White flag for 2008?

ASHKUM BEAR

It's been said on the radio 670 the Score that the Bears are not pursuing any big name free agents. This thought angers me b/c IMO we are still close to being a playoff/superbowl contender team. So remembering the Bears recent history with Angelo saying we will be active in FA or not, he is usually honest about which way there going. With that said my conclusion is:

1. We lose Briggs and Berrian in FA without signing significant FA contracts we gain possibly two 3rd round compensation picks in 2008.

2. Our draft board is: RD1=Brohm QB/Mendenhall RB both positions need a new franchise player

- I look for the Bears to trade up to the lower 1st round to grab another top need QB/RB/OLT/WR if another targeted player is available.

-As much as I'd love Mendenhall, getting a top QB should be a higher priority

3. We extend the rest of our guys that we want around for the next 2-4 years (Harris, Urlacher,Hester,Gould, etc)

4. We cross our fingers that the guys we have for 2008 can carry us again into the playoffs, but the plan is to be rebuilt for 2009.

This is not what I want to see, but a theory to why we will not go after any big name FA's (Faneca,Turner, etc)

Our 2008 mock draft

1a. Brohm QB

1b. Baker OT

2 . traded

3a. traded

3b. Jordy Nelson WR

4 . K. Smith RB

5. traded

6. traded

7. Caleb Campbell SS Army

FA's brought in: David Patton WR, Justin Smiley G, C.C. Brown SS

2009 mock

1. Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia, Michael Oher OLT

It's been said on the radio 670 the Score that the Bears are not pursuing any big name free agents. This thought angers me b/c IMO we are still close to being a playoff/superbowl contender team.

Well that's your first mistake right there: listening to the Score.

So remembering the Bears recent history with Angelo saying we will be active in FA or not, he is usually honest about which way there going.

I thought it was the Score saying that they aren't pursuing free agents and not Angelo. As far as I know, Angelo hasn't said squat beyond wanting to sign our own guys.

With that said my conclusion is:

1. We lose Briggs and Berrian in FA without signing significant FA contracts we gain possibly two 3rd round compensation picks in 2008.

If we lose out on Briggs and Berrian, I would think that we would pursue some FAs. Also, the comp picks would be in 2009.

2. Our draft board is: RD1=Brohm QB/Mendenhall RB both positions need a new franchise player

- I look for the Bears to trade up to the lower 1st round to grab another top need QB/RB/OLT/WR if another targeted player is available.

-As much as I'd love Mendenhall, getting a top QB should be a higher priority

I seriously doubt we're taking a QB OR RB in rd 1 and I seriously doubt Angelo even considers a trade up. If neither Grossman nor Orton step up and show that they deserve to be the future QB this year, they will take one early next year with Orton as starter next year. I'm pretty sure the front office blames the Oline for the lack of production at RB last year and any new RB will either be drafted in a later round, or be a 2nd tier free agent. There's just no reason to invest in the position so highly when it was our Oline letting our RBs get hit in the backfield last year.

3. We extend the rest of our guys that we want around for the next 2-4 years (Harris, Urlacher,Hester,Gould, etc)

I don't think Harris is going to get a new deal. He appears to want money based on how well he plays in the first half of a season which I don't think Angelo will cave to. I see him franchised next year. I don't see Urlacher getting a new deal unless Briggs walks. If Briggs walks, we can afford it. Hester would be nuts to sign a new deal now. He's worth more after next season if he can prove to be a threat at WR. Gould's extension isn't going to cost that much. We will still have plenty of cap space.

4. We cross our fingers that the guys we have for 2008 can carry us again into the playoffs, but the plan is to be rebuilt for 2009.
That's not Angelo's plan unless he gets Briggs and Berrian both signed. Even then, I expect some 2nd tier FA signings.

This is not what I want to see, but a theory to why we will not go after any big name FA's (Faneca,Turner, etc)

Our 2008 mock draft

1a. Brohm QB

1b. Baker OT

2 . traded

3a. traded

3b. Jordy Nelson WR

4 . K. Smith RB

5. traded

6. traded

7. Caleb Campbell SS Army

FA's brought in: David Patton WR, Justin Smiley G, C.C. Brown SS

LOL I find it funny that you say that Angelo's gonna stand pat with the guys on our roster, but have us signing 3 FAs there. Also, forget the trades.

Well that's your first mistake right there: listening to the Score.

This is not what I want, but just a theory b/c word on the street....the Bears aren't going after BIG names. It was said on the score, but here is a link (Tribune) Chicago Tribune

I thought it was the Score saying that they aren't pursuing free agents and not Angelo. As far as I know, Angelo hasn't said squat beyond wanting to sign our own guys.

What I meant here was, in previous years the rumor was we are going after big names, and we sign Tait & Moose. Then the rumor was we are not pursuing any big FA's like in 07 and our biggest move was the Arch trade. I should have used the rumors, Angelo hasn't said anything publicly, but the rumors have been pretty close.

If we lose out on Briggs and Berrian, I would think that we would pursue some FAs. Also, the comp picks would be in 2009.

I didn't say we wouldn't pursue any FA's at all, just not the BIG names (Faneca). And your right I meant 2009.

I seriously doubt we're taking a QB OR RB in rd 1 and I seriously doubt Angelo even considers a trade up. If neither Grossman nor Orton step up and show that they deserve to be the future QB this year, they will take one early next year with Orton as starter next year. I'm pretty sure the front office blames the Oline for the lack of production at RB last year and any new RB will either be drafted in a later round, or be a 2nd tier free agent. There's just no reason to invest in the position so highly when it was our Oline letting our RBs get hit in the backfield last year.

If the Bears had higher regards for Grossman or Orton, they would have signed them longer. The one year deals assure the Bears have a starter for this year and shows we will be looking for a QB pretty high. Orton may be capable, but he'll never bring anything special to the QB position, so I see it as we draft a future QB this year and let him compete next with Kyle.

As for RB, I really don't want to see us picking one until the third or later, but you never know now that Benson could be hurt longer than expected.

I don't think Harris is going to get a new deal. He appears to want money based on how well he plays in the first half of a season which I don't think Angelo will cave to. I see him franchised next year. I don't see Urlacher getting a new deal unless Briggs walks. If Briggs walks, we can afford it. Hester would be nuts to sign a new deal now. He's worth more after next season if he can prove to be a threat at WR. Gould's extension isn't going to cost that much. We will still have plenty of cap space.

My theory is that Briggs walks, so we would want to extend Urlacher and try for Hester. As for Harris, I hope his motivation isn't purely money and being the highest paid defensive player b/c he is not even the best defensive player on the Bears. If he stays healthy and productive consistantly then I can see it but he hasn't done that yet. Gould won't cost much, but sign him now before Minny screws us on another kicker making us pay more than we planned(Edinger).

That's not Angelo's plan unless he gets Briggs and Berrian both signed. Even then, I expect some 2nd tier FA signings.

LOL I find it funny that you say that Angelo's gonna stand pat with the guys on our roster, but have us signing 3 FAs there. Also, forget the trades.

Once again, I said BIG FA names, not that he won't sign any FA's. As for the trades, if we dont' draft OLT with our first and take a QB, don't be surprised if we don't trade up if a Albert or Baker are in reach.

This was just a theory. Like I said "this is not what I want to see", but after hearing the rumor that we will not be pursuing BIG name FA, I was wondering why and thought maybe we are "white flagging" it this year.

It may seem laughable, but the team needs offensive play makers.

If the report earlier was true on Benson, then we are stuck with a Broken Benson, AP, and Wolfe at RB. No matter how good your line is, those players won't help you win games. A fix will be needed this year, either through FA or the draft. The seriousness of Benson's injury will dictate the type of fix needed.

Turner loves Mendenhall, and if Benson is done, he may want him as a replacement.

Grossman had a good line in 2006. After a good first month, he almost played himself out of the job that year. That eventually lead to him getting pulled after 3 games this year. His career QB rating is 70.9. I'm not trying to start the next Rex debate, just saying depending on him being the future is irresponsible. They have shown this in offering only a one year deal. Orton hasn't did anything to thrust himself into the role of future QB.

If this is truelly the make or break year for Grossman, a quarter back will be needed for the year after this. It usually takes a couple years for a QB to be ready to start, so now would be the time to draft that QB. Historically the first round has produced the most "franchise" quarterbacks, so I think that's a viable option.

The release of Moose and possible loss of Berrian leaves the Bears super thin at WR. They are left with Bradley, Hester and Hass. Davis is a free agent himself.

Bradley was burried for most of last season in the depth chart due to Hester moving to WR. He has a history of injuries and has not really done anything outside of a few plays early in his career. Hester, while an explosive kick returner, had problems with the transition to WR last season. There would be times when you would see people shouting at him to line up in the right spot. WR needs addressed in FA and the draft bad.

OL needs fixing. You know that. I know that. I won't talk about it much, other then saying JA has made decent budget FA signings to fill the line and it worked. He has never drafted a good OL, and hasn't drafted one in the first day since Columbo to the best of my knowledge.

Draftee OL'men won't fix the line the first year. That is unless they play out of their minds. It has happened, and may happen more then the other positions mentioned other then RB, but it's still not likely.

There's not going to be a fix for the offense next year. I don't see what they could do to break the first half of the league honestly. When you need a QB, a couple starting WR's, a starting rb, and some linemen, you're in a bad situation for a couple years atleast. The best position on the offense is TE, and neither are probowl caliber at this point in their respective careers.

That's still ignoring defense that's losing Briggs, needs a couple starting safeties, and do we have someone beside Harris?

If we do not go the best OT with our first round pick, we are the dumbest franchise in the history of the world.

I hear ya, I want OLT myself. This was just a theory on what the Bears might be thinking.

I laugh when you guys say QB/RB/WR with the first rounder.

I personally want OLT also. This was only a theory (a thought on what if) if the Bears do "white flag" the season. In that case, a franchise QB may be their priority

WE NEED TO DRAFT LINEMEN!!!!!!!!!

Amen

If we dont, then I dont care what QB and/or RB we have, we will not be good offensively.

I could see us doing something like this: trade our 2nd this year and our 1st next year to a team like Denver and getting Ryan Clady at 12 and Mendehall at 14.

1. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

1. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

3. Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State

3. Chilo Rachel, OG, USC

4. Quinten Demps, S, UTEP

5. Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego

6. Barry Richardson, T, Clemson

7. Maurice Purify, WR, Nebraska

I'd loooove this.