Trib article IDs Hanie invites

GrizzlyBear

The Colts, by the way, were one of the teams that contacted Hanie about trying out with them the day after the draft. Hanie instead chose the Bears over the Colts, St. Louis, Buffalo and his hometown Dallas Cowboys. He said he loved the tradition and history of the team and the quality of the organization. And there was one other thing: ''The Bears only had two quarterbacks on the roster. It was hard to beat that.''

Hanie's strategy worked.

Why were some people suggesting Hanie would be cut and placed on the practice squad? The 3rd QB doesn't even count on the roster limit...unless you want him to (which would remove the limitation of only being able to play him if you were willing to not allow QB's #1 & #2 back into the game). Because of this, and as the 3rd QB, there was never any chance he'd be cut, correct?

Hanie's strategy worked.

Why were some people suggesting Hanie would be cut and placed on the practice squad? The 3rd QB doesn't even count on the roster limit...unless you want him to (which would remove the limitation of only being able to play him if you were willing to not allow QB's #1 & #2 back into the game). Because of this, and as the 3rd QB, there was never any chance he'd be cut, correct?

He is on the 53 man roster. You're thinking of the 45 man game day roster. Teams have to inactivate 8 players. The 3rd string QB can be inactive but you can play him in the event of injuries. One note - I believe if he comes in the game before the 3rd quarter, the other 2 QBs cannot come back into the game.

Personally, I am happy as hell we kept him on the 53 man roster. I think he will be a starter eventually (give him 2 yrs watching from the sideline).

Peace

He is on the 53 man roster. You're thinking of the 45 man game day roster. Teams have to inactivate 8 players. The 3rd string QB can be inactive but you can play him in the event of injuries.

Correct.

Personally, I am happy as hell we kept him on the 53 man roster. I think he will be a starter eventually (give him 2 yrs watching from the sideline).

I have no clue if he will or won't be with the team later this year, next year or two years from now. He looks like a poised guy with potential. I'm glad we kept him too. Time will tell if he has what it takes to challenge for #1 or #2 on this team. My hope is Orton continues to show he's got what it takes and we're only looking for a #2 at the end of this season (which assumes Grossman will be allowed to look elsewhere.)