New Metallica album kicks...

BearFan2000

Anyone else digging the new Metallica album? This is everything St. Anger was supposed to be which failed miserably. I think of Anger as the potential good album that never was. Finally Metallica is sounding like their old selves again. Just wondered if there were any other fans on this site. I'm working on an acoustic cover/interpretation of The Day That Never Comes that I intend to record in Garage Band. Some this stuff would make nice background music for some Bears highlight footage.

It is amazing! Heck, I've hated the band ever since they popped things up with Load and re-Load. Then St. Anger seemed like they wanted to rock, but kept throwing too much sing-songy garbage in each cut. If I want sing songly stuff, I don't need Metallica to do it! I want pure metal, and that's what the new album offers! Rick Rubin did a phenomenal job of getting them back to the old sound. Bob Rock has been crippling and enabling them for years! It's so rereshing! I cant get it our of my car! People next to me wonder what this bald man in his sedan is banging his head to!

Good luck with the cover! That jam had a lot of chord and tempo changes! I dabble in the bass, and the only thing I can cover are Ramoes jams!

I keep seeing visions of Bears linebackers past and present tatoo-ing opponenets to "My Apocalypse"!

Anyone else digging the new Metallica album? This is everything St. Anger was supposed to be which failed miserably. I think of Anger as the potential good album that never was. Finally Metallica is sounding like their old selves again. Just wondered if there were any other fans on this site. I'm working on an acoustic cover/interpretation of The Day That Never Comes that I intend to record in Garage Band. Some this stuff would make nice background music for some Bears highlight footage.

At least it's really only in the beginning of the track...and agreed that one is the worst. And yet, it still does manage to rock in the end.

I love it. Have already gone through it twice. Not a bad track on there, although Un4given III is kinda weak, IMO. Piano solo on a Metallica album?

At least it's really only in the beginning of the track...and agreed that one is the worst. And yet, it still does manage to rock in the end.

Agree, it doesn't quite fit the album or it's namesake songs. If it was named anything else I'd probably not make any connection to The Unforgiven or the Unforgiven II. The piano intro threw me but I've grown to really like that song. But it is the odd ball track out of a very fast and heavy album. But even Ride the lightning had it's ballad in Fade to Black. I wasn't sure what to expect with the new album. Would it be another disappointment. So much hype about getting back to their roots but they said that last time and we got St. Anger which could have been called St. Chaos. I saw Some Kind of Monster and thought "they are done." The band that were the masters of metal were going down in flames. Seeing videos of them now the group seems to be having fun again and are more cohesive than they've been in a long time. Rick Rubin's done a great job at helping refocus them. The other relief has been that Jame's vocals don't sound like the tortured animal that they did in St. Anger and in many of the live performances I've seen on youtube. Gone are the painful vocals, paint can drums, cruddy production, etc. Back are the shredding solos, fast tempos, real drums, solid vocals, harmony guitars, crushing riffs, crazy tempo changes. It's kind of like listening to Lightning, Puppets, and Justice for the first time. You have to listen to it a few times not because your trying to force yourself to like it but to absorb all that's going on. Rubin's comment about them getting back to the essense of Metallica is a fitting way to describe the album. There's a little bit of everything in here. IMHO it's probably closest to the direction they were heading with puppets before Cliff died. The next album should be interesting. Just hope it's not another 5 years. They aren't getting any younger and neither am I LOL.