Points of View, June, 2008

tshanno

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=262

Very slow news week. Here's hoping things pick up with the Bears Expo this weekend.

The Bears

The Chicago Tribune's Rick Morrissey wrote and interesting column on the Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton QB competition the other day. It expresses my point of view pretty well. But maybe it doesn't. But maybe it does...

Pat Kirwan at NFL.com writes about camp battles to keep an eye on, highlight among others, the batle betwen Grossman and Orton:

Then, of course, there are the head-to-head battles between veterans that should have happened years ago but finally will take place in 2008. In Chicago, Rex Grossman has been promised nothing and Kyle Orton gets his shot to overtake the former first-round pick. As Lovie Smith said recently: "We'll let it play out." The Bears probably should have done that in 2006.

I'm not at all sure they're really doing it now, Pat. Ask Smith who starts if its a tie. Yeah. Its Grossman's job to lose. Case closed.

Having said that, Kirwan had this interesting statement:

I get the feeling in talking to Bears players that Orton has the huddle presence and the personality to win over the team.

Larry Mayer answers the question of whether Devin Hester is likely to start this year at WR:

There's no doubt in my mind that Devin Hester can emerge as an elite starting receiver in the NFL this season. We're all familiar with his incredible speed and explosiveness, but what often gets overlooked is that he has tremendous hands. I know he's muffed some punts the past two seasons, but I think that's more due to a lack of concentration. Working on offense in practice, he already catches the ball like a starting receiver. He just needs more reps to improve his timing and knowledge of the defense, and I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this season.

"lack of concentration" I guess that's techinically accurate. Very accurate... Mayer also says that Dusty Dvoracek participated in mini-camp. It was my understanding that he stayed on the sideline so that's good news to me. Maybe we'll finally find out what he can do this year.

Elsewhere

Formwer Bear and current Redskin DC Greg Blache of newly acquired DE Erasmus James. "Where coaches go awry is when they try to take a guy and push him and make him play before he's ready. We're going to let him play when he's ready." Back-handed swipe at teh Vikings?

Green Bay Packers running back Noah Herron thwarted a break-in at his home on Friday night by slugging one of the intruders with a bed post, the Brown County Sheriff's Department reported. Honestly, if you were going to rob someone, wouldn't you at least find out who lived there? "Uh, dude, maybe we should skip this one. He plays for the Packers. There's a rich, little old widow right down the street."

One Last Thought

Anyone remember these words?

"All that matters is I'm here with my teammates,'' Urlacher said Friday. ''That's really the only thing that matters right now."

Except when its not mandatory.