Some numbers on Alex Brown

nfoligno

From the Sun Times,

Brown will arrive from Puerto Rico today to sign the contract, which will pay him $5 million up front with salaries of $5 million in 2010 and $5.5 million in 2011.

Brown was due to get $500k base this year, but that just went up to $5m. The report says he also gets another $5m up front, which could be a signing bonus or roster bonus. Unknown at this time.

He was also due a $600k (other bonus). He also still had (I think) around $1m due in bonus allocation from his original signing bonus.

If it was a SB, then his cap hit jumps up to around $8.5m. If it was a roster bonus, his cap hit jumps to around $11m. Both of these are not counting the $600k "other bonus".

This is pretty significant, as Brown was due to hit our cap for around $2m, but will now cost better than 4 or 5 times that much, depending on how the $5m up front is laid out.

So while we created more cap space yesterday, we also used up much of the space we saved w/ the Brown extension.

Sorry, but I am responding to myself as I realized the error in my math. Brown was given an "extension" of two years. So he is now locked up for 4 more seasons, while I was doing math for only two.

So he got $5m (likely SB) which will be spread out over the next 4 years. $1.25m cap hit per year. His $5m and $5.5m base salaries are not until 2010 and 2011, so his 2008 salary is not affected by those increases.

His 2008 base salary does not appear changed, so the end result is likely a simple increase of $1.25m to his 2008 cap charge. Thus Brown will hit our cap for around $3.5m or so. The cap charge for his final two years will be significantly higher, and closer to the numbers I listed before, but his cap hits this year and next are not significantly greater.

Sorry for the F up.

From the Sun Times,

Brown was due to get $500k base this year, but that just went up to $5m. The report says he also gets another $5m up front, which could be a signing bonus or roster bonus. Unknown at this time.

He was also due a $600k (other bonus). He also still had (I think) around $1m due in bonus allocation from his original signing bonus.

If it was a SB, then his cap hit jumps up to around $8.5m. If it was a roster bonus, his cap hit jumps to around $11m. Both of these are not counting the $600k "other bonus".

This is pretty significant, as Brown was due to hit our cap for around $2m, but will now cost better than 4 or 5 times that much, depending on how the $5m up front is laid out.

So while we created more cap space yesterday, we also used up much of the space we saved w/ the Brown extension.

Nfo - Here's how it looks now:

New $5 mil SB (I'm positive it's a SB because we can't spare the room otherwise) with a proration of 1.25 mil per year

2008 Salary 605k + old proration 916k + new proration $1.25 mil = cap hit $2.771 mil

Don't worry about the "other bonus". That probably got replaced with the $5 mil SB. The $5 mil salaries are in 2010 and 2011.