Bryant Johnson ????

ASHKUM BEAR

Supposedly Sirius Radio said Johnson was close to signing with the Bears? I can't find a site linking this rumor, but I caught it on other message boards. Wouldn't this be a pleasant surprise.

Bryant Johnson to Bills, Bucs or Skins?

Joel Segal, the agent for free-agent wide receiver Bryant Johnson, said Wednesday night that he is in negotiations with three teams -- not including the Bears -- and anticipates having a deal done by the weekend. Interest in Johnson, a former first-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals, had appeared to cool because of a high asking price. The only team he is known to have visited is Buffalo, though Tampa Bay and Washington are reported to be interested. After Berrian signed a $42 million deal with Minnesota on March 1, Johnson was considered at the top of the next tier of wideouts. -- Chicago Sun-Times

Link of Moose discussing the Bears

Moose on the Bears

Interesting. I hadn't heard much and had continued to hear rumors of Johnson being close to a deal with the Bills. I also remember preliminary talks involving the Bears scheduling a meeting with Johnson if he made it out of Buffalo without a contract but that talk came and went without a meeting.

I would be surprised if the Bears signed Johnson, but I would also be quite happy as it would take a bit of pressure off Angelo in the sense that WR wouldn't be as big of a need position come draft day (which I'm fine with because I still don't consider this a super strong WR class, like a lot of others do). Plus, I really believe the WR position is one where you can find a quality WR later on in the draft (small school type of guy).

49ers agreed to terms with WR Bryant Johnson on a one-year contract.

Johnson, 27, caught at least 40 passes in each of the last four years as Arizona's third receiver. He has the speed Mike Martz likes outside, but isn't known as a precise route runner, a requirement in Martz's offense. We've yet to see the financial terms, but his addition makes it less likely that Ashley Lelie will be on the team. Johnson could push Darrell Jackson to start

Marty Booker is currently considered the Bears' only "sure starter" at wide receiver heading to the draft.

Mark Bradley and Devin Hester are the top candidates to play opposite him. With the way the Bears coaching staff has spoken of Hester, he likely has the early edge. Mike Hass, Brandon Lloyd, Rashied Davis, and Brandon Rideau fill out the roster. Booker may be the weakest No. 1 receiver in the league.