Fargas resigns with Oakland

bradjock

I thought he'd be in the mix for running backs the Bears hope to bring in for competition (Translation: To replace the overpaid asswhipe who started the season for us this year)

Although I'm surprised he signed this early and for this cheap. It gives me hope that a guy like Julius Jones will be "inexpensive." Here's the story from PFT.:

"After generating only 1,016 yards in four full seasons with the Raiders, running back Justin Fargas busted out in 2007, nearly equaling that totaling 14 games, with seven starts.

For that, Fargas has been rewarded with a new contract. According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, it's a three-year, $12 million deal with $6 million in guaranteed money.

Fargas was a third-round pick in the 2003 draft. He was scheduled to become a free agent on February 29. "

Am I missing something here? What's the rule on this FA stuff? Players can sign with their 2007-2008 teams before other teams can get a shot at them?

Also, answer this one for me b/c I missed it in a previous thread- if we cut Moose, do we still have to pay him by buying him out, or what?

Am I missing something here? What's the rule on this FA stuff? Players can sign with their 2007-2008 teams before other teams can get a shot at them?

Also, answer this one for me b/c I missed it in a previous thread- if we cut Moose, do we still have to pay him by buying him out, or what?

He is still under contract with Oakland until the end of this month. Until then, they can negotiate and sign him to a contract while no other team can. Once March 1st comes, he can sign with anyone.

If we cut Moose, we do not have to pay him but his signing bonus counts against our cap.

Peace :bears

He is still under contract with Oakland until the end of this month. Until then, they can negotiate and sign him to a contract while no other team can. Once March 1st comes, he can sign with anyone.

If we cut Moose, we do not have to pay him but his signing bonus counts against our cap.

Peace :bears

Alright, I see now. So really, we can negotiate right now with BB?

We can also negotitate w/ Booker. And if we cut Moose today, he could talk to other teams before the start of FA.

There is a rule in FA that a veteran of "X" number of seasons who is cut prior to the start of FA, can talk w/ and sign w/ a team prior to the start of FA. Basically, it's a rule thrown in there for the older vets. It's also the rule that allowed us to sign Moose in the first place. Carolina cut him prior to the start of FA, and we then signed him, again, still before FA began. Booker falls into that same category, as he meets the veteran requirement.