To tag Berrian, or not to tag Berrian

nfoligno

I agree. I hope they have something else in mind. Going to training camp with a guy who is not a true wr yet and another guy who has hardly played would be ridiculous.

I'd feel better if they resign Berrian, but I don't think they will pay him what he can command via FA. Unless he is there main target in FA.

If they don't resign him the better do something. Faneca, Turner, we need a lot of help. Depth at RB is an issue, the Oline is an issue, WR would obvously be an issue. Who is out there for us to get via free agency? Stallworth? You'd probably have to pay him almost as much as Berrian.

I know we have to let this all play out, but I'm not very optimistic. If they sign basically nobody...can you say rebuilding?!

My hope is for one of two things.

(a) That we believe, whatever Berrian's market will be, we can still re-sign him. I said all along he would hit FA, as he would not re-sign w/ us before checking out the market. Maybe this is similar to when we allowed Kreutz to hit the market, w/ the intention all along of re-signing him.

(B) That we have our sights set on another one, or couple, WRs. It will make me sick if we enter camp w/ Hester and Bradley set to be our starters. Sorry, but in all honestly, neither should enter camp as a starter. If they earn the spot, fine, but if we enter camp w/ either as our best option, then we have done our QB (whoever that will be) no favors.

I can say "rebuild" but can Angelo?

One of the biggest issues I have w/ the WR situation is the QB situation. If we had a great QB, I could better deal w/ having less at WR, as a great QB can make WRs look better than they are, especially if we upgrade the OL to provide WRs time to run routes, and the QB time in the pocket.

But we do not have a great QB. We "might" bring back Rex, but how much can we expect from Rex if we do not provide him w/ solid WRs. IMHO, expectations can only go down w/ Orton. I mean, can we truly expect much of Orton if he has no one to throw to?

IMHO, the first thing we need to do is improve the OL, and that is one area I think will happen. I honestly believe we are going to go hard after Faneca. Then, I think we use our top pick on an OT. While it may not work, I think we try the rookie, who will play next to Faneca, at LT and move Tait to RT. That move should also benefit Garza. So the OL improves all around.

But we can not stop the improvements there. There is absolutely no way we can head into the season w/ Berrian and Bradley are our starters. Allow them to compete, fine, but no way we go into the season w/ those two as the best options.

I think signing Booker should be done. While he will not cost the vet minimum, he will not be "that" expensive, while he could at the same time become the QBs best friend. He isn't a playmaker, but a chain mover, and that is something our QBs need.

You mention Stallworth, and I think that is a possibility. He is not going to be cheap, but will not get Berrian money either. I think one thing teams may look at is his play this last year. He was on an elite offense, and still didn't put up big numbers. He is a deep threat, but inconsistent on the field, and off due to injuries. So i think his price drops, but at the same time, he would provide a prime compliment for Booker. At the same time, he should not cost so much that he would hinder the development of Hester and Bradley if they are ready for a move up.

Then there is the QB issue. I think it is obvious the staff wants to re-sign Rex. I personally think he could have a greater market than some expect, and further believe that if we are not quick enough to add more at WR, he would have little reason to re-sign w/ us.

Either way, I think we draft a QB, maybe as high as the 2nd round. If we re-sign Rex, it will likely be a one year deal, and if we draft a QB too, we cut Griese. If we do not re-sign Rex, then Griese and Orton battle for the start while the rookie develops.