Jake Long in talks with Fins

GakMan23

They're also talking with Gholston. I'm sure the other Long will be involved at some point too. Looks like they are just going to see who they can sign the easiest since there is not real clear cut #1 guy out there.

Frankly, I dont see how they dont go Jake Long but that's just my opinion.

Looks like he may be the first pick in the draft if they can come to a contractual agreement.

DOLPHINS GAVE JAKE LONG A DEADLINE

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2008, 10:47 a.m.

It has now been widely reported that the Miami Dolphins are engaging in contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and that if the two parties can reach a satisfactory deal, Long will be the first pick in the draft.

But Peter King of SI.com reports that negotiations won’t drag out until the draft. According to King, Long is the only player the Dolphins are actively negotiating with right now, but there is a deadline for Long to accept the deal the Dolphins have offered. If Long doesn’t accept by the deadline, the Dolphins will try to find a player — most likely Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston — who will accept a contract favorable to the team.

King also reports that Dolphins front office boss Bill Parcells is hoping to achieve “the victory of paying this year’s first pick less than the first pick earned last year.”

Paying this year’s top pick less than the Raiders gave quarterback JaMarcus Russell last year certainly would constitute a victory. Contracts for top rookies rise every year, just as the salary cap rises every year. If Parcells became the team executive who convinced a top overall pick to take less, that would be a major achievement.

It would also be good business for the Dolphins. Every dollar the Dolphins save on the first pick is a dollar they can spend to upgrade the roster elsewhere, and this is a team that needs help all over the place.

The problem is that no agent wants to be known as the one whose client agreed to take less money. That means there’s a good chance that the Dolphins will fail to find a player willing to take less than Russell got last year — even though some player might end up turning down an offer from the Dolphins, only to eventually accept a deal for even less money from a team that takes him later in the draft.

These stories always kill me. I read about how a player's agent wants to play hardball, because he doesn't want to be viewed as accepting a deal considered less than market value, but at the same time, if they play hardball, he is not likely to be the top pick, and while he may not fall far, he is likely to end up w/ a contract worth less than whatever the #1 team is offering.

If he falls to KC at #5, I would bet the deal he gets is considerably inferior to the deal Miami is offering. The agent was boast about how the deal was a solid deal for the #5 pick, but the reality is the deal would be less than what Miami offered, and the player would miss out on being the #1 pick in the draft.

These stories always kill me. I read about how a player's agent wants to play hardball, because he doesn't want to be viewed as accepting a deal considered less than market value, but at the same time, if they play hardball, he is not likely to be the top pick, and while he may not fall far, he is likely to end up w/ a contract worth less than whatever the #1 team is offering.

If he falls to KC at #5, I would bet the deal he gets is considerably inferior to the deal Miami is offering. The agent was boast about how the deal was a solid deal for the #5 pick, but the reality is the deal would be less than what Miami offered, and the player would miss out on being the #1 pick in the draft.

I hope the Fins sign him and soon. And that it is a deal lower than last year's no. 1. I also read that with the time cut this year in every pick, teams will be looking to arrange their trades ahead of time. That would make me happy as things always take until teams get on the clock.

Looks like Jake doesn't want to work for the chicken of the sea as he isn't dolphin safe

JAKE DOESN’T WANT TO BE A DOLPHIN?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2008, 12:50 p.m.

As the agent for Michigan tackle Jake Long continues to negotiate with the Miami Dolphins regarding the possibility of working out a contract before the time comes for the Dolphins to make their pick, there’s a report that Jake isn’t all that juiced about playing for the Fins.

John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com reports that “[t]he word on the street” is that Long doesn’t want to play in Miami. But talks are continuing between the team and Long’s agent because of the “special honor” of being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. (Yeah, those Steve Emtman rookie cards are going for about 100 . . . yen.)

Czarnecki says that, if/when the talks with Jake Long break down, the Fins won’t move on to defensive end Chris Long. The Virginia product, the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, has been presumed for several months to have the inside track because he’s the safest pick on the board.

The Fins apparently then would look after Jake Long to defensive end/linebacker Vernon Gholston. With talk of Gholston slipping in the eyes of other teams, he’d be very wise to take the best deal he can get, if/when he gets an opportunity to negotiate with the Fins.

Oh I don't know maybe what direction the Dolphins go will dictate what OT another team may take therefore affecting what players are available when the bears draft? That could possibly be what it has to do with the Bears. Thank you very much drive thru :cheers

Agreed. OT is considered one of, if not the top need position for the bears. While there is no chance Long falls to us, his going #1 or lower does have an affect. If he does not go #1, while I still think he won't fall, he could drop to KC. More and more reports have KC now looking at Albert, who otherwise could be a player we are looking at. Point is, how early the top OT goes could dictate how quickly other OL go off the board, thus affecting our pick.