Noots' Notes: Clark and Olsen and hmm...

Noots

Nice write up as always, but there is one thing I have to criticize (which IMO is more interesting then commenting on things I agree with :) )

"Oh, and now Desmond Clark was just brought back. Desmond Clark? The guy who spent much of last year on the inactive list? Yeah, that Desmond Clark. The guy who had 40 or more receptions in 3 of the previous 4 seasons as a Bear. Desmond Clark, who blocks better than Olsen and is a better all-around tight end than Kellen Davis. Comparing Clark to that other tight end, the fat guy who’s initials are appropriately B.M. is a joke.

Back to Martz and Angelo. Jerry Angelo told us point blank in his interview this week that Olsen approached him last offseason for a trade, but that it was too late in the preseason to make it happen and get value. He credited Olsen for taking the high road and playing well all season. That’s nice. So, if there were less than 50 receptions to go around to your tight ends, and you knew that you’ve got a player that wants to go…would you want to keep a player that wants to be elsewhere? Faced with all of that, and knowing there was only one legitimate player who could have taken receptions away from Olsen, doesn’t it only make sense to ensure Olsen gets as many of those passes as possible to put up numbers to give him the greatest value?"

I'm confused. First off, rumor is we tried to trade Olsen but didn't get a deal we liked, paticularly with New England.

Secondly, don't you play the best player? Olsen has some big time catches, and is better then the 34 year old Dez Clark.

We got a probable very high 3rd round pick for Olsen, which ain't bad for a TE on the last year of his deal. We essentially replaced him with Roy Williams as our big WR, and added Spaeth, who is a better blocker. Dez Clark will likely be inactive again most of the season. I'm not sure what your complaint is.

It is no complaint, it's something that makes you go hmm...

Play the best player? Can you argue that BM was a better player? Even as a blocker? We could argue a bit on K. Davis, and getting him up to speed, etc, but at the time, Clark was the better all around player. My argument here is that Clark was the only significant threat to Olsen's reception total last year, and as a consequence, was neatly tucked away on the bench after he dropped that TD pass. As if he were a rookie who still needed to prove himself, or a malcontent who was a cancer. None of those apply to him. He was put on a shelf so the Bears could do all they could to maximize the trade value of Greg Olsen.