Show me the money!!!

Wesson44

We are trying to get our valued players.

Bears | Team working on extension for Harris

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:17:40 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are laying the groundwork on a contract extension for DT Tommie Harris.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Team working on extension for Hester

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:15:36 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are laying the groundwork on a contract extension for WR Devin Hester.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Team working on extension for Gould

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:03:07 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are laying the groundwork on a contract extension for PK Robbie Gould.

We are trying to get our valued players.

Bears | Team working on extension for Harris

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:17:40 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are laying the groundwork on a contract extension for DT Tommie Harris.

Bears | Team working on extension for Hester

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:15:36 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are laying the groundwork on a contract extension for WR Devin Hester.

Bears | Team working on extension for Gould

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:03:07 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are laying the groundwork on a contract extension for PK Robbie Gould.

Hesters contract will probably be one of the most interesting in the history of the NFL.

Guest TerraTor
Hesters contract will probably be one of the most interesting in the history of the NFL.

Its gonna be weird. He is the absolute best at his "position" but doesnt actually have one. Does he get Marvin Harrison money? Or dare i say Bernard Berrian money?

Speaking of show me the money, has Urlacher been quoted anywhere as saying he wants a new deal? I don't know who was on the Score last night, but he was bitching about Urlacher wanting to rework his deal and how he thinks it's a load of crap. Urlacher should just play out his contract. He signed it and now half way into it he wants to renig on his end. yada yada yada. While I agree, to some extent, about players that sign deals, then want to change it a couple years later. I haven't heard anything from Urlacher regarding this. Maybe this all stems from Couch's article, but there isn't one quote from one source in the whole dam thing. What kind of reporting is that??

If Urlacher went to the Bears quitely and asked if his contract could be reworked to get more inline with what's going on today, I really don't have a problem with it. All of us try to get more money at our job. Normally, I say screw you, play out the contract you signed, but if he went to them amicably and there's no talk of hold outs(which I could never see him doing) or anything, and the Bears can get him some guranteed money without straining the cap or whatever..then I'm all for it. He's our best player and has proved his value.

I think it also relevant that Urlacher signed a freaking 9 year contract, which is not even legal anymore, and has played through 5 or 6 seasons under it. He is our franchise player, yet not only isn't among the best paid at his position, is not even among the best paid on the team.

If Urlacher were bitching to the media, and making this a big public issue, than I would have an issue, but as you said, if he is simply talking to the team behind closed doors, and keeping everything inhouse, I see no problem w/ it.

I have a much bigger issue w/ a player that signs a 5 year deal and 2 years later is publically complaining than Urlacher who played 5 years of a ridiculous 9 year deal, and quickly tries to begin talks.

What I think is most fair would be to offer him a middle of the road WR contract, which is pretty sizable these days, while also offering some hefty incentives. That way, we are paying him as the best special teams player, while at the same time, giving him the opportunity to get truly big bucks if he develops into a stud WR.