physical downfalls. he has almost no escape abilities. so what happens with a short pocket qb with these traits? the problems we have consistently seen over his tenure in chicago.

can lack of size and speed be overcome? i would say 'possible' but in rare instances. using the shotgun a lot more than we have would certainly have helped along with a good running attack.

so do we gamble and sign him to another contract? the injury to rex this season was just another nail in the coffin as to durability. as mcmahon proved, even good qb's are not worth it if they are always injured.

the only way i would sign grossman is if he signs a very cap friendly contract AND if i thought this coaching staff would give orton a real shot at the starting job. a REAL level playing field to determine our starter. in my opinion griese is not our future qb so he drops to number 3 if we can't cut him and save cap dollars.

the problem is, i don't feel this will ever happen. this coaching staff reminds me a lot of past coaching staffs in their loyalty to certain players whether they deserve it or not. maybe too, they will end up on the same scrap heap for it.