I hope Olsen's fumble wasn't a "defining moment"

bradjock

Some seasons you can't point to a defining moment, which shaped the course of the season, for better or for worse.

In 2001 I'd say it was the miracle catch by Raymont Harris vs. San Fran, and then the following interception for a return by Mike Brown.

In 2002 I'd say it was Leon Johnson trying to catch the punt with his face-mask.

In 2007, when the Bears had the lead vs. Dallas and Bernard Berrian let a certain touchdown bounce of his hands.

In 2008, the Bears have moment, we have a 17 to 3 lead, and we had a Carolina team that looked frustrated. Greg Olsen hands Carolina the ball in scoring position. Carolina scores, momentum shifts . . . the end.

I'm not saying this is the defining moment . . . heck with Detroit & Minnesota both losing today there's a lot to be optimistic about. That being said, if we lose next week . . .

The miracle catch in 2001 vs the Noners was David Terrell. That brought us within 2 pts and then Anthony Thomas ran it in for the 2pt conversion to tie the game at 31 all.

But point taken. I hope that it is a defining moment of the season in a positive way that wakes everyone up that they all have to do their part and contribute. That we had the lead and momemntum and then snatched a loss out of the jaws of victory. Today should be a wake up call that we can't get a lead and just sit and coast and hope you can ride out a win. The offense went into a shell and and when they needed to step up they failed. Olsen is a recieving TE which means he should be used to catching the ball and being tackled he needs to secure the ball. Once you might be able to forgive but twice in one half on plays that looked very similar. This cost us points and in turn cost us the game. In close games everyone needs do their part. Mistakes in games like this are magnified and become turning points in a game. Till that point we had just scored off of an awsome INT by Tillman and had Carolina on their heels. We were moving the ball then Olsen caughs it up and they score 10 straight points. We are now on our heels and they are gaining confidence on each play. The tired Defense surrenders a TD and just like that we're down 3 with just over 3 min remaining and we had two offensive possessions where we did nothing. The last posession we had good starting field position and only needed to get into FG range to tie it up and we couldn't even do that.

I think it's pre-mature to say that...but I can'e xpress how disappointed in him I am. OK, it happens once...but twice? That's just inexcusable. I personally think he should be benched for a game and let him figure out how to hold onto a ball one week. Clark can hold the fort just fine. But I'm just irritated at the moment.

Some seasons you can't point to a defining moment, which shaped the course of the season, for better or for worse.

In 2001 I'd say it was the miracle catch by Raymont Harris vs. San Fran, and then the following interception for a return by Mike Brown.

In 2002 I'd say it was Leon Johnson trying to catch the punt with his face-mask.

In 2007, when the Bears had the lead vs. Dallas and Bernard Berrian let a certain touchdown bounce of his hands.

In 2008, the Bears have moment, we have a 17 to 3 lead, and we had a Carolina team that looked frustrated. Greg Olsen hands Carolina the ball in scoring position. Carolina scores, momentum shifts . . . the end.

I'm not saying this is the defining moment . . . heck with Detroit & Minnesota both losing today there's a lot to be optimistic about. That being said, if we lose next week . . .

I personally think he should be benched for a game and let him figure out how to hold onto a ball one week. Clark can hold the fort just fine. But I'm just irritated at the moment.

I've never been impressed by Olsen, and those two fumbles cost the Bears the game. I want to see Olsen, McGowan, and Davis deactivated this week for their suckitude, and give AP, Steltz, and Bennett game uniforms.

As mentioned...I'm venting...but I'm giving him the treatment on learning how to hold onto a freaking ball.

I don't want to hinder what small chance we have of winning the game, so no, I really don't want Olsen benched. But one more game like that and I do.

The stupidity of posts continues. The guy has a bad game and you want him inactive.

You people need to think before you post stupid crap.

I seen some quotes in the Sun-Times from Olsen.

He even said it was unacceptable. So, cut the guy some slack.

He manned up to it. His production will get better when we finally have a real QB.

Which god knows if we'll ever have one.

I feel bad for the entire team he let down... Olsen needs to learn how not to fumble the ball. Are Tiki Barber's teachers available?

I feel bad for him. I think he's a good guy. And he's smart enough to know that the Bears win that game if he could've eliminated even one of those fumbles, so he probably feels pretty bad about it.

The stupidity of posts continues. The guy has a bad game and you want him inactive.

You people need to think before you post stupid crap.

The only stupid crap comes from somebody who minimizes a two-catch, 7 yard day with 2 fumbles - that easily cost the Bears 14 points and the win - as only "a bad day". That's a disasterous outing. I'm not saying inactivate him permanently - I want him to sit for a game and think. Think really hard.

Meanwhile get Bennett on the field for some plays and see what he does. He might be a pleasant surprise. One thing's for sure, he couldn't do any worse than Greg did.

Different position...maybe give Davis a chance out there. But he got pounded on the 4-1.

The only stupid crap comes from somebody who minimizes a two-catch, 7 yard day with 2 fumbles - that easily cost the Bears 14 points and the win - as only "a bad day". That's a disasterous outing. I'm not saying inactivate him permanently - I want him to sit for a game and think. Think really hard.

Meanwhile get Bennett on the field for some plays and see what he does. He might be a pleasant surprise. One thing's for sure, he couldn't do any worse than Greg did.