Derek Anderson off the market

Da Bears 88

Derek Anderson has agreed to a multiyear contract to stay with the Browns. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that it is for three years, with $14 million guaranteed.

Anderson may have given up short-term money to stay, but his best chance for a long career and another big payday soon was to stay. He is only one year older than Brady Quinn and would put himself in great position with another Pro Bowl quality year. This is good news for Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, and the Browns skill players.

The Browns will probably say he isn't, and it is only a 3-year deal, but iirc there were rumors that his agent would demand a trade if Anderson resigned. Wait and see. But, man, that would be my dream scenario.

But we'd probably have to give up our 1st for Quinn, and if not, then probably a 2nd AND a 3rd.

You want us to give up a 1st, or a 2nd and a 3rd? I listed both as options and you said done?

I'd do either deal. Going by the trade value chart, I guess I'd prefer the 2nd + 3rd, with a trade down from our first round pick to recoup something. But I don't honestly think the Browns will trade Quinn, and if they do, I'm almost sure they'll demand a 1st. But I'd give that up for Quinn.

I'd do either deal. Going by the trade value chart, I guess I'd prefer the 2nd + 3rd, with a trade down from our first round pick to recoup something. But I don't honestly think the Browns will trade Quinn, and if they do, I'm almost sure they'll demand a 1st. But I'd give that up for Quinn.

It actually makes some sense. You get a QB who's at least gone through some portion of an NFL training camp and tutored under people for a year already. He'd have to learn a new system again, but he'd almost be guaranteed to be a step in preparedness above any other QB that you could draft.