Rex was Bad but

CrackerDog

What the hell happened to our pass rush?

Rex, off his back foot... No poise... Glad this is his last year. Hope Orton is back next week. Ran out of Tums watching Rex today.

Ah yes, lets take more shots at Rex in a Bob Babich thread?

Ah yes, lets take more shots at Rex in a Bob Babich thread?

Get off Rex's sack. I started this thread and the title lays out what it's about. If you can't deal with the fact that Rex looked like Rex during this game... Not my problem. I was one of his biggest defenders for a long time. In this game he proved precisely why we've moved on without him. He had two good series in the entire contest. He missed open receivers all friggen day. With anything close to just an average NFL QB perfomance out of him, we'd have won that game by 10. He had all week to prepare.

In short: He sucks.

What the hell happened to our pass rush?

IMHO, this is an even greater disappointment than Rex' performance, and that is due to expectations.

Tenn has a very good OL, but come on. I am sure players are part of the problem, but...

One. Maybe it is just me, but it seemed like we would blitz on 1st and 2nd down, but then back off and just rush 4 on 3rd downs. I'll never understand this. Those 3rd and long downs is when most teams decide to tee off on the QB.

Two. Effectiveness of the blitz. Maybe someone can explain it to me, but why did our run blitz seem so effective while our pass blitz was so ineffective. The down where Urlacher and Brown blew up the run play was obvious, but a key in our stopping the run was how much penetration our run blitz got. But why, on passing downs, did our run blitz seem so ineffective.

Three. One final thing I noticed that I thought was killing us, and also may help explain a tad why Urlacher is looking so weak this year. When the ball is snapped, Urlacher immediatly runs at the LOS. Basically, he is run blitzing the line. But if the QB keeps the ball, Urlacher stops and starts to backpeddle. Problem is, he is now in no-mans land. He is out of position to do anything vs the pass as he is too close to the LOS, and just trying to run backward into coverage area. I don't know if Urlacher is simply no longer capable of reading run plays, or if this is by design. As we were playing an elite run offense, I tend to think it was by design. My thing was, why not just have him continue on the blitz. He is out of position to be any help in coverage, so why not allow him to simply continue on at the QB.

We have to adjust the scheme. Lovie will continue to deny it like his sorry ass self but the proof is in the pudding. Lovie, why is it that guys like Dan Orlovsky, Brian Griese, and Kerry Collins throw for 300 yards against this defense when they are suppose to be game managers? It makes absolutely NO SENSE at all for Vasher and the other CB's to be forcing WR's to get to the middle of the field. What's the hardest pass for a quarterback to throw? Uh, that would be the outs to the sidelines, definitely not slant patterns. GET A CLUE LOVIE!!

When e constantly get beat on 3rd and long, exactly when we are in the cover 2 scheme, there is definitely a problem with it. I don't know what is going through the minds of our coaching staff in not adjusting this problem. Also I think Babich always misplaces the LB's on passing plays, they are always out of position to make a play. Also, like previously mentioned we definitely need to be more creative on blitzes, they are always being picked up which is unacceptable.